The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Rangers trade Vitali Kravtsov to Canucks for William Lockwood, 2026 7th-round pick

5 minutes ago, Ballisticsports. said:

Put in another way

Which team in this years draft would trade their 10th overall pick  for a 3rd round pick and a 7th round pick 5 yrs from now?

No one

Rangers didn't do this to get better from this trade, they gifted us in order to get better this playoff in a trade to come

It remains to be seen if it's even a gift. He refused the AHL, twice if I recall. If we had a prospect do that we'd want him gone with the quickness. Except Tryamkin, fanbase loves that big idiot no matter what for some reason. I am excited to see what Kravtsovs got, but I think people really do tend to get out of hand. I seen people say he's good defensively and called him a powerforward. But that's the nature of other team's prospects, they're more overhyped. Then when they come here and don't meet those lofty misguided expectations the fanbase turns on them and they suck.

He's not a two way guy and he's not a powerforward and we don't even know if he'll be a legit bottom 6 guy, let alone come close to those 9th overall expectations. He has 10 points in his career. I want to see him in action, but I think we should tone down the expectations til we see him play. Buuuuut, we won't. People already have him slotted in the top 6 for us at some point.

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

10 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

It remains to be seen if it's even a gift. He refused the AHL, twice if I recall. If we had a prospect do that we'd want him gone with the quickness. Except Tryamkin, fanbase loves that big idiot no matter what for some reason. I am excited to see what Kravtsovs got, but I think people really do tend to get out of hand. I seen people say he's good defensively and called him a powerforward. But that's the nature of other team's prospects, they're more overhyped. Then when they come here and don't meet those lofty misguided expectations the fanbase turns on them and they suck.

He's not a two way guy and he's not a powerforward and we don't even know if he'll be a legit bottom 6 guy, let alone come close to those 9th overall expectations. He has 10 points in his career. I want to see him in action, but I think we should tone down the expectations til we see him play. Buuuuut, we won't. People already have him slotted in the top 6 for us at some point.

I for one wan’t to see what he can do here during the rest of the season before setting any expectations in my mind.

I’m pretty sure he’ll get a chance on just about every line here and that is a good thing. The team will have a pretty good picture about where he is at before the summer. The potential is there and I’m excited to see what he can bring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

long listen, but a lot of great context on VK

summary:

• He wasn’t Drury’s pick, and CD was public about not liking the pick
  • Drury publicly called him out for not working hard enough a few years ago
  • Gallant would demote him from the 2nd to 4th line for a defensive forward to hold leads, so he rarely played a full game in a top 6 role
  • Gallant scratched him after playing well in wins, sometimes 4 games in a row in favour of AHL players, Blais or Lechyshyn
  • VK used his opt out clause to play in the KHL twice, after being assigned to the AHL
  • VK showed well in training camp, but didn’t make the roster
  • VK regularly stayed after practice to practice one timers with Panarin
  • He worked very hard this year, and went to dirty areas to get the puck
  • VK asked for a trade publicly after being scratched recently
  • Podcaster felt there was blame on all sides, and expected a 2nd as trade return 

FWD: Tocchet@Canucks.com

CC: Tocchet@Canucks.com

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I thought you were getting out of hand pumping JB and Lockwood with math to DeNiro::D and why i made the comment about what team would trade this years 10th oa for a 3rd rounder (Lockwood) and a 7th rounder 4 yrs from now?

No team would I said

Had JB made this trade he would have given up much more than we did like when he traded for a unsigned ufa Suter and gave him a big contract before he even played a game for us, 

We wanted to get younger and faster and did so for very little - a great LOW RISK, HIGH REWARD trade

Maybe he won't pan out, but he cost very lil to find out and won't cost us huge dollars and lengthy contract to see if the chemistry fits

So glad we are no longer paying top dollar and term on bottom 9 forwards

Glaf you now mention you're excited to see what Kravtsov's got, as many else are as well

8 hours ago, Ballisticsports. said:

I thought you were getting out of hand pumping JB and Lockwood with math to DeNiro::D and why i made the comment about what team would trade this years 10th oa for a 3rd rounder (Lockwood) and a 7th rounder 4 yrs from now?

No team would I said

Had JB made this trade he would have given up much more than we did like when he traded for a unsigned ufa Suter and gave him a big contract before he even played a game for us, 

We wanted to get younger and faster and did so for very little - a great LOW RISK, HIGH REWARD trade

Maybe he won't pan out, but he cost very lil to find out and won't cost us huge dollars and lengthy contract to see if the chemistry fits

So glad we are no longer paying top dollar and term on bottom 9 forwards

Glaf you now mention you're excited to see what Kravtsov's got, as many else are as well

Move on bro, damn. 

Edited by -DLC-

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

long listen, but a lot of great context on VK

summary:

• He wasn’t Drury’s pick, and CD was public about not liking the pick
  • Drury publicly called him out for not working hard enough a few years ago
  • Gallant would demote him from the 2nd to 4th line for a defensive forward to hold leads, so he rarely played a full game in a top 6 role
  • Gallant scratched him after playing well in wins, sometimes 4 games in a row in favour of AHL players, Blais or Lechyshyn
  • VK used his opt out clause to play in the KHL twice, after being assigned to the AHL
  • VK showed well in training camp, but didn’t make the roster
  • VK regularly stayed after practice to practice one timers with Panarin
  • He worked very hard this year, and went to dirty areas to get the puck
  • VK asked for a trade publicly after being scratched recently
  • Podcaster felt there was blame on all sides, and expected a 2nd as trade return 

Thanks for sharing this - very informative.

I'm at the point where I'm not going to get my hopes up about any one player but I think this is a good gamble.  Hopefully he feels a little more at home here with a fresh start and maybe we can give him some minutes playing with some of our skill guys.

• Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I like riling people up that keep bringing up Benning like the sad ex girlfriends that they act like. Move on bro, damn. 

You must have a large problem guarding/riling this forum.

The number of times I’ve seen Gillis brought up after Benning been here for/five years is immense. Insane one might say.

So to bring up Benning before new management been here less than two years is quite normal on here… Six more years you can rile people up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

I don't know. Personally, while AHL success is certainly good for the player, we see it way too many times where it doesn't translate to the NHL. At this point, you could just as easily say Kravtsov will make it and Lockwood will bust as you can the other way around.

I think perhaps the biggest thing to consider here is Lockwood is 24 while Kravtsov is 23. Time is starting to tick for Lockwood unless if he is to become a late bloomer. Kravtsov also has arguably had the better translation so far in the NHL scoring more points on a stacked team than Lockwood on our team. Sure, it's a small sample size, but the fact's still there. You just have to look at the statistics for proof.

So just looking at the 2 players straight up. If I had no attachment and had to choose between the two, I'd be going with Kravtsov, without question. Bigger potential upside, younger, and has scored a few points in the NHL already. We shouldn't be putting our attachments into this otherwise we're going to go about things the wrong way and not make trades like these, which I think are a lot more necessary than it may seem.

If nothing else, consider how low risk we're talking. Lockwood, if he makes it: he's not going to be a top scorer in the NHL, at least not likely. More likely 3rd line I would imagine. That's not a big risk to trade that away even if he is successful.

You're welcome to think otherwise of course, but I'm definately disagreeing with you on not liking this trade. I think these are the kinds of trades we need to do.

10 NHL points in 48 career games isn't a large sample size, it's also not great production. How was he being deployed in New York?