The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Hroneck isn’t the player to get us there, but he’s that piece that starts to join together the jig saw puzzle we have before us.

How else are we going to continue to join together this jigsaw puzzle when we don't have anymore draft capital or cap space, or players with value to trade? 

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Livingstone on the RD and the young Swede, Johansson on the LD. D-Petey and Jurmo in a couple of years. 

I expect that Johansson will get a long look at the #3RD spot next season.  He has decent size, and has has a really good year so far in the SHL.  Long term, this would give us 3 PMD, 1 on each pair.  Now we just need to find 3 big stay at home defensive D to partner them with.

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

How else are we going to continue to join together this jigsaw puzzle when we don't have anymore draft capital or cap space, or players with value to trade? 

I don't think anyone's going to argue that it's not a difficult situation overall, but I can see that, if you get the opportunity to get the right players, it doesn't hurt to get those players. Sure, the timing could have been better, but what if we don't get the opportunity to get a Hronek in the next 2 years or longer? What then?

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Thomas Drance having an aneurysm on Donnie and Dhali...   :lol:

Drance thinks we are worse with Hronek, Beauvillier and Raty than keeping Horvat...   :lol:

This guy is a parasite and knows nothing about hockey...

Did he say why he thinks we are worse?

Bo had to be traded because he wouldn’t re-sign so he can’t be ignoring that aspect of the trade. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Bowen has a Stanley Cup, and was lights out in the Finals. 

And yes they kept their pick to draft Makar instead of trading it 

A Makar would be drafted with the 1st pick (3-6). not the NYI pick (14-18)

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

I expect that Johansson will get a long look at the #3RD spot next season.  He has decent size, and has has a really good year so far in the SHL.  Long term, this would give us 3 PMD, 1 on each pair.  Now we just need to find 3 big stay at home defensive D to partner them with.

I didn’t realize he was a RD, so is Livingstone.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I don't think anyone's going to argue that it's not a difficult situation overall, but I can see that, if you get the opportunity to get the right players, it doesn't hurt to get those players. Sure, the timing could have been better, but what if we don't get the opportunity to get a Hronek in the next 2 years or longer? What then?

Well, we need more than just Hronek to fix the d, so he's a start, but if we can't get another then Hronek was wasted, which is the point. This team needs a long-term fix, and this ain't it. It's the opposite. 

38 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

These are the RHD available in free agency on July 1.  Tell me who is better than Hronek on this list?  How were we supposed to fix the defence when only these guys were available for free?  The only way to acquire a top 4 RHD was via a trade.  Which is what we did.  Unless you wanted to use the pick on Reinbacher and wait 5 years to see if he develops...

Logo of the Anaheim DucksANA 30 RD Right 50 8 16 24 0.48 -28 78 0.10 20:51 - - - - - M-NTC UFA $7,000,000 $7,000,000
Logo of the Colorado AvalancheCOL 35 RD Right 51 0 7 7 0.14 5 80 0.00 17:31 - - - - - M-NTC, NMC UFA $6,000,000 $6,000,000
Logo of the Minnesota WildMIN 28 RD Right 59 4 9 13 0.22 -8 72 0.06 21:30 - - - - - M-NTC UFA $6,000,000 $5,200,000
Logo of the New Jersey DevilsNJD 28 RD Right 58 4 14 18 0.31 3 74 0.05 20:18 - - - - -   UFA $4,166,666 $5,100,000
Logo of the Anaheim DucksANA 34 RD Right 54 2 15 17 0.31 -14 113 0.02 18:18 - - - - - M-NTC UFA $3,900,000 $4,950,000
Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsOTT 32 RD Right 60 3 8 11 0.18 -9 101 0.03 18:53 - - - - -   UFA $3,000,000 $3,250,000
Logo of the Florida PanthersFLA 33 RD Right 52 2 8 10 0.19 7 82 0.02 17:41 - - - - -   UFA $2,500,000 $2,500,000
Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsTOR 31 RD Right 59 2 11 13 0.22 14 42 0.05 20:56 - - - - - M-NTC UFA $2,000,000 $2,000,000
Logo of the New York IslandersNYI 30 RD Right 64 5 12 17 0.27 3 91 0.05 20:51 - - - - -   UFA $1,450,000 $2,000,000
Logo of the Arizona CoyotesARI 29 RD Right 60 0 7 7 0.12 -1 60 0.00 16:55 - - - - -   UFA $1,250,000 $1,250,000
Logo of the Boston BruinsBOS 36 RD Right 8 0 0 0 0.00 -3 3 0.00 15:22 - - - - -   UFA $1,000,000 $1,000,000
Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersPHI 36 RD Right 39 0 1 1 0.03 -1 30 0.00 15:34 - - - - -   UFA $1,000,000 $1,000,000
Logo of the Boston BruinsBOS 28 LD/RD Right 59 4 11 15 0.25 20 75 0.05 18:12 - - - - -   UFA $1,000,000 $1,000,000
Logo of the Washington CapitalsWSH 31 RD Right 62 6 11 17 0.27 9 68 0.09 18:37 - - - - -   UFA $950,000 $1,000,000
15. Mark Pysyk
Logo of the Detroit Red WingsDET 31 RD Right 0 0 0 0 0.00 0 0 0.00   - - - - -   UFA $850,000 $850,000
Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsTOR 33 RD Right 55 3 18 21 0.38 9 68 0.04 17:11 - - - - -   UFA $850,000 $900,000

Its just optics, fans can like or dislike the plan the team has in place, they can have confidence in the people in management or not but end of the day the Canucks just added the exact type of player at position the team needed and fans were screaming for. It cost a first round pick +. It was worth it. You don't have to like it or can talk down the NHL people actually following through here now but it is what they intend to continue doing.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Boudrias said:

Yes, FJ is RH, but has played the left side a bit up until this year.  I think he will surprise people, he has had a really good season..  He will also give us a chance at leading the league in Filips

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

A Makar would be drafted with the 1st pick (3-6). not the NYI pick (14-18)

Assuming the Isles make the playoffs this year... what happens if the Isles drop out and tank next year... patience is required.

Just now, Boudrias said:

Yeah, I think this is why the price to be honest. A RHD is pretty significant and I wouldn't be surprised if Livingstone gets a ton of calls and has a lot of competition to get him.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, I think this is why the price to be honest. A RHD is pretty significant and I wouldn't be surprised if Livingstone gets a ton of calls and has a lot of competition to get him.

Probably a team who isn't capped out can offer a good price

19 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

He cares a lot about this org building a true contender rather than continuing the cycle of mediocrity. 

like all of us he is entitled to his opinion, he happens to have a media platform and spot on radio to voice his opinion, thats the difference. Passionate ? sure but he like so many others fail to listen to the people on the team making these decisions, then act surprised or bewildered when moves come down. That is laughable.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Its just optics, fans can like or dislike the plan the team has in place, they can have confidence in the people in management or not but end of the day the Canucks just added the exact type of player at position the team needed and fans were screaming for. It cost a first round pick +. It was worth it. You don't have to like it or can talk down the NHL people actually following through here now but it is what they intend to continue doing.

This team is looking to compete in 2 years.  Like it or not, that is the plan.  I'm ok with that, we have added some really nice pieces over the past year, and I have to say that I really think Tocchet is going to be a very good coach for this group.  Still a ton of work to be done, need 4 more Dmen, but getting Hronek is a really good start.

One of the reasons I am OK with looking 2 years out is the job the team is doing in Abbottsford, really impressive work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Well, we need more than just Hronek to fix the d, so he's a start, but if we can't get another then Hronek was wasted, which is the point. This team needs a long-term fix, and this ain't it. It's the opposite. 

If you focus on just our assets now, sure: mostly because they are not as liquid and in the form of players often with heavy contracts at this point. However, keep in mind things change. Look how many trades we made this trade deadline. Look at how different this team is from even a month or 2 ago. What will our situation look like at the draft? We don't really know.

One thing I do know is that, if you don't take swings at getting these players, you'll never get these players. Whether it's the right trade now or not, time will tell. You might not think this is a long term fix, but there's a chance that it is still a long term fix since we don't have to get this kind of player later on. It all depends on the situation. Could things go south for us? Sure, but what's the point in expecting it? ;)

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, jyu said:

Did he say why he thinks we are worse?

Bo had to be traded because he wouldn’t re-sign so he can’t be ignoring that aspect of the trade. 

No, he couldn't even make a logical explanation as to why, just threw it out there that we are worse with those 3 in the lineup than with Horvat to try and justify his argument that this trade makes no sense even in the immediate term...

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Probably a team who isn't capped out can offer a good price

Which is not a lot of teams. This also means there may have been more competition to get Hronek at the draft given there would be more teams that could take on his contract.

Edited by The Lock

Apparently Canucks went after  Horonek. Seraveli says he talked to other GMs and they didn't even know Horonek was available. 

It seems Canucks wanted him targeted him and went to DET asking for him. Horonek wasn't on the trade market as in DET calling teams and telling them he's available. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Apparently Canucks went after  Horonek. Seraveli says he talked to other GMs and they didn't even know Horonek was available. 

It seems Canucks wanted him targeted him and went to DET asking for him. Horonek wasn't on the trade market as in DET calling teams and telling them he's available. 

Not that I really trust FS by any means but this makes sense intutively.  No trade rumors whatsoever and he seems like the type of player we would target and get.