The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Rangers trade Vitali Kravtsov to Canucks for William Lockwood, 2026 7th-round pick

3 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Before everyone gives up on Kravtsov, have to remember that some guys need a bit of time to develop mentally.

How many people were writing off Petey last year b/c of how his play was affected by his head space.

Raty struggled big for the first 10 games, then put up 8 points in his next 10 games once he got his head right. 

Who knows if hes going to turn out, but he has put up big KHL numbers, so we know the skill level is there, and presumably thats where he was most comfortable.

Let him build some friendships, get mentored by his countryman Gonchar, and see where he's at in a year. 

Some of us in our 30s have forgotten what we were like in our early 20s. 

Some of us in our late 50's are quite aware of what we were like in our early 20's. 

My parents used to tell me if you believe in yourself and give 100 percent you can achieve anything you put your mind to.

I didn't do this until my  late 20's.

I hope Vitaly appreciates the fact he does have talent and pushes himself as an athlete, and person.

He could turn into a really good player. 

He doesn't have the luxury of waiting until I did if he wants to be a professional athlete in today's world.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Before everyone gives up on Kravtsov, have to remember that some guys need a bit of time to develop mentally.

How many people were writing off Petey last year b/c of how his play was affected by his head space.

Raty struggled big for the first 10 games, then put up 8 points in his next 10 games once he got his head right. 

Who knows if hes going to turn out, but he has put up big KHL numbers, so we know the skill level is there, and presumably thats where he was most comfortable.

Let him build some friendships, get mentored by his countryman Gonchar, and see where he's at in a year

Well he's Russian and the rule here is if any Russian refuses to report to the AHL to develop he's just an entitled and lazy Russian who has no value to the team. At least that's what I've observed the 13 or so years I'm in this forums :frantic:

Edited by iinatcc

15 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Let him build some friendships, get mentored by his countryman Gonchar, and see where he's at in a year. 

That may be true, but he's a 23 years old prospect, not a 20 years old, who apparently doesn't want to report to AHL.  He's also RFA and who knows what he's looking for in terms of commitment.  Let's not forget that the KHL is appealing for players of his age struggling to make it in the NHL.  He will make more money over there. 

So, I'm all up for being patient and all, but the players needs understand he's not ready for the NHL, and will have to earn his playing time and money down in the AHL.  Which I'm not sure he'll be able to accept that from what I'm reading about him so far.

50 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

That may be true, but he's a 23 years old prospect, not a 20 years old, who apparently doesn't want to report to AHL.  He's also RFA and who knows what he's looking for in terms of commitment.  Let's not forget that the KHL is appealing for players of his age struggling to make it in the NHL.  He will make more money over there. 

So, I'm all up for being patient and all, but the players needs understand he's not ready for the NHL, and will have to earn his playing time and money down in the AHL.  Which I'm not sure he'll be able to accept that from what I'm reading about him so far.

While retooling the supporting cast we are going to see a lot of young guys (who cost us nothing) get opportunity to be part of our successful future. Most won’t be the guys we need to win. This management knows finding these guys for nothing is key. 

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

What he said as a NYR isn't necessarily his attitude now. The trade alone likely suggests to him that his opportunity is narrowing. He is now on a team with a large Russian contingent to counsel him. If he has to go to Abby I suspect he will. If he doesn't he will likely be gone. 

15 hours ago, R3aL said:

for sure and It’s so many players that need a big summer 

I hope so too

I was initially suspect of Tocchet when management hired him. But I've liked what he's done with the group and how he's keeping his team/players accountable without throwing them under the bus, or shaming them publicly in front of the media. He's done well. Now I'd like to see him do it over the span of an entire season, if he can't, then there's nothing left except to blow the team up, and that's going to be hard with Hughes and Petey on the team, unless that means trading those two guys as well. 

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

What he said as a NYR isn't necessarily his attitude now. The trade alone likely suggests to him that his opportunity is narrowing. He is now on a team with a large Russian contingent to counsel him. If he has to go to Abby I suspect he will. If he doesn't he will likely be gone. 

Yeah, Kravtsov really doesn't have much leverage here. If he doesn't report, then he's going back to the K. And maybe he comes back to the NHL one day like Kuzmenko has done (not same situation, but Kuz came at a later age and has played really well here). I suspect with the advice of Gonchar, Podkolzin (who spent time in Abby), he will go, and if he does, he will dominate, management will let him marinate, and the coaching staff in Abby will work with him to improve certain areas of his game. If he's open to that (huge IF), I think he comes back to the big club all the better for it. If he doesn't, then he's probably a bust at that point. 

13 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, Kravtsov really doesn't have much leverage here. If he doesn't report, then he's going back to the K. And maybe he comes back to the NHL one day like Kuzmenko has done (not same situation, but Kuz came at a later age and has played really well here). I suspect with the advice of Gonchar, Podkolzin (who spent time in Abby), he will go, and if he does, he will dominate, management will let him marinate, and the coaching staff in Abby will work with him to improve certain areas of his game. If he's open to that (huge IF), I think he comes back to the big club all the better for it. If he doesn't, then he's probably a bust at that point. 

If he spent the offseason training very seriously and had to start the year in abby and force his way into our top 9 that would be pretty great.

I think you are right if Gonchar guides him and he has Kuzmenko, Podz and Mikehyev all agreeing its his best strategy to become an NHL top 6 impact Forward it would be silly not too

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

If he spent the offseason training very seriously and had to start the year in abby and force his way into our top 9 that would be pretty great.

I think you are right if Gonchar guides him and he has Kuzmenko, Podz and Mikehyev all agreeing its his best strategy to become an NHL top 6 impact Forward it would be silly not too

Lol so only a Russian can help him? 

If Kravstov goes back to russia there's no guarantee for him he is not sent to fight.  Many people are finding that formerly safe beliefs in their positions are vanishing and they are being drafted or mobilized.

Looks like this guy has some clear choices ahead of him if he wants to stay in NA

3 hours ago, myre said:

Lol so only a Russian can help him? 

No, but those guys are his peers and certainly know what it takes to become an NHL player.  The also are

more aware of what the situation on the home front.  He probably trusts them more that anyone else.

On 4/4/2023 at 3:11 PM, eeeeergh said:

And he needs to get in shape, apparently he is winded easily.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Biggest thing is just him getting in shape I think. He had some good looks when he first got here. If he can get in shape to be able to keep that sort of pace up, I think things could shift for him. I don't doubt his skills. It's just hard to use those skills when you're out of breath.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I'm really not worried about Kravtsov at this point. I think he has time here; however, next season could end up being the season that really determines his future.

This season I really don't care because we just got the kid along with whatever baggage he left NYR with.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1