The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

2 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

We have gotten a lot of young players this season. Kuzmenko, Bear, Beau, Raty, Kravatsov, Hronek, Bloom...that's a lot of young players added to the team. Subtract Horvat, Lockwood and Schenn and it doesn't seem much of a loss.

I'm not sure if I would call those players "young". Kuzmenko is 26, Bear is 25, Beau is 25, Räty is 20 (he can be classified as young), Kratsov is 23 (youngish), Hronek is 24, soon to be 25. Out of all those players you've listed, only 3 on that list can be considered as young - Räty (20), Kratsov (23) and Bloom (19). None of those three are gaurantees to become NHL players, let alone productive players in the league. 

• Like 1

Just now, N4ZZY said:

I'm not sure if I would call those players "young". Kuzmenko is 26, Bear is 25, Beau is 25, Räty is 20 (he can be classified as young), Kratsov is 23 (youngish), Hronek is 24, soon to be 25. Out of all those players you've listed, only 3 on that list can be considered as young - Räty (20), Kratsov (23) and Bloom (19). None of those three are gaurantees to become NHL players, let alone productive players in the league. 

Hronek is 25 (turned couple months ago) and Kuzmenko is 27 now

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

so we can’t buy out OEL because that penalty is gonna cost us another 8 years and oel has a 30 team nmc

At this point it’s going to take a 1st and 50% retainment to a team that he’s willing to waive his NMC for and actually would be interested in taking him off our hands

Benning is in the same tier as Messier as far as I’m concerned. f**k that guy

Could keep OEL, trade Myers, Miller, and/or Boeser and still free up capspace.

in any case, the team is stuck with an albatross I reckon. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

115 pages and we traded the NYI pick, which could be at 18.  I wonder how many pages we would get if JR traded our own 1st round pick?  

I doubt he will be because we have a high chance to draft Bedard 

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

Hronek is 25 yrs old. Is pretty young and same age group as Kuzmenko, Pettersson, Hughes, Demko etc. I think we are surrounding our young core with similar age players. It won't make sense to draft a D which will take minimum 2 to 3 years to develop which by that time our core would be 3 years older. A forward top 5 pick could very well make the team in a year or right from the year they got drafted if he is very talented.

This is precisely why I’m begging for Bedard. He would change everything. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Hronek is 25 according to the goog.

You're right tho our core is a year or two out from not really being young anymore. Lot of pressure to deliver in the next 1-2 years.

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

They’re all in a similar range to grow as a core together. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

5 minutes ago, awalk said:

Not Pubescents? 

It's a good mantra though

It has got me through the darkest time of my life, which while there is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel, I am still in it.

• Like 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

They’re all in a similar range to grow as a core together. 

Lot of pressure on them to grow very fast and become cup contenders within the next 3-4 years. That said pressure makes diamonds so maybe could work? Fingers crossed.

1 minute ago, awalk said:

Fwiw I can't recall a time when fans were so divided about a trade on here, so respectfully towards each other. So that's cool.

Maybe we are all just tired from all the losing.

I mean I did hope you got addicted to fentanyl, so there’s that. 

• RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I do consider 24 to 26 be young enough for a 5 to 7 year playoff run. No team will trade a 23 or younger player that is great so we would have to draft those players and wait 3 to 4 years for them to develop. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Hockey players have 10 good years, 20 - 30 they are all *&^*&^ young haha.  

1.Is the player skilled enough

2.Will he fit with your team 

3. What is his cap hit 

4. Does he factor into your timeline (this should be the only credit to age yet it seems overvalued in the league, (perhaps pace and injuries are a factor for aging players?)

1 minute ago, Strawbone said:

I've spent the day mulling this one over and read most of this thread. Man do we have a passionate fanbase, and I loved reading every bit of it. 114 pages is a bit ridiculous though. And some of y'all are crazy.

My take-away is that we got a good top pairing RHD, and that means we have two really good defencemen now, and not just one. That doubles the number of really good defencemen we have. I did the math, and it checked out. I think that makes a significant difference to this team's prospects over the coming years. They will add another good top-4 D I'm sure before next season.

That mostly resolves the Canucks defensive issues, in combination with a less leaky system under Tocchet. Maybe not the best in the league, but maybe top 12? I dunno, I'm a little drunk after a stressful day, but I think I'm in the ballpark. 

And given the team's elite scoring, the likelihood of getting a really good player with our 1st round pick that we still have this year, and a possible (probable?) return to form of Thatcher Demko, I'm actually excited to see what this team can do in the next 2-3 years.

It'll be interesting for sure. 

I'm not sure that Demko is going to be here long term. I think inevitably, he'll probably be traded, and room will be made for Silovs if he continues to trend in the right direction. I can see the team moving Demmers in the last year of his contract. That should give Silovs enough time to take the No. 1 position from Demko. 

Hronek is a good defenseman. I don't think anyone is really questioning that, and he's a natural RHD too. Something this team just has never been able to get a top pairing RHD for whatever reason. I think it's just the timing. A few days earlier, Allvin is making moves that would indicate that we're building for the future, and now today's trade would indicate that we're competing for the short term. Which one is it? 

I agree that any defenseman that we draft this year isn't going to make the team until 2-3 years down the road most likely (who knows, really, though with development). At that time, Hughes will be 25/26 years old, Petey will be 27/28 years old. Will Pettersson and Hughes want to remain at that time with the club? Because if those two guys go, it's a full on rebuild, whether management wants to admit it or not. These two are the players we're building around. Without them, this team is compete and utter trash. 

1 minute ago, awalk said:

Lot of pressure on them to grow very fast and become cup contenders within the next 3-4 years. That said pressure makes diamonds so maybe could work? Fingers crossed.

As long as Aqualini can turn a profit, I’m sure that’s all that really matters.