The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OEL - do we really need him?

Rate this topic

dougieL

19 minutes ago, kilgore said:

You don't start a "Do we really need him" thread if its a rhetorical question.

You have to go out on a limb a little. With Burrows, he hadn't made it yet onto the Sedin's line. He was still a scrappy little french Canadian pest.  But it was obvious to enough of us that Burrows was very valuable to the team, even if he just kept doing what he was doing.  But as he moved up the lines, and increased ice time, it became more and more of a joke.

It has to be someone on the team that is not talked about much.  Or questionable as to if they are in the long time plans of the team.  A player who some think is underappreciated for what he brings. Goes under the radar.

Someone like............Burroughs.

I always took the "Do we really need him?" threads now as more of a hopeful reverse jinx to the hockey gods than anything else. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think he looks terribly slow. I would do a full physical. I would compare his bicycle 02 test before covid and after. 

I'm sure there's lingering effects from covid. The boy doesn't look right. When he skates it's like the rusty tin man. 

He has no gas or giddy up out there. 

I would scan his entire health package. 

He looked OK last season, not worth the money but not a liability either.

This year, he's been pretty awful. If he's not injured, and this is just his natural decline, then we definitely don't want or need him. I was somewhat excited when this trade happened, I thought he might experience a resurgence playing on a decent team finally. Well, that sure didn't happen :(

3 hours ago, dougieL said:

All I said was that Wolanin appears to look no worse and appears to contribute no less than OEL. Do you disagree? But since you mentioned it, yes, if OEL actually played up to his $7.26m cap hit, the Canucks would probably be higher up in the standings.

Small samples don't mean squat. We also thought Martin was the goaltender of the future for Vancouver for his first 10 games...

• Upvote 2

Funny enough I kept my eye particlarly on both Brisebois and Wolanin llast night and although Hughes was used a lot I don't think there can be many complaints aabout the other two LHD. We have to solve the Cap problem, these two might be a step in the right direction

Here's an interesting snippet for Stillman enthusiasts in our midst, likely the same people who swooned about Juolevi :lol:

Since the beginning of the 2020-21 season, Riley Stillman has the third-worst Corsi Against per-60 (63.4) among defencemen who have played at least 1000 even-strength minutes.

• Wat 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

I always took the "Do we really need him?" threads now as more of a hopeful reverse jinx to the hockey gods than anything else. 

You may be onto something there DSVII.  :mellow:

I can see it now.  All these early posts will start to look foolish when OEL suddenly, out of the blue, starts to play like the young rookie taken sixth overall. For whatever reason, a new hot wife, a new Swedish herbal remedy, a different curve on his stick, who knows?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kilgore said:

You may be onto something there DSVII.  :mellow:

I can see it now.  All these early posts will start to look foolish when OEL suddenly, out of the blue, starts to play like the young rookie taken sixth overall. For whatever reason, a new hot wife, a new Swedish herbal remedy, a different curve on his stick, who knows?

I have no idea how old you are but I can advise you time and tide wait for no man. OEL is not reverting to his youth and can only get worse on a long expensive contract. It serves no purpose to show clips of a by gone era

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Strawbone said:

He looked OK last season, not worth the money but not a liability either.

This year, he's been pretty awful. If he's not injured, and this is just his natural decline, then we definitely don't want or need him. I was somewhat excited when this trade happened, I thought he might experience a resurgence playing on a decent team finally. Well, that sure didn't happen :(

I'm not sure it's a natural decline. To me the major difference I see is covid. Since covid some players never bounced back. He looks like he has that stiffness about him. I had the bad covid and feel that everyday. 

9 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'm not sure it's a natural decline. To me the major difference I see is covid. Since covid some players never bounced back. He looks like he has that stiffness about him. I had the bad covid and feel that everyday. 

That sucks, I hope it gets better eventually. And nobody is paying you $8mil a year to feel crummy, which would probably take the edge off!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Buying his contract out is so shortsighted that it wouldn't even be shooting ourselves in the foot; it would be completely discharging our firearm into our crotch.

Sure, it gives you some relief next year, and possible relief in subsequent years, but then you're extending the hurt by carrying dead cap for twice the length of the remaining contract duration, and paying the guy for services not rendered.  

image.jpeg.75d5c76be84d710156bef08117d996a7.jpeg

Doesn't make business or roster construction sense at all.

The cap hit that extends beyond the the life of his current contract is actually quite small, and by 2027, will be a very small fraction of the cap. I think it's worth it if we use the savings next year to secure a first round pick, which we desperately need.

18 hours ago, dougieL said:

I'm really curious to see if they buy him out this summer. Our cap savings would be almost $7m next season; we could presumably use that space to take on bad money for a first round pick (dream scenario of course).

....but the cap hit after that and over the next 8 years would be......................OMG!

Ekman-Larsson buyout Canucks

32 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

....but the cap hit after that and over the next 8 years would be......................OMG!

Ekman-Larsson buyout Canucks

I know it sucks, but we do save around $9m in cap hit all told. That amount is worth more than a first round pick. Given our dearth of prospects, it might be the lesser of two evils.

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...

Although I'd prefer to see him moved if at all possible ... accepting we're stuck with him ...

I'm willing to see how he does with a healed foot and under Tocchet's expectations, which he knows.

We need him to be at his ceiling for the next couple years and at whatever best potential we can get out of him. So, in that regard, we need him. 

I wasn't sure about his relationship with Tocchet at first but it looks like there's mutual respect there, so hopefully that's what he needs.