The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Ethan Bear Contract Talks

Im ok w a 1 year deal.  If youre buying UFA years afterwards, is it going to change much $$$ wise whether you do the deal now or next year?  Probably not.

I like Bear though-he’s a steady eddy alot like Schenn.  Hes got a spot here if he wants it-best not to go crazy with demands.  Juulsen isnt that far off from him.

33 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I would be shocked. Teams and Agents don't talk about this stuff with press unless they are trying to mislead someone and use public opinion to press an issue.

Most organizations are tight about it and don't want to deal with agents who leak information.

This is why they use speculative language. Teams are really careful about this stuff now, they don't want team business leaking out into the media where it can be twisted.

Pettersson: "I want to play on a winning team..."

Vancouver Media: "Pettersson demands trade...."

It probably would not be a good use of time for either of us to get into a back and forth, so this will be my last comment.

1. Of course you are right that the media often twist things  But there is nothing new about that. Its not like management groups have just figured that out.   

2. I have never worked in the media but I have had interactions with the media that leave no doubt that many people in the media rely extensively on off-the-record information from confidential sources.

3. Some guys in the media are a lot more careful than others and therefore have more credibility. I think Dhaliwal has a lot of credibility.

4. Dhali made the right call on signing Hirose and McWard and also made the right call on not signing Livingstone well before any official announcement. He obviously had some inside source, either with the team or with the "family advisors" (agents) of the players. 

5. The JR regime has been a lot tighter than the Benning regime in terms of "leaks", but leaks still occur.

6. As for intentional leaks, you may be right that neither the team nor agent normally wants to leaks confidential information very often, it seems hard to rule that out entirely. Nobody wants to to reveal an actual number but information about "comparables" often comes out, and that provides some information about numbers. . 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Remember this beautiful quote about Chychrun trade from a digital paper that wants you to PAY to read their crap!

The Coyotes' asking price for Chychrun, according to Pierre LeBrun on The Athletic's trade board, is two first-round draft picks and a prospect. That's a steep cost.

I'm sure Arizona's asking price was that... but nobody paid and they waffled. Doesn't mean it's wrong

Edited by coryberg
  • Upvote 1

On 3/8/2023 at 1:50 PM, aGENT said:

Just telling it like it is hombre :P

Wowee, maturing in your contract opinions.

A few years ago we were to lose everyone to waivers. And it was a catastrophe...  Had to qualify everyone.

I agree, we should do a reasonable contract & term. Or let Bear walk?  That said, Stecher signed for less than the QO we declined.  But Bears agent says they are open to 3 years?  Say 3 x $1.75M?  3 x $1.5M?? 3 x $2.0M???   

*   No reason for them to sign a 1 year less than any Qualifying offer ($2.2M), until they hit free agency. So it's no surprise they are not talking.

**  Fancy stats are ok, 2knd behind Hughes on the D in possession metrics. A reasonable 51.4% Corsi among some disasters.

*** No real scoring, but sparse PP & NO PK among pretty much dead even Offensive versus Defensive zone starts. 

Net summary is Ethan Bear does not hurt us.  On a bad team is that ok?  He also does not move the needle, drive play or contribute much meaningful. 4th in ice time, 4th in blocks, little to no points or hits. Not a difference maker.

• Like 1

I'd give Bear a one year show me deal.  So just qualify him at whatever number that is.  With Johansson and McWard, either could make the big club in a year.  We could also get more RHD via a trade.  With a one-year deal, we don't have to worry about another long-term deal, we still have Poolman for 2 more years.  If Johansson breaks into the club earlier than expected and outplays Bear, then we can still trade him for a pick during the season.  

At the end of the day, I see Bear more as a filler and not a long-term solution.  I don't see him as Hughes future long-term partner, we have Hronek for the 2nd pair, and we can easily find guys who can play on the 3rd pairing for less than $3 million, ideally Johansson...

• Cheers 1

We should treat Bear brutally the way we did Motte -  Motte was asking for 2+M and we wouldn't budge, so let him walk and we replaced him.

Bear is worth no more than 2M because despite our weaknesses on D, we can easily replace bottom defencemen, it'd true top guys we're struggling with.

Hirose, Rathbone, Wolanin, Brisebois, McWard...

I know they're mostly LDs but we also have Hronek and Myers still in the fold, so realistically Bear would be our 6th defenceman. He can't be making more than 1.5M and that's a stretch. He'd be greedy asking for 3M after the career he's had, he's hardly blown people away this year.

I'd be really tempted to see how Hirose goes on the right, he looks so smooth I bet he'd transition well.

15 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Again, he asked for a trade, they opted to sit him until they could accommodate that, it is not that he "couldn't crack the Canes lineup"

Lol 

they traded him and pederson for a 5th.

you think they sat him because he asked for a trade lolololololololololololololol. 
He wasn’t playing because he was the bottom of their depth d men and worth barely more than waivers. And he wouldn’t have asked for a trade if they were playing him.

he’s a 2 mill max player and a number 6/7 on most teams. 

he’s easily replaced as demonstrated by Carolina 

• Wat 1

9 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Wowee, maturing in your contract opinions.

A few years ago we were to lose everyone to waivers. And it was a catastrophe...  Had to qualify everyone.

I agree, we should do a reasonable contract & term. Or let Bear walk?  That said, Stecher signed for less than the QO we declined.  But Bears agent says they are open to 3 years?  Say 3 x $1.75M?  3 x $1.5M?? 3 x $2.0M???   

*   No reason for them to sign a 1 year less than any Qualifying offer ($2.2M), until they hit free agency. So it's no surprise they are not talking.

**  Fancy stats are ok, 2knd behind Hughes on the D in possession metrics. A reasonable 51.4% Corsi among some disasters.

*** No real scoring, but sparse PP & NO PK among pretty much dead even Offensive versus Defensive zone starts. 

Net summary is Ethan Bear does not hurt us.  On a bad team is that ok?  He also does not move the needle, drive play or contribute much meaningful. 4th in ice time, 4th in blocks, little to no points or hits. Not a difