The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] options to clear cap space

Allvin was very confident in internal and external options to clear cap.

What are all the options? 

Internal

• Regular buyouts 
  • Compliance (amnesty) buyouts - NHL has offered teams (2) penalty free buyouts after the last lockout kept the cap flat. Is it possible the GM’s know this is coming?
  • demote eligible players to the A

external

• trade large contracts for picks or prospects

here are the teams with the most cap space, that we could trade with:

image.thumb.png.9a7ca38ad1c3ffa856992fb3056ca279.png

I could see us trading Myers and one or two of Boeser, Garland, Pearson (if healthy)  for a suboptimal return. Just like how we got Erhoff for cheap from SJS.

Also wonder if PA has a handshake agreement (or two) from teams that want some of these guys in the offseason? 

What other options do we have? What do you think we’ll do?

• Vintage 1

Just now, Kenny Powers said:

What’s your source?

Compliance buy outs contribute to raising escrow.  The players and the owners committed to lowering escrow after the pandemic caused the players to have a huge debt to be paid off (hence the almost flat cap).  They aren’t going to turn around and implement an unnecessary compliance buyout that will only serve to keep the cap flat even longer 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Compliance buy outs contribute to raising escrow.  The players and the owners committed to lowering escrow after the pandemic caused the players to have a huge debt to be paid off (hence the almost flat cap).  They aren’t going to turn around and implement an unnecessary compliance buyout that will only serve to keep the cap flat even longer 

So what do you think they’ll do? Give players away for cheap?

Just now, Kenny Powers said:

So what do you think they’ll do? Give players away for cheap?

Teams have to find ways to work within the cap. Just like they always havw since the inception of the cap. If a team is up against the cap that’s their problem to solve . 

• Upvote 1

Just now, qwijibo said:

Teams have to find ways to work within the cap. Just like they always havw since the inception of the cap. If a team is up against the cap that’s their problem to solve . 

Yeah, I’m sure they will, as they always do. Not too worried about it, but curios how they’ll approach it. I can’t remember a time we had this many extra players…

I think we'll have to trade Beauvillier (and they're probably trying to find him a new home by this offseason if he finishes the year well).
Boeser/ Garland will likely be necessary moves too, seeing how we've already got multiple wings (Kuzmenko/ Mikheyev/ Kravtsov/ Hoglander/ Podkolzin, perhaps even Lekkerimaki or Klimovich) either with draft pedigree, or who we bought low on.  Myers will probably be next TDL.  I could see us try to dump either Bear or Dermott for a pick as well, seeing as they're both pending RFAs and we likely can't retain both.  That being said, I hope we could somehow package Beauvillier and Myers with retention for next year to some team like Anaheim (or if the Red Wings realize they need an all-round guy like Myers at a discount after trading Hronek away).

• Cheers 1

Do everything they can to get out of that OEL contract. Not in favour of a buyout, so it will be pretty much impossible to do.

A team will likely take Myers at TDL. He’s got size and a RHD. Also can be retained.

Move 2/3 of Garland, Boeser and Beau. I would keep Garland or Beau. If we can somehow move OEL then maybe I would keep Garland and Beau for now.

That leaves you with a top 6 of:

Mikh - Pettersson - Kuz

Garland/Beau - Miller - Podz/Hogz

If we can clear our cap, then I would want our AGM Dan Milstein to bring Gavrikov to Van at a fair price. Would be a solid partner for Hronek.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Do everything they can to get out of that OEL contract. Not in favour of a buyout, so it will be pretty much impossible to do.

A team will likely take Myers at TDL. He’s got size and a RHD. Also can be retained.

Move 2/3 of Garland, Boeser and Beau. I would keep Garland or Beau. If we can somehow move OEL then maybe I would keep Garland and Beau for now.

That leaves you with a top 6 of:

Mikh - Pettersson - Kuz

Garland/Beau - Miller - Podz/Hogz

If we can clear our cap, then I would want our AGM Dan Milstein to bring Gavrikov to Van at a fair price. Would be a solid partner for Hronek.

gut feel OEL likely LTIRetires before his contract ends 

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

I think we'll have to trade Beauvillier (and they're probably trying to find him a new home by this offseason if he finishes the year well).
Boeser/ Garland will likely be necessary moves too, seeing how we've already got multiple wings (Kuzmenko/ Mikheyev/ Kravtsov/ Hoglander/ Podkolzin, perhaps even Lekkerimaki or Klimovich) either with draft pedigree, or who we bought low on.  Myers will probably be next TDL.  I could see us try to dump either Bear or Dermott for a pick as well, seeing as they're both pending RFAs and we likely can't retain both.  That being said, I hope we could somehow package Beauvillier and Myers with retention for next year to some team like Anaheim (or if the Red Wings realize they need an all-round guy like Myers at a discount after trading Hronek away).

That's a pretty good idea actually, frees up 4.1M and likely brings back positive assets if he continues to produce the way he has with Pettersson. I know folks are gonna argue that noooo, he fits really well with Petterson but hey, Pettersson looks like the kind of player who'll work well with anyone. Plus, that's why he has Kuzmenko as a running mate. He's already got his guy. 

Trade Beau and bump up one of Boeser, Garland, or Kravtsov. Wouldn't be remotely surprised to see us going into next season with Boeser still in our top six. If retaining 1M on Beau could get us a 1st I'd pull trigger and run, just need Petey to keep pumping up his numbers. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Never know we should be able to trade Myers thus summer.BB not to sure but 1 to 1.5 mill retained should get it done. 

Miller we came close to trading and thus summer might still happen if we get a Center back,or trade for one and then Miller.

Any two of them and we have cap room.

8 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

That's a pretty good idea actually, frees up 4.1M and likely brings back positive assets if he continues to produce the way he has with Pettersson. I know folks are gonna argue that noooo, he fits really well with Petterson but hey, Pettersson looks like the kind of player who'll work well with anyone. Plus, that's why he has Kuzmenko as a running mate. He's already got his guy. 

Trade Beau and bump up one of Boeser, Garland, or Kravtsov. Wouldn't be remotely surprised to see us going into next season with Boeser still in our top six. If retaining 1M on Beau could get us a 1st I'd pull trigger and run, just need Petey to keep pumping up his numbers. 

Trading Beauvilier 50% retained at the TDL is also a great option. Yes, this doesn't solve our cap challenges for the start of the year and will greatly depend on other transactions, but a 2.1M cap hit speedy second line winger who elevates in the playoffs is a valuable asset. Niederreiter (4M) got a second with no retention. Have to think Beau is worth at least that, perhaps more, if the market stays similar next year and he has an 80+ game track record of top 6 play with the Canucks.  

• Cheers 1

Myers and Garland traded in the offseason. Garland is replaced from within given our glut of winger's. Bargain bin shopping for inexpensive defensive depth; I won't be horribly upset if they don't find a top-4 D this offseason, that can wait. Resign Schenn if he's open to it. Assuming a replacement RHD costs no more than 1.5M, removing Garland (2.5-5M) and Myers (3-6M) plus adding the replacement D saves 4-5M minimum, depending on retention %.

Definitely expect to retain on Myers, and wouldn't mind retaining on Garland even though we then only have 1 retention slot for TDL. I would use that final slot (or both, if Garland goes without retention) on either Boeser or Beauvilier at the 2024 TDL. I'm very reluctant to hope for any sort of skating or just hustle mentality improvement from Brock after this long in the league, so I feel it's best if the Canucks move on from him and his inefficient cap, but I would hate to give him up just for the sake of creating room without a decent return (2nd or B prospect). 

Hoping for some miracle on the OEL front but I am expecting him to remain a Canuck next year, paired with a mobile guy (either Hronek or Bear) to attempt to mask his horrendous foot speed. Really hoping to avoid a buyout on him. 

The Canucks employ a lot of people that are a lot better at math than me, they'll find a way. If they were confident in trading for Hronek they likely have already done the projections etc. and are fine with it. There will be some moves made this summer, that cap will go up a bit but it's obvious they need to move a winger or two, and doing something with one of OEL or Myers (god I hope it's both) will go a long way too. They'll be fine. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Guile said:

Trading Beauvilier 50% retained at the TDL is also a great option. Yes, this doesn't solve our cap challenges for the start of the year and will greatly depend on other transactions, but a 2.1M cap hit speedy second line winger who elevates in the playoffs is a valuable asset. Niederreiter (4M) got a second with no retention. Have to think Beau is worth at least that, perhaps more, if the market stays similar next year and he has an 80+ game track record of top 6 play with the Canucks.  

Honestly, if Beauvilier finishes the year the same way he's been playing I don't think we'd have to retain anything.....IMO he's a steal right now at $4.15m.

• Cheers 2

Buyout for OEL won’t happen. 
‘His actual pay for this season and this season (and next) is $10.5M dollars. So that is 21M for his 2 seasons. Buyout this summer is $29M. 
That is $50M for 2 seasons, one was decent one was terrible. 
‘The Canucks reportedly profit about $30M a year. 
‘They won’t buy out OEL. 

Garland is possible if can’t find anyone. 
‘Everyone can see that we backed ourselves into a hole with overspending at the deadline again. It will cost us premium assets to get cap flexibility or time. 
‘The management group says it is the wrong time in the cycle of the club to be spending high pics and then spends them as quickly as possible. They say they want cap flexibility and then spend above the cap at the deadline for a team near the bottom of the league. What we have done is nonsensical and will continue to be.
‘If our pic slides out of top 10, which I expect, don’t be surprised if it is sacrificed to clear cap. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

They need clarity on Poolman, Pearson & Dermott.  

After that, I see Boeser & Myers being the focus in the off season to move.

I would agree that the focus will be on Meyers and Boeser. 

• Cheers 1