The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

That makes a lot of sense. I guess the loss of a 1st still stings, but if people looked at it through the lens of a retool, then the trade makes sense. If fans are looking the trade through the lens of a rebuild, then this trade infuriates so many. 

Fans want a rebuild. Management is moving towards a retool. 

That's where some media and fans are upset. They're wanting one thing, and hoping that management will do what they want. But management is firm and hard on a retool. It is what it is. I'm looking forward to the moves that Allvin and management is probably looking to do. Miller and Brock on the move today? 

Miller isn't going anywhere.  Brock, however, stay tuned...

9 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Ah, I see. 

So wait, is Hronek an offensive defenseman, or a defensive one? Because if he's an offensive dman, that doesn't make too much sense to pair him with Hughes. 

As I get it he is an offensive dman that likes to carry the puck into offensive zone like Hughes does.

So he playes the other 30 minutes Huhhes doesn’t.

So practically we only need 5 man in D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

And some people thought we were going into a full rebuild and trading Miller!!  :lol:

Wake up people. JR is 74 years old. We are shooting for the playoffs next season. 

I knew we were gonna use the NYI pick to get a RHD. It was so obvious. Love Hronek. He could get 60 points playing in Vancouver. 

Yeah for sure, I’m sure you knew we were gonna do that lol 

surprised mind reading GIF

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Our power play is going to be unstoppable...

and he seems to have a shot like ep40 , a blaster ..imagine trying to stop ep40 and flip for BIG 1 timers, set up by QH/Miller, and than u will have to contend with kuz deflection prowess , exciting times ahead forsure on the PP

• Vintage 2

been doing a bit of research and i've seen detroit fans and pundits say he's like a right handed chychrun with a little less of a scoring prowess but is equal if not a little more stable all around.

been watching some of his highlights he has a heck of a slap shot.

kind of sami salo-esque imo.

excited about that.

we haven't had a bomb from the point ever since the prime edler/salo days.

ppl can keep crying about what we gave up to acquire him but what's done is done. time to live with it.

he'll definitely be a much welcome addition to our defence is for sure.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, stawns said:

2012-15 they tried to get it back, hard to fault them after to getting to game 7 and how do you "rebuild" when your key pieces only give you 1-2 options for a deal?

After a couple misses (though OJ was injury related) they got their man in Petey and thats when the "rebuild" started.  Since then they've managed to put together a pretty good young core of players........it's now a matter of supporting them properly.

Why would they to go back to the beginning of that process?  Or do you not think Petey, Hughes and Demko can be successful in Van?

There was a good argument for tearing it down totally around 2014-2015... 

Get a crap goalie etc.

But now with Petey and QH entering their primes? It was never going to be a prolonged tank. Petey and QH won't hang around, unless they see progress... and not progress based on picks that may be stars in 5-6 years. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

One more thing on the hilarity for this

Vancouver gave up a 1st (NYI) and a 2nd to Detroit to get a 25 year old RHD Top 4 D-Man. 

This was done because Vancouver was addressing a need and you think ok fair enough. 

Until you realize that Vancouver gave up a 2nd in 2015 to Calgary and the player Calgary ended up picking is Rasmus Andersson who is a Top 4 RHD playing top pairing minutes for the Flames and is 26 years old. 

Ryan Gosling Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

Craig Button just gave Allvin an A+ for his total return for Horvat.  Beauvillier, Hronek, and Raty.  Onrait said it looks like the best return of the trade deadline so far.

Thanks Dixon. 

Kind of funny that one of the folks we all look towards for rankings prior to the draft, gives Allvin an A+....

Maybe its not so bad after all. 

5 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

When you frame it that way, it really looks nice.  

Didn’t think we’d get a RD and C for Bo alone.

A lot rides on Raty’s development, of course… and what we do with Beau.

If Beau continues to play like this, this trade will be one of those that just keeps on giving...

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

probably an underwhelming defenseman. 

