The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

Craig Button just gave Allvin an A+ for his total return for Horvat.  Beauvillier, Hronek, and Raty.  Onrait said it looks like the best return of the trade deadline so far.

And that's fair other than a high second round pick was given up as well.  The A+ was there to lose after the Horvat trade IMO and Beauvillier is part of that reason.

2 hours ago, RolexSub said:

Ok we make this trade, so are we suppose to try to make the playoffs with this move? Like I don't get it why give up a 1st and 2nd right now. Is he the only RHD we want out of 100's D's in the NHL and he is the only RHD in the league that fits our scope that we needed to make this trade now? 

I think this is probably close to reality. There are next to zero RD available. When this opportunity arose they took it while they could. Right or wrong. I'm assuming he must have scored high on their desirability and analytics department, etc.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, mordekai said:

One of the Detroit reporters said it is possible they don’t want to pay both Seider n Hronek 7 plus mil after next year for their RHD

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

Someone mentioned that they felt Hronek would be demanding near $8M.  Too much since he’s behind Seider in the pecking order. Also read in DET forum that Yzerman likes size and speed for his D men.

Was wondering if it had to do with his contractual status.  He would be behind Hughes in Vancouver, albeit on the other side.  Will be interesting to see if they play together with them both being rather on the lighter side.  

Yzerman did build a big D-corps in Tampa.  McDonagh, Cernak, Sergachev were added by him.  

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

I think this is probably close to reality. There are next to zero RD available. When this opportunity arose they took it while they could. Right or wrong. I'm assuming he must have scored high on their desirability and analytics department, etc.

Well, as another posted pointed out, he's #19 in D scoring this year.......8 more points than Seider.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, mll said:

Curious about Detroit's point of view.  I get the trade for Vancouver but why for Detroit.  Why did they value picks more than a player that seems to fit their timeline.  

Because they know he isn't as good as his stats indicate, and sold high on him.

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Was wondering if it had to do with his contractual status.  He would be behind Hughes in Vancouver, albeit on the other side.  Will be interesting to see if they play together with them both being rather on the lighter side.  

Yzerman did build a big D-corps in Tampa.  McDonagh, Cernak, Sergachev were added by him.  

Definitely part of it I think.  

As pointed out, Van is now the only team, other than TB, in the league with two players in the top 20 scoring for Dmen

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Hronek is a top pair defender this year based on advance metrics. You could see a 1a 1b defensive pairing

quinn-shutdown d

oel-Hronek

2 minutes ago, koregen said:

We need to fix our defense and this is the price.

Never said the price was wrong.  Was replying that if Canucks need to trade him next year, I doubt they can recoup the cost of the 1st and 2nd.  Because it would mean it was a failed experiment.  Just like Dickinson.  Canucks had to pay to get rid of him.

• Wat 1

Just now, BPA said:

Never said the price was wrong.  Was replying that if Canucks need to trade him next year, I doubt they can recoup the cost of the 1st and 2nd.  Because it would mean it was a failed experiment.  Just like Dickinson.  Canucks had to pay to get rid of him.

Depending on how next season goes, he'll easily get that.

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

Depending on how next season goes, he'll easily get that.

Yeah.  Depends on next season.

I’m sure the Canucks management thought they’d be in the playoffs this year too.  That didn’t turn out so well.

Just now, BPA said:

Yeah.  Depends on next season.

I’m sure the Canucks management thought they’d be in the playoffs this year too.  That didn’t turn out so well.

Well, he's improved every year so far, no reason to believe that won't continue in Van

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Vancouver is allergic to picks.

I don't think it's the right move at this time, they are overloaded with bloated contracts and even with a legit RHD they won't be competing for anything. Endless mediocrity 

• Like 1