The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

Retool instead of rebuild.  Mandate is to get back to the playoffs sooner than later.  Who cares about the cap crunch and Canucks having way too many wingers.  Wingers can play centre too!!! 

:P

• There it is 1

17 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

So why are we trading picks when we don’t even have our core set up? All of these teams were at a point where the can sacrifice draft capital because the team was built to go deep into the playoffs. Keep your picks for when you actually have a team built then go for it. 

Petey and Hughes say hi, we’re not getting younger…

• Tanks a lot 1

1 minute ago, awalk said:

Not enough. Need more star players.

well they'll getting a helluva player off this draft, Lekkerimaki, despite eceryines hand wringing, is still an excellent, highly skilled prospect.

Then they use picks to find good players on the trade block.  That's how every team does it.

Again, I'm not convinced this management group can do it, but that's how it's done.  I'm ok with amassing draft picks if most of them are used as currency, bit as lottery tickets

• Like 1

Just now, MaxVerstappen33 said:

That's a legit top pairing isn't it ? Or are the wise guys gonna say the usual, well on a good team, blah blah would be a 2nd pair guy 

I'm not completely sold on Hronek yet, and I don't know if another small dman was the best use of that pick, but he had a good year last year and built on it this year, which is a good sign.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

So we were going to draft these “impact players” , and wait how long for them to develop into prime NHL “impact players” ?

We would lose the core we have waiting for these players ,  who ever they are??

who are they ??   .. and what have they done to date? 

Said this before,   If you like watching young guys skate circles,  heavily invest your time in Pond Puppy,  Bantam, or major Midget hockey ..   you’ll enjoy it so much more.

Except for the bubble year Canucks have been in the bottom 10 for a decade and need a proper rebuild.

This is a move you make when you're close but these guys are delusional if the think this team is close.

Canucks could rebuild and become a powerhouse but rather choose to strive to try and become a middle of the pack team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GB5 said:

This deal confuses me as far as the direction of this team.

Solud RHD but giving up high picks is confusing.

So is it win now, build for the future, acquire picks? Not really sure.

I mean, management has stated multiple times that they are “re-tooling”, this move is exactly that. I bet their plan all along was to move the newly acquired 1st rounder for a good player that fits the age group of our core and still pick very high in the draft with our own pick. That being said it’s a bit of an over pay I would have preferred we hang onto the 2nd

1 minute ago, stawns said:

well they'll getting a helluva player off this draft, Lekkerimaki, despite eceryines hand wringing, is still an excellent, highly skilled prospect.

Then they use picks to find good players on the trade block.  That's how every team does it.

Again, I'm not convinced this management group can do it, but that's how it's done.  I'm ok with amassing draft picks if most of them are used as currency, bit as lottery tickets

I am assuming Lekkerimaki works out well. No hand wringing from me there. 

I'm not convinced they can do it either. Looked to me like they were on their way, and then they lost patience again.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I've watched several of their games.  Hronek is a legit top 4 Dman.  He plays both ends of the ice.  He's a +8 on a team where most of the players are a minus.  Seider is a -8, Larkin a -4, Chiarot a -23.  He has the 2nd best +/- on the entire team while averaging over 21 minutes a night which is the 2nd most average minutes on the entire team.  He is on pace for over 50 points and is 2nd on the entire team in points.  He averages almost 2 hits per game and 1 block per game.  

He has literally been one of the best, if not, the best Detroit Red Wings player this year.  

What about you?  What makes you think this player sucks?

He’s having a career year, but he’s never been known to have a great defensive game. It’s amazing what a goalie like Husso can do to your game.

He also doesn’t play against the opposition top players. 

Some of you guys act like this move "totally" doesn't make sense.  But if you look at the core's age group it falls in line with Petey, Hughes and Demko's.  If you were these players and you don't see ANY moves to try and improve the team in the near future.. would you want to stay here?   Players want to win and be given a team that has a chance to compete.  Would you want to waste your mid 20s on a bottom feeding team and wait for the team to draft some maybes into the line up?  You'd be close to 30 by then.  This move gives the core players some hope and confidence in the near future to compete and that would make them consider to stay.  If you don't make any moves for the near future then why would they want to stay?  This core isn't getting younger and after their contracts are up they can choose to go elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, GB5 said:

Except for the bubble year Canucks have been in the bottom 10 for a decade and need a proper rebuild.

This is a move you make when you're close but these guys are delusional if the think this team is close.

Canucks could rebuild and become a powerhouse but rather choose to strive to try and become a middle of the pack team.

Right, this is not a move a losing team should be making. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GB5 said:

that's how long rebuilds take.........I'm not sure how people do't get that.  Their "rebuild" started when they drafted Petey.

Edited by stawns
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gator said:

3 hours later and this trade still SUCKS

Trades Horvat, gets fans excited we're finally REBUILDING.

Wakes up today and decides to pull off a JB retool special

We were never rebuilding, that's never been stated outside the media. We are retuning the team, we have solid talent here, but we really needed to adjust the mix of talent.

Not everything is going to get done at this deadline, but I'm pretty happy with what has been done so far.

Myers trade will wait till after we've paid his 5 million bonus this summer, then he's an easily movable contract.

OEL, we'll need to make a decision this summer.

Boeser is likely here till next deadline.

Miller, there's a strong chance that we move him, but its far from a slam dunk.

Demko isn't going anywhere

Just now, shiznak said:

He’s having a career year, but he’s never been known to have a great defensive game. It’s amazing what a goalie like Husso can do to your game.

He also doesn’t play against the opposition top players. 

He seems much more like an offense first d man not a defensive guy.

Just now, stawns said:

that's how long rebuilds take.........I'm not sure how people do't get that.  They're "rebuild" started when they drafted Petey.

They never rebuilt they just tried to win and sucked enough to get high draft picks.

• Like 1