The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Ethan Bear Contract Talks

On 4/11/2023 at 5:31 PM, canucklehead44 said:

Bear is far more important to this team than fans give him credit for. While Bear’s numbers are solid albeit unspectacular, both Hughes and OEL really elevated their play this year with Bear as their partner. He gives us many different looks. He is still young as well - definitely one to keep.

Only if it makes sense to do so.  If he's asking for too much, then you move on.  For example, if he's looking for $2.5M to $3M on a long term deal, is it worth it when somebody like Burroughs brings 80 to 90% of what Bear does, but would likely cost $950k?

• There it is 1

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Only if it makes sense to do so.  If he's asking for too much, then you move on.  For example, if he's looking for $2.5M to $3M on a long term deal, is it worth it when somebody like Burroughs brings 80 to 90% of what Bear does, but would likely cost $950k?

Honestly, yes. I think it does. Think about Bear, and then think about what Poolman didn't bring for the same amount of money. I'd much rather have Bear at that price tag than Poolman.

Burroughs was good, but consider the fact that that 10 or 20% extra from Bear is what this team needs from defense. We need defense and penny pinching is just going to keep up with that problem. I'm not saying spend spend spend or anything. I'm just saying I want the best team possible out there and good defense is hard to come by these days.

Besides, who says we can't have both Bear and Burroughs next year?

Edited by The Lock

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Honestly, yes. I think it does. Think about Bear, and then think about what Poolman didn't bring for the same amount of money. I'd much rather have Bear at that price tag than Poolman.

Burroughs was good, but consider the fact that that 10 or 20% extra from Bear is what this team needs from defense. We need defense and penny pinching is just going to keep up with that problem. I'm not saying spend spend spend or anything. I'm just saying I want the best team possible out there and good defense is hard to come by these days.

Besides, who says we can't have both Bear and Burroughs next year?

Just an example.  What about Filip Johansson?  Burroughs?  Juulsen?  Woo?  If you save $2M on RHD and use that towards a 3C, would it not be worthwhile?

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Just an example.  What about Filip Johansson?  Burroughs?  Juulsen?  Woo?  If you save $2M on RHD and use that towards a 3C, would it not be worthwhile?

Again, no. We wouldn't have the better player of the bunch which would be Bear still. We need quality on defense, not quantity.

• RoughGame 1

18 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Again, no. We wouldn't have the better player of the bunch which would be Bear still. We need quality on defense, not quantity.

We'd have the better player at a position like 3C (given we save $2M to put towards 3C). 

Could literally be the difference between Ivan Barbashev as 3C vs David Kampf.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

We'd have the better player at a position like 3C (given we save $2M to put towards 3C). 

Could literally be the difference between Ivan Barbashev as 3C vs David Kampf.

I guess call me weird maybe, but I'd much rather have an improved defense than a Barbashev. Maybe thinking about Gavrikov instead could help, but I'm not 100% sold on needing Barbashev, but that's me.

I also don't really care about 3C when we need good 1st and 2nd pairings overall. I'm more of a guy who prefers we get the important pieces out of the way 1st and care less about the 3C position. I also picture Bear as more than just a 3C, which might be the 10 or 20% difference you mentioned earlier perhaps.

• Thanks 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

25 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I guess call me weird maybe, but I'd much rather have an improved defense than a Barbashev. Maybe thinking about Gavrikov instead could help, but I'm not 100% sold on needing Barbashev, but that's me.

I also don't really care about 3C when we need good 1st and 2nd pairings overall. I'm more of a guy who prefers we get the important pieces out of the way 1st and care less about the 3C position. I also picture Bear as more than just a 3C, which might be the 10 or 20% difference you mentioned earlier perhaps.

Problem is I picture Bear has a 3rd pairing RHD.  3C is much more valuable in comparison.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Problem is I picture Bear has a 3rd pairing RHD.  3C is much more valuable in comparison.