A part of me wonders whether Allvin is trying to recoup a 1st or a 2nd from the Hronek trade. 

I think Boeser will find a second wind and go on a goal scoring streak upping his value. Timing isn't good right now to move him. 

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

7M? He'll either walk, or he'll be traded. No way we can afford that, or even if we could, should we sign him to that kind of deal? 

They didn't just spend a 1st + 2nd on a rhd, just to let him walk next year.....

2 hours ago, TripleSedins said:

I'd be happy to watch the Canucks compete hard and have a shot at the playoffs, really the odds of "winning the cup" are low for almost every team and there are better teams but it has to start with good hockey.  It is that something special that makes a team come together for a run and this is something that is unquantifiable. There can only be one winner but damn there can be good hockey.

Seeing the lack of compete the last few seasons has been hard for us all and trying to understand why our franchise has been unable to put together an entertaining team has been even more frustrating. I don't think we are the only team in the league dealing with this issue. Is it a league issue or franchise issue, so far as I can tell cap flexibility due to league parity/restrictions has hurt the Canucks along with other teams in successful markets. Time for a new commish ... just saying

I think dealing with OEL will help change that non compete level. Expectations have always been too high for OEL and its fools gold to play him as a top 4 guy. If management can can hold out one more year his buyout next June will cost 4M, 4M, then four years 1.8M cap

3 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

They are also fast tracking and making sure that pick gets us the player whether it's the draft or through trading that pick. Imagine if Boeser gets us a young D prospect or let's us recoup a 2nd round pick this year. I think Canucks aren't done. 

If Boeser gets us MP or POJ and we make a splash in UFA and get Severson I’d say that’s a job very well done 

Hughes-Severson

Petterson-Hronek

Dermott-Bear

is an excellent d-core and if all it took to get that was expiring UFA Horvat and a 2nd, AND we dumped Boeser with a bit of retention, that’s a tidy piece of work. 

assuming as well that we buy out OEL and that Myers gets moved 

1 hour ago, MNaslund?? said:

Yeah for sure, I’m sure you knew we were gonna do that lol 

surprised mind reading GIF

Well it was not really a massive surprise that they would trade for a player in that age group. 

JR used to trade away picks like candy, while in Pittsburgh, so yes it wasn't a huge surprise, he would use the pick, if he could get somebody that would fill a need. 

From a Detroit fan

“What the Wings need for the 2nd pair is a solid 2-way guy that’s more dependable in his own zone than Hronek was. The next guy likely isn’t top 20 in Defense scoring like Hronek is, but that’s ok. This team needs to be better defensively.”

Ralph Wiggum Danger GIF

12 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Aside from potential Aquilini-Rutherford puppet theories, this approach is being taken because this team now revolves around Pettersson and Hughes.

Drafting a bunch of RHD in this year's draft class requires 2-3 years to be ready for the NHL and then probably another 1-2 to become effective NHL'ers - assuming they even pan out. 

If everything goes well, Pettersson and Hughes will be pushing 30 by then and Miller/OEL will be past their primes. 

I understand the team is in shambles and we're in no position to compete, but how long are we going to take rebuild when Pettersson and Hughes are already in their prime?

There's one solution to fix all this then. Tear it all down including Pettersson and Hughes. 

What you say is true but it just means we are stuck in this vicious cycle of being bad or mediocre because Canucks try to patch a team to support Pettersson and Hughes. Maybe it would be best to do a full rebuild w/o any pressure of doing it during their primes.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

If Boeser gets us MP or POJ and we make a splash in UFA and get Severson I’d say that’s a job very well done 

Hughes-Severson

Petterson-Hronek

Dermott-Bear

is an excellent d-core and if all it took to get that was expiring UFA Horvat and a 2nd, AND we dumped Boeser with a bit of retention, that’s a tidy piece of work. 

assuming as well that we buy out OEL and that Myers gets moved 

I'd rather bring in Johansson and sign Livingstone.

Trade Bear and Myers