The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Trade Day Edition

Rate this topic

Warhippy

28 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

My guess is that they are targeting OEL as a buyout without losing anything except a long term cap hit until 2031 but we get the most saving at just $146,667 counted for 2023-24, $2.3 m for 2024-25 season and 4.7m for 2025-27 season.  There is no saving like this if we choose to buy out OEL after this buyout window in 2024.  The cost of buying OEL out will lessen in last 4 years of buyout cap hit of just 2.1 million dollars.  

This is the only move that I'm willing to take just to get in cap compliant without them taking hostage of losing our own draft picks for future trade to free up some cap space and my guess is that we'll have a very quiet off-season with no dead money after all from Holtby, Virtenan buyout and OEL's contract will become a dead money for 8 years.  I think we don't really need OEL as he has lost a step as proven from a few years of play.   The team is much better without OEL and it's very clear as a day.  I think that it is the right time to do it and we'll have time to figure out what to do in 2024 off-season to be a cap complaint.   The reason we need to do it is because if we win draft lottery land Berard then we need to unload OEL anyways to make room.  

Those two years at $4.7M are a killer. Hoping OEL has a renaissance year and we clear 2-3 wingers and Myers instead

2 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Those two years at $4.7M are a killer. Hoping OEL has a renaissance year and we clear 2-3 wingers and Myers instead

Yeah i think thats the smart move. Give OEL another year to try to get it together again. Get the cap savings from Boeser/Garland/Myers. 

If OEL sucks again, buy him out next year. 

• Cheers 1

This is what I’d like to see the Canucks do with the defense and it is realistic:

Hughes Livingstone(BC boy)

Gavrikov Hronek 

OEL Bear 

Livingstone May actually sign as a BC boy and has an excellent opportunity with this team to very strong selling points for Vancouver.

Gavrikov has the Russian connection and another Milstein client. 

cap space? Livingstone will be on ELC so no more than any replacement. To sign Gavrikov we would need to trade Garland or Boeser and Myers at 50% retained. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

The two I looked at had hime 16 and 18. Guess we're looking at different places

29. David Reinbacher, D, Kloten (SUI):Playing in all situations against men, and having plenty of success on both sides of the puck.

6 minutes ago, brian42 said:

This is what I’d like to see the Canucks do with the defense and it is realistic:

Gavrikov Hronek 

OEL Bear 

Livingstone May actually sign as a BC boy and has an excellent opportunity with this team to very strong selling points for Vancouver.

cap space? Livingstone will be on ELC so no more than any replacement. To sign Gavrikov we would need to trade Garland or Boeser and Myers at 50% retained. 

Gavrikov would be great to get but I just don’t see a possibility we move enough cap to get him. 

2 hours ago, combover said:

Why not include the 1st and 2nd we paid out?

I included the 2nd.  But if I added the 1st we paid I would have to add the 1st we got as well.  Since it was the same one I just left it out of both. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Why would Gavrikov even be available? Presumably the Kings didn't give up a 1st to let him walk. 

Cap space?

They’re gonna have Villardi due for a raise and Moore’s new contract kicking in. Plus a starting goaltender to sign.

I think they’re in a position with their depth now they can afford to pay for a rental.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

We need two top 4 Dmen still.

Unreasonable to think Livingstone could just slot into the top pair if he signed here. Also not fair to Hughes to pair him with a rookie.

We need to trade Garland and Myers and either buyout OEL or trade Boeser.

This management group has a TON of work to do and it’s getting even harder.

You're absolutely right - my pairing of Hughes with Livingstone certainly isn't to say that Livingstone will step into a top four. From the few minutes of scouting clips I've watched, he seems to be a smart, mobile defender. I'm a fan of playing smart players together and I think that Quinn could take pressure off him by being our best breakout player and (hopefully) preventing too many extended D zone shifts for the rookie. Perhaps Hronek is paired with Quinn instead and they become a very strong duo.

I also agree that the Canucks only have two top 4 defenders and need another two before becoming contenders. From my perspective, no chance that happens next year. I think a year of patience, cap clearing moves, and avoiding short term fixes is the best path forward, and like you, I don't think we have the cap flexibility or draft capital to finish the roster overhaul next season alone. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Trying to look at this 6 months from now. Canucks will be getting ready to hold training camp - run by Tocchet, Gonchar and Foote

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Beauvillier

Podkolzin - Miller -  Kravtsov

Mikheyev - ? - Garland

Joshua - Raty - Studnicka

Pearson*

Hughes - ?

? - Hronek

OEL - Bear

Dermott*

Trade: Boeser, Rathbone, Hoglander and Myers. Bear might have to do as Quinn's D-partner.

They're not that far off from competing IMO. This was just a lousy year from training camp, on. Tocchet will have them prepared next season. Maybe the Canucks draft a really good player as well. Canucks have a chance to get (RD) Jake Livingstone, and isn't (RD) Filip Johansson ready to play in Abby next year? 

I like what you say in general not just this post and sort of agree with this post too. I would like to think this team is not that far off...

But that is exactly what we say every year until the season starts and we lose to some crappy Buffalo or Detroit teams and return from a relatively easy Eastern road trip 1-4-2. And then disappointment follows.

At this point, all we are doing is mental masturbation. Until these players prove themselves, we are far off.

One thing I disagree with is that if Garland is here, the spot on the roster for him is on the scoring line beside Miller. He has shown very little chemistry with other centers so far. As we are retooling, I'd rather see cheaper Hoglander in the lineup and trade both Garland and Boeser.

22 minutes ago, chon derry said:

29. David Reinbacher, D, Kloten (SUI):Playing in all situations against men, and having plenty of success on both sides of the puck.

11. David Reinbacher, D, Kloten (Switzerland): Possesses all the tools to project as a top three defenceman at the next level.

Ht/Wt:6' 2"/185 lbs
Position:RHD
Team: Kloten (SWI

6'2"
187 lbs
Oct 25, 2004
Austria

So you like yours..I like mine :-)

Just now, Moe Knows said:

11. David Reinbacher, D, Kloten (Switzerland): Possesses all the tools to project as a top three defenceman at the next level.

6'2"
187 lbs
Oct 25, 2004
Austria

I used sportsnet. Draft rankings are almost as subjective as CDC opinions. Lol

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Gavrikov Hronek 

OEL Bear 

If we can sign Livingstone, then I'd just part with Bear and re-sign Schenn. Livingstone and Schenn will cost 2 mil or less together. Bear alone makes 2 mil now and I don't think he is looking for a paycut.

Hughes-Schenn

Gavrikov-Hronek

OEL-Livingstone

Gavrikov would be a good get, I don't know if we will be able to get him though.

Edited by jyu

1 minute ago, Moe Knows said:

6'2"
187 lbs
Oct 25, 2004
Austria

Either way it’s moot since it’s not our pick anymore. 

25 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Gavrikov Hronek 

OEL Bear 

Livingstone is a toss up at best after my conversation with the dental assistant I was talking to yesterday. She is from Creston, close to the same age as he is and they are good friends. She thinks he will sign with one of the US teams but did not say which or if she even knew. Small town Creston as I know her grandfather. Pretty sure @Boudriaswould know the family too. Grandfather about same age as us, 1st name Marvin.

• Cheers 1