The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Get Drance some crow

Rate this topic

Timråfan

I don't know what Drance is like as a person. As a media personality, I don't like him. However, I agree with a lot of what he says about this team. What exactly is he saying that is wrong? I get not enjoying negative coverage of your favorite team, but there is a difference between not enjoying something and identifying why something is inaccurate. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, spook007 said:

32 teams in the league... how many teams has been to the finals the last 12 years?

Literally no team has had fewer wins per cap dollar spent than the Canucks.  Don’t pretend they are doing ok

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, MattWN. said:

I don't know, you could probably google it though.

Check how many teams have averaged a worse record than us during that tenure too. That'd be fun to see.

I thought that was irrelevant? cup or nothing? 

We don't have a divine right to get to cup finals... sometimes teams get lucky and they get a roster that just manages to gel, a few players getting far better than anticipated, etc etc etc...

I also like a few top picks, and cup winner in general do have that, but in redrafts Petey would have been a top 3 pick, if not a top 2 pick, and QH probably quite similar... 

Now we may start all over again and hope we draft better players than Petey and QH, or we can try to compliment them 2-3 years, and see what happens. If it still sucks, by all means tear it down, but for every team that drafts well and contends, there are several that doesn't... 

This season is a tank season, and thankfully we may get a real good players to eventually support the team, but he won't make an impact for a few years yet... If we tear it all down, it'll still at least take 3 years before we have a team, and likely more, before we could contend... 

I'm sick of losing... don't know about you, but I am...

45 minutes ago, Provost said:

So, I am not clear.  He has been right the last several years and the bulk of you have been wrong.

We have been terrible for a long time, are terrible now, and we appear to be on a path to continue to be terrible for the foreseeable future.  No team in the league has garnered fewer wins per cap dollar spent over the last decade.  The only teams worse were intentionally trying to tank and rebuild, or were budget teams paying tens of millions less in salary for their rosters.

How exactly is he or should he be eating crow?  What has the organization done to merit anything except negativity.

Shouldn’t that be you eating crow who were saying this was a good team and a lock for the playoffs this year (again) and possibly near the top of the division?

All the different panels on trade day had the exact same take on the Canucks.  Acquired a good player, but bad timing as it is the kind of move a good team does as a final piece…. Not a bottom dwelling team with one of worst prospect pools in the league.

This team is a lock for the playoff bext season.

Divisionfinal in two seasons.

Tou should remember it correctly if you want to be a smart ass.B)

The crow bit is that he think we won’t reach playoff next season and that Hronek was wrong move because he thinks the Canucks are bottom dwellers.

He must have forgotten Benning left the Building and took only some of the trash with him. 
So maybe you and him should share a crow or two.

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

This team is a lock for the playoff bext season.

Divisionfinal in two seasons.

Tou should remember it correctly if you want to be a smart ass.B)

The crow bit is that he think we won’t reach playoff next season and that Hronek was wrong move because he thinks the Canucks are bottom dwellers.

He must have forgotten Benning left the Building and took only some of the trash with him. 
So maybe you and him should share a crow or two.

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

Edited by MattWN.

38 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Drance has an account on this forum. While you posting pictures doesn't directly contribute to The Athletic's ad revenue, it creates engagement. Not every person who reads this board will subscribe or even visit their site, but he will 100% notice people talking about his articles. The same happens on Twitter and other social media platforms. As long as people talk about what he writes and says, he will be encouraged to keep doing it since inevitably some of those people will subscribe to The Athletic or visit their site. He also isn't the only one who does this, even members of the national media like Friedman will purposely tailor content towards this fanbase because he knows we'll eat it up every time.

Obviously not saying you're the problem. It's just a product of the business itself. You have the right to believe it's excessively negative, and I honestly agree it's too much sometimes, but they're simply catering to the market. We thrive on drama.

I know the clickbait bit but I also know that media is desperate. So if they continue to only create drama they push people away. 
Therefor loose money.

The mindbit, we can handle just so much negativity. Too much and we regress to watch tiktok films with cats.

I think a major problem with our season is Demko and his injury. Goalies are your best penalty killers and forgive many a player mistakes  made during games. Drance write about that? Or just the easy stuff. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I know the clickbait bit but I also know that media is desperate. So if they continue to only create drama they push people away. 
Therefor loose money.

The mindbit, we can handle just so much negativity. Too much and we regress to watch tiktok films with cats.

To be fair, there isn't enough cat content on these forums. It's a struggle here.

• -SN- locked and unlocked this topic

People need to recognize Drance for the role he plays, how he plays it and why. 

Everything about him screams “ I need attention !” Much of the attention needed  is to boost his “value” in the media. The rest is to support his ego.

On air, he will often randomly turn a subject around to make it about himself and wallow in the resulting attention it brings him, good or bad. He’ll accept anything he can get and needs it to justify his place. 

Everything about him is just a schtikk purposely devised and used to create an inflated value. He would not survive long without standing out from the respected media personalities by using some idiotic and annoying on air personality.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

I really find it baffling why this toxic media is so negative about a team that has been so incredibly successful over the past decade or so.

I don't know what the term is for "even better than a dynasty" but that's us, and we don't deserve this sort of disrespect.

There's this old saying...don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Sometimes they drown in negativity when there's something positive to grab onto. A bunch of whiners. I don't mind Sat, Dan, Randip and even Imac. The rest can take a flying leap.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

So you say. 

Bottom line though if if there wasn't an audience or money in it he'd be doing something else. If folks don't like him the best thing they can do is ignore him and move along. 

Most people won't even pay the .99c for that rag lol. Are you him?

5 hours ago, JoshuaGuy said:

His chosen profession is a dying industry. I'd much rather read what people here have to say than that sad sack of ... has to say. 

It's never going to die. The tabloid style of writing caters to people with low critical thinking skills and high emotional vulnerability.

I don't always agree with Drance, but here he has somewhat of an interesting opinion.

We gave up our most expensive picks (mid round 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder) and took in contender picks (low 3rd round picks). Yes, we have Hronek, but he was drafted in the 2nd round pick by Detroit. They have sold him high.

Notice how no other bottom feeding team has traded away first round picks?

This is a very shortsighted move, even if Hronek is a great player.

I hope for the Canucks that Hronek pays off. Because if he doesn't, we are going to be hurting for a while.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

I don't always agree with Drance, but here he has somewhat of an interesting opinion.

We gave up our most expensive picks (mid round 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder) and took in contender picks (low 3rd round picks). Yes, we have Hronek, but he was drafted in the 2nd round pick by Detroit. They have sold him high.

Notice how no other bottom feeding team has traded away first round picks?

This is a very shortsighted move, even if Hronek is a great player.

I hope for the Canucks that Hronek pays off. Because if he doesn't, we are going to be hurting for a while.

And our draft pick, if he doesn't pay off, we would be hurting for a while lol.  We still have the pick that matters, ours while having a top 4 RHD who's young and will contribute now without the gamble of a draft pick or the years needed for development.

Edited by Metal Face Doom