The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Curtis Lazar to Devils for 2024 4th-round pick

Looks like this is a Tocchet move.  He obviously didn't like the player.  I think he wants a bigger, more aggressive player on the 4th line who can be a good penalty killer.  I think Tocchet reallly like Joshua and Aman, so PA needs to find them a right winger.  Most likely they will go the free agent route, unless they can get someone in a package for Garland/Boeser.  Or maybe Hoglander is traded for some sandpaper guys.  With the acquisition of Kravtsov, I don't see a spot for Hoglander...

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Looks like this is a Tocchet move.  He obviously didn't like the player.  I think he wants a bigger, more aggressive player on the 4th line who can be a good penalty killer.  I think Tocchet reallly like Joshua and Aman, so PA needs to find them a right winger.  Most likely they will go the free agent route, unless they can get someone in a package for Garland/Boeser.  Or maybe Hoglander is traded for some sandpaper guys.  With the acquisition of Kravtsov, I don't see a spot for Hoglander...

After Hogs Calder run this year they will make room for him. Hogs is a fire hydrant from the waist down. He has break away speed. Ideal 3rd liner.

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The more turnover the better.

I want the remaining players to feel like it’s a new team with a new chance as much as possible next season.

I am nervous that Demko could sink the tank. He could easily win half the remaining games and push Van into the teens. Allvin has to reign Tocchet in.

• Tanks a lot 1

Man, I never really understood the Lazar hate here.  He was here on a cheap contract and did pretty much what he was expected to do here: man the fourth line and hit people.  Management couldn't have expected offense from him, so I'm puzzled as to why fans expected that.  Granted, his defensive abilities were a bit less than advertised (compared to his solid performance in Boston), and he struggled on the penalty kill.  But I don't think anybody has played reliable defense this year, especially on the PK.

image.png.fa22cd4c99d4747e05fa3d63c9547150.png

Lazar will do just fine on a team that's much more defensively sound.  His 5v5 play was a lot better than what everyone here thinks.  For everyone harping on him, remember that we was worth a 4th round pick on the market.  He was a valuable player on our bottom six, and he will be reliable for New Jersey.  That's why they paid for him.

image.png.3b35f5b6eae2603e2aa00f9a21d7fdd2.png

This is Lazar's permanent replacement.  Clearly Tocchet has liked what he's seen so far and thinks he can man the 4C on a full-time basis.  His PK WAR is notably the best on this team (even above Mikheyev).  Everything else is a bit poor, especially his offense.  Does this matter on a bottom-feeding team like ours?  Not at all.  It's Aman's first year in the NHL and he is young.  But he really needs to improve his offense in the summer if we're to expect anything out of our 4th line next year.  

Anyone who thinks Lazar isn't a good player, have a go at me.  His value as a player is exactly what we got for him return.  He was worth a 4th round pick, just like Schenn was a worth a 3rd round pick.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw
(bring it, Lazar haters)
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

After Hogs Calder run this year they will make room for him. Hogs is a fire hydrant from the waist down. He has break away speed. Ideal 3rd liner.

where do you see Högs slotting into the line up? 

My guess for next year's line up: 

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko 

Kratsov - Miller - Podkolzin

Höglander - Dries - Boeser

Joshua - Åman - Studnika? 

Hughes - Bear

Dermott - Hronek 

OEL - Burroughs

Demko/Martin 

Is that it? Assuming that Miller and Brock are still with the team come September. 

I can't believe that Myers would be back in September. I think he's either traded, or bought out. 

Buying out OEL would be way too costly for way too long. 

I'm not sure if that's a playoff roster to be honest. 

Edited by N4ZZY

10 hours ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

In terms of the Hronek trade, Vancouver had been needing an effective right shot defenseman.  He said getting a 25 yr old, cost controlled right hand defenseman that fits a team need was never going to be cheap.  

He was asked "why now?"

He responded along the lines of "Demko, Hughes, Hronek, Miller, Kuzmenko, Pettersson are players you win with now"

He pretty much confirmed these 6 as the core moving forward.

interesting core, with Miller the oldest at 29, and Hughes the youngest at 22. Everyone else is between those two guys. Petey 24, Kuzmenko at 26, Hronek at 25, Demko at 27. Yeah, this group probably has about 2-3 years to compete, before Petey enters into his late twenties, and he'll be the elder statesman of the next core. 

Still not entirely sure why we did this. I mean, sure Lazar's are a dime a dozen. But he's easily better than half of the other dudes in our bottom 6. I mean, nice to get a 4th though. We can find another bottom 6 guy. I just like Lazar. Oh well. It's weird, but whatever. This management is f-in' weird so it's probably best that I don't understand them.

8 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I like Lazar as a person, but I had alluded to the fact in the summer when we were rumored to go after him, he has no bottom line as a player.

We got a good glimpse of that this year. Glad we were able to move on from his contract and gain some level of value for him.

124 hits, 14 takeaways to 5 giveaways, 38% ozone starts, 52% in the faceoff dot. I dunno man. Seems like a pretty prototypical bottom 6 guy. The rest of the bottom 6 is AHLers and occasionally Boeser and Garland who don't belong in the bottom 6.  I honestly think he's quite good as a 4C. Must be, cause someone that is playoff bound traded a 4th rounder for him. He is a legit bottom 6 guy. He also has more blocks this season than Horvat. In 16 fewer games. I don't think we actually appreciated what we had in Lazar because he didn't turn our historically bad PK around singlehandedly I guess.

30 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

interesting core, with Miller the oldest at 29, and Hughes the youngest at 22. Everyone else is between those two guys. Petey 24, Kuzmenko at 26, Hronek at 25, Demko at 27. Yeah, this group probably has about 2-3 years to compete, before Petey enters into his late twenties, and he'll be the elder statesman of the next core. 

What are the odds of Crosby reuniting with his old management when he hits FA?

9 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

I was thinking Lazar and Lockwood could've formed a high octane combo, but alas... 

I was wondering if they'd cleared the cap space for another trade, or maybe it's to 

free up contract space for the off season. Either way, there goes another $800,000 off the cap.

All the best to him. 

We hoped Lazar would run on Premium, but he unfortunately just spewed diesel fumes. 

Still gonna miss the local guy. Wish he just performed better. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

124 hits, 14 takeaways to 5 giveaways, 38% ozone starts, 52% in the faceoff dot. I dunno man. Seems like a pretty prototypical bottom 6 guy. The rest of the bottom 6 is AHLers and occasionally Boeser and Garland who don't belong in the bottom 6.  I honestly think he's quite good as a 4C. Must be, cause someone that is playoff bound traded a 4th rounder for him. He is a legit bottom 6 guy. He also has more blocks this season than Horvat. In 16 fewer games. I don't think we actually appreciated what we had in Lazar because he didn't turn our historically bad PK around singlehandedly I guess.

Aman just played better performance wise. 

He stole/earned Lazar’s playing minutes. Made Lazar superfluous and unnecessary. 

29 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Aman just played better performance wise. 

He stole/earned Lazar’s playing minutes. Made Lazar superfluous and unnecessary. 

Spoiler
3 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Man, I never really understood the Lazar hate here.  He was here on a cheap contract and did pretty much what he was expected to do here: man the fourth line and hit people.  Management couldn't have expected offense from him, so I'm puzzled as to why fans expected that.  Granted, his defensive abilities were a bit less than advertised (compared to his solid performance in Boston), and he struggled on the penalty kill.  But I don't think anybody has played reliable defense this year, especially on the PK.

image.png.fa22cd4c99d4747e05fa3d63c9547150.png

Lazar will do just fine on a team that's much more defensively sound.  His 5v5 play was a lot better than what everyone here thinks.  For everyone harping on him, remember that we was worth a 4th round pick on the market.  He was a valuable player on our bottom six, and he will be reliable for New Jersey.  That's why they paid for him.

image.png.3b35f5b6eae2603e2aa00f9a21d7fdd2.png

This is Lazar's permanent replacement.  Clearly Tocchet has liked what he's seen so far and thinks he can man the 4C on a full-time basis.  His PK WAR is notably the best on this team (even above Mikheyev).  Everything else is a bit poor, especially his offense.  Does this matter on a bottom-feeding team like ours?  Not at all.  It's Aman's first year in the NHL and he is young.  But he really needs to improve his offense in the summer if we're to expect anything out of our 4th line next year.  

Anyone who thinks Lazar isn't a good player, have a go at me.  His value as a player is exactly what we got for him return.  He was worth a 4th round pick, just like Schenn was a worth a 3rd round pick.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

where do you see Högs slotting into the line up? 

My guess for next year's line up: 

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko 

Kratsov - Miller - Podkolzin

Höglander - Dries - Boeser

Joshua - Åman - Studnika? 

Hughes - Bear

Dermott - Hronek 

OEL - Burroughs

Demko/Martin 

Is that it? Assuming that Miller and Brock are still with the team come September. 

I can't believe that Myers would be back in September. I think he's either traded, or bought out. 

Buying out OEL would be way too costly for way too long. 

I'm not sure if that's a playoff roster to be honest. 

Kuzmenko Pettersson Boeser

Mikheyev Miller Beauvillier was missed from your line up.

Podkolzin Dries Kravtsov

Garland Aman Hoglander

Joshua Raty Studnicka 

Lots of competition for roster spots and this isn't including college, FA signings, or top 3 pick.

Hoglander will have to have a strong showing.  I'm rooting for him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bob.Loblaw said:
  Hide contents

It’s not about having a go at you Bob. It’s pay for performance. 

Aman is younger, puts up more points and plays more games. 

Lazar is 5 years older, slower, and can’t contribute offensively. 

I love Lazar, but he isn’t the thing you’re looking for, as a 4th line Centerman. 

Just the nature of things. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

Kuzmenko Pettersson Boeser

Mikheyev Miller Beauvillier was missed from your line up.

Podkolzin Dries Kravtsov

Garland Aman Hoglander

Joshua Raty Studnicka 

Lots of competition for roster spots and this isn't including college, FA signings, or top 3 pick.

Hoglander will have to have a strong showing.  I'm rooting for him.

I mean, if Beauvillier is there, then Brock's probably the odd man out. 

• Cheers 1