The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

It is really annoying how JR keeps repeating that he understands the impatience of Canucks fans and wanting to win a Cup.

He doesn’t get it at all.  You can just see the responses to this trade as showing where the market is.

Most people are upset about acquiring an excellent young RHD because it cost us high picks.  An impatient fan base loves this deal.

Most of us know Hronek doesn’t turn us into a contender, and likely not even a playoff team.  Good player, bad timing.  Keep the picks and build a pipeline so you have a chance to actually compete in a few years and not just fight for a wildcard spot at best.

If that's what you want it means losing Pettersson, Demko and Hughes. 2023 Draft picks won't be difference makers for 3-5 years. Even Bedard won't move the needle that much. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Come on guys... Romanov got the 13th overall. Hronek is soon much better than him. We needed a young RHD badly to play with Hughes. They are expensive to get. This pick could turn out to be a jordan Schroeder ffs. 

The team needed a right handed defenseman to play with Hughes who's a stay at home defensive defenseman. That ain’t Hronek. 

This feckless management group clearly has an identity crisis. They think they’re not far off from contending where in actual reality, they’re years away. Trading away 1sts is something the likes of Tampa or Toronto do. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

Odd move by this management group and owner.to trade not one but two draft picks for Hronek.  His contract is up next year and would obviously ask for a raise on a team already with cap issues.  To date, they have done little to address the cap issue problem (Schenn + Stillman is about 3M). - and you give up a potential top-15 pick + high second rounder only to have cap issues with a pending Petey extension.

Multiple teams that were mentioned as possible trade partners have now moved on with other deals.  There is a "chance" that this is it for the trading deadline and the Canucks cap issues will carry into next season.  Their current cap room is only temporary as these players will be back in due time.

Detroit is 5 points from the playoff line and they get two high draft picks - Canucks are 19 points from the line so go figure.  Calculus is easier to understand then this management group sometimes :)

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Come on guys... Romanov got the 13th overall. Hronek is soon much better than him. We needed a young RHD badly to play with Hughes. They are expensive to get. This pick could turn out to be a jordan Schroeder ffs. 

Yup. Picks are a crapshoot. I’m so glad we had Baertschi instead of Rasmus Andersson. That pick could have turned into anything, even Rasmus Andersson.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

JR is 74 years old.  He was never brought in to do a rebuild.  It was always going to be a retool on the fly.  Some people got hope of a rebuild when we traded BO for Raty and that 1st round pick, and then the Miller rumours.  But I knew all along JR was going to trade the NYI pick for a RHD.  I said it many times and I might even look for those posts.

Petey and Hughes are gonna be 25 and 24 this year.  Demko is gonna be 28.  Hronek is gonna be 26.  Miller is gonna be 30.  They are all in the timeline to win now, or 2-3 years from now.  Teams that are rebuilding don't already have their superstar talent.  That is why they are rebuilding.  If Petey and Hughes weren't around then I would say let's tear this whole thing down.  But when you have possibly the greatest Canuck ever just entering his prime and possibly the greatest Canuck defenceman of all time also in that timeline, both playing together at the same time, and you also have a goalie who has shown to be Vezina calibre, you just need to go for it.  You can't wait it out and hope and pray that your 25 draft picks pan out.  I mean, what happens if they don't?  Then you effectively wasted the prime years of two of the greatest players in Canucks history.  We can't afford to take that risk.  We need to go for it now...

What I said, but you said it first. And better. Lol

Impatient ownership and management strike again.

If this guy gets OEL at the top of his game then this is worth every pick.

Ya... fat chance.

I agree why now?  

Why deal with Stevie Y and a player he is willing to move on from?

A player whom some state has not been the same after being Crushed in open ice vs Reeves.

Thought of Ferland right away, hope I'm wrong but everyone knows the can get physical with our group .

I think it's a step taken due to past missteps... guess any are really though...

Watch them trade the other first.  They have no patience.

How aggressive a player is this guy?  

I have not seen any hits. 

Bo

2nd

4th

Hronek

Raty

Beau..

Tastes worse than it looks...

6 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

This is terrible.  Yesterday I was cheering the fact that the day had finally arrived where we start a proper rebuild.  Well, it was enjoyable while it lasted.  

Fair or unfair, we just traded away a first and a high second round pick.  We traded away potentially 2 players that would have played at lower contracts for years to come.......possibly 2 higher-end players.  If we were a playoff team already, I wouldn't have minded this.  But we're not. 

Let's not forget that if Hronek plays well (and with Demko playing well), we also drop in the draft order.

A trade like this in 3 years would have made good sense to me.  Not this year though.  UGH!

Would you trade Hronek for Juolevi and Lind?

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, Pure961089 said:

The fault lies with neither of them.  No matter who we have as GM they will all do what they’re told by ownership.  

And that’s the underlying issue right there. 

The team has been told to do something and the management is going out and trying to make it happen. 

We can bitch about it, but at the end of the day that’s the direction. The Hronek deal was a decent step in the direction they’re looking to go towards. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

People are actually hilarious if we are rebuilding you keep players like Miller and Boeser and you trade players like Demko, Pettersson, and Hughes because by the time this team would be ready to compete Hughes Pettersson and Demko will be ufas and will not want to sign with us. 

No, you trade them all if you are rebuilding.  

You don’t sign Miller and Boeser in the first place because they aren’t going to be producing by the time the team is ready to compete.  A 34-37year old Miller is unlikely to be worth $8 million a year.

Boeser is a UFA before most of those guys, so that part doesn’t even make sense.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The team needed a right handed defenseman to play with Hughes who's a stay at home defensive defenseman. That ain’t Hronek. 

I don't think that dynamic is the only way for it to work.  Offensive players can still play well together.......it's more about chemistry than anything.

They also dont have to play 5v5 together either.

• Cheers 2
  • Tanks a lot 1

1 minute ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Its really not about the player in all honesty.

Its more about the fact that the trade looks like another david booth, keith ballard, “what was that guys name” quick fix crap we see every year. 

Do it right goddammit. Draft and develop, and in three years we have a team. Dont piss-ass around every year and trade for contracts or project players. 

Fookin do it right the first time. 

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

We aren't done yet.  That player is coming.  Have patience my friend, this is not the end of the wheeling and dealing.  It has just begun really.  The entire defence will be ripped apart and rebuilt.  Hughes and Hronek are the central pieces only...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

If that's what you want it means losing Pettersson, Demko and Hughes. 2023 Draft picks won't be difference makers for 3-5 years. Even Bedard won't move the needle that much. 

That ship sailed last deadline.  There is no likely path to the team contending while those three players are under club control for their current contracts.

No cap space, no prospects, raises due to our efficient contracts, bottom of the standings.

Bleak outlook.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I don't think that dynamic is the only way for it to work.  Offensive players can still play well together.......it's more about chemistry than anything.

They also dont have to play 5v5 together either.

I see Hronek as a second paring RH. If Hughes and Hronek played 5 on 5 together, who the f**k would actually defend?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Yup. Picks are a crapshoot. I’m so glad we had Baertschi instead of Rasmus Andersson. That pick could have turned into anything, even Rasmus Andersson.

One Rasmus Anderson for every 19 players worse than Baertschi.  

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I see Hronek as a second paring RH. If Hughes and Hronek played 5 on 5 together, who the f**k would actually defend?

Quinn is a great defender because the puck is usually on his stick.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We aren't done yet.  That player is coming.  Have patience my friend, this is not the end of the wheeling and dealing.  It has just begun really.  The entire defence will be ripped apart and rebuilt.  Hughes and Hronek are the central pieces only...

Based on what exactly? 

• Upvote 1