The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Ethan Bear Contract Talks

Qualifying defenseman Ethan Bear before he got injured at the World Hockey Championships was never an issue, it may be now.

Bear had surgery on his shoulder last week and is out 6 months.

Sources indicate it is not a slam dunk the Canucks will qualify Bear after the NHL draft next week.

If they do not, he becomes a UFA.

Agent Jason Davidson continues to talk with the Canucks about Bear, one thing is clear, the long term injury to Bear has made his contract situation much tougher to deal with.

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1ssa3m9

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He won’t get qualified. Another prediction I am sure to get right. 

That’s highly possible ,  

how does it effect the cap if he is potentially signed and then on LTIR ?

If they want to keep him, they’ll offer a 2 year, be 1 year as a Saftey net .

Management might show more interest in having Breezer , Woolanin Hirose or Dman Petey have that ice time .

Too bad we didn’t attract J Livingstone.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

That’s highly possible ,  

how does it effect the cap if he is potentially signed and then on LTIR ?

If they want to keep him, they’ll offer a 2 year, be 1 year as a Saftey net .

Management might show more interest in having Breezer , Woolanin Hirose or Dman Petey have that ice time .

Too bad we didn’t attract J Livingstone.

If they sign him they can put him on LTIR. The problem would be when he’s healthy and having to take him off LTIR. They would need to create $2 million in cap space in the middle of December to get him on the roster. 

At the end of the day, nobody is going to sign him now until he is healthy. So better to wait it out and see how the season goes before committing to any contract with Bear. 

• Like 1
  • elephant 1

Petey said no to WC cuz he couldn't get insured.  Who handles Bear that said ya go ahead and play?

He is going to lose some money by being injured.  He was probably going to sign around 3 years x 2.5 or so.  Now may get 1 year at 1 to 1.5M.

Why anyone goes to the WC when they are on an expiring contract is a mystery.  

Edit: other than Lucic lol.

Edited by fanfor42

17 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Petey said no to WC cuz he couldn't get insured.  Who handles Bear that said ya go ahead and play?

He is going to lose some money by being injured.  He was probably going to sign around 3 years x 2.5 or so.  Now may get 1 year at 1 to 1.5M.

Why anyone goes to the WC when they are on an expiring contract is a mystery.  

Edit: other than Lucic lol.

Expiring contract or not, one probably opts to play in the WC quite simply, to play for their country and to possibly add another trophy to their arsenal; another part to one's legacy and more to write on their obituary! (I jest on the obit part.) 

I'm sure it's not vanity or any such thing as that, but more so a duty. if you will, or want to play for your country. A genuine desire as it were.

Bummer with Bear's injury from such though. But he's got a World Championship Gold Medal. And I'm sure he figures it was worth it for the experience and the outcome, injured or not. So.....it's just a matter of how this affects his contract with us, or even if he's still gonna be here.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Happy to see Canucks are working on extending Juulsen and Burroughs. 

Yeah, Juulsen and Burroughs would likely come at the same cap hit as Bear alone.  I know where the value is there.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Considering the injury, I can see them opting to not qualify him and then signing him anyway to something like 1 yr, 1.5 million.

I doubted they would qualify him if he wasn't injured.  They can't risk him taking them to arbitration and getting a big award they aren't allowed to walk away from.

I think they injury might actually increase the chance of signing him.  He will be motivated to sign a cheaper deal so he gets paid while he is out.  Otherwise he risks losing an entire year of salary, or if he isn't qualified and becomes a UFA then he might have to settle for signing a pro-rated deal when he is ready to play again for low money as most teams would be wary of bringing in a guy who has to somehow get into mid season form after being off and not being able to train through the offseason.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

I doubted they would qualify him if he wasn't injured.  They can't risk him taking them to arbitration and getting a big award they aren't allowed to walk away from.

I think they injury might actually increase the chance of signing him.  He will be motivated to sign a cheaper deal so he gets paid while he is out.  Otherwise he risks losing an entire year of salary, or if he isn't qualified and becomes a UFA then he might have to settle for signing a pro-rated deal when he is ready to play again for low money as most teams would be wary of bringing in a guy who has to somehow get into mid season form after being off and not being able to train through the offseason.

Actually see this too.   The odds of someone out of the lineup mid Dec to January is maybe worth it.    Think it will also depend on whomever they go after to replace OEL to a degree.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Provost said:

Agree completely, was thinking pretty much the same. He's going to have a hard time getting a team to sign him at 2...ish million per, without a clean bill of health.

• Upvote 1

On 6/21/2023 at 3:11 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Considering the injury, I can see them opting to not qualify him and then signing him anyway to something like 1 yr, 1.5 million.

I would do something along these lines:

Not quailify Bear, but re sign him to a 2yr 3m deal 1.5m cap hit. We get him for a 2nd year at a fairly low cap hit and could play with Hughes or be the guy leading the 3rd pairing. If Bear does not come back well from the injury he can be mostly buried in the AHL at worst if we cant trade him or a team does not claim him on waivers if it came to that.

I would rather try keep Bear for a short 2 yr deal rather than go sign Dumba for example who will cost more both in term and cap hit.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Neutral said:

I would do something along these lines:

Not quailify Bear, but re sign him to a 2yr 3m deal 1.5m cap hit. We get him for a 2nd year at a fairly low cap hit and could play with Hughes or be the guy leading the 3rd pairing. If Bear does not come back well from the injury he can be mostly buried in the AHL at worst if we cant trade him or a team does not claim him on waivers if it came to that.

I would rather try keep Bear for a short 2 yr deal rather than go sign Dumba for example who will cost more both in term and cap hit.

On a 2 year you are buying UFA years so you aren't getting him for less than his QO

20 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

If not qualifying Bear, theyre getting another top-4 RD

And if true, that means they're going after 2 defenseman (LD to replace OEL and a RD) (and a 3C)

And if true, they have something in mind to move out a winger

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Only way the math works is to move a winger or 2 preferably.