We're going to have to agree to disagree then if we can't agree on Bear himself. As the very base level, I picture Bear as potential 2nd pairing material. For whatever reason, I don't see that in Burroughs. The pay (as far as we know anyway) agrees with me as well if we're to base things off the numbers we're going by for each of those players. lol

Even if we're to look at base stats, Bear has more points, more games under his belt, was actually a PLUS on our team (not that plus/minus is a great stat to go by but still, Burroughs was a minus in comparison). Bear's also the younger of the 2.

Edited by The Lock

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

We're going to have to agree to disagree then if we can't agree on Bear himself. As the very base level, I picture Bear as potential 2nd pairing material. For whatever reason, I don't see that in Burroughs. The pay (as far as we know anyway) agrees with me as well if we're to base things off the numbers we're going by for each of those players. lol

2nd pairing RHD are usually $4m or more.  Unless you think Bear is worth that, he's not much more than a tweener between 2nd and 3rd pair.  Not exactly ideal.  Overpaid as a 3rd pair.  Under qualified as a 2nd pair lol

• Cheers 2

Just now, HKSR said:

2nd pairing RHD are usually $4m or more.  Unless you think Bear is worth that, he's not much more than a tweener between 2nd and 3rd pair.  Not exactly ideal.  Overpaid as a 3rd pair.  Under qualified as a 2nd pair lol

This is why I said potential. I think he has more potential than Burroughs. A lot more if I'm being frank.

• Wat 1

22 minutes ago, The Lock said:

This is why I said potential. I think he has more potential than Burroughs. A lot more if I'm being frank.

Not sure having more potential than Burroughs qualifies Bear as a legit 2nd pair RHD though haha

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not sure having more potential than Burroughs qualifies Bear as a legit 2nd pair RHD though haha

I said potential 2nd pairing, meaning the future. I'm not saying like RIGHT NOW! ZOMG! lol

Burroughs is a defender who knows his job and does it well, but I can't see him ever breaking out of 3rd pairing. Bear on the other hand I do see potentially breaking out of that which is why he'd be paid more, because he has that extra that Burroughs does not have. Even now, I don't see Bear as strictly a 3rd pairing.

You're welcome to disagree... but please... read what I'm saying rather than leaving out words that I said. I say words for a reason. I guess this goes to show you can say whatever you want to cover your butt and people will still think you mean exactly 2nd pairing like right now since you said 2nd pairing, ignore everything in front of that. lol

Anyway, I just wish people actually like... read posts rather than going "oh no this person's against my opinion I don't want to readz!!!!!"

(as I get progressively drunk rambling at the same time)

Edited by The Lock
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I said potential 2nd pairing, meaning the future. I'm not saying like RIGHT NOW! ZOMG! lol

Burroughs is a defender who knows his job and does it well, but I can't see him ever breaking out of 3rd pairing. Bear on the other hand I do see potentially breaking out of that which is why he'd be paid more, because he has that extra that Burroughs does not have. Even now, I don't see Bear as strictly a 3rd pairing.

You're welcome to disagree... but please... read what I'm saying rather than leaving out words that I said. I say words for a reason. I guess this goes to show you can say whatever you want to cover your butt and people will still think you mean exactly 2nd pairing like right now since you said 2nd pairing, ignore everything in front of that. lol

Anyway, I just wish people actually like... read posts rather than going "oh no this person's against my opinion I don't want to readz!!!!!"

(as I get progressively drunk rambling at the same time)

I did understand what you're saying, but what I'm trying to say is that I don't think Bear is ever gonna be a bona-fide 2nd pairing guy.  In other words, no, i dont think he has the potential to be that guy.  He's already turning 26 in a couple months.  You kinda know what you have in a player by now.  Comparing him to Burroughs doesn't help the argument.  Burroughs is a bottom pair guy.  Bear is a tweener between bottom pair and 2nd pair.  On a legit contender, Bear would never be the 2nd pair RHD.

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The Canucks better not be paying Bear 3 mil…

That would be a very Benning thing to do to pay a player that couldn’t even be a regular on the Canes 3 mil…

We desperately need value contracts right now not overpayments.

New management will not overpay Bear. But we do worry about such contracts because we have PTBD. 

• Haha 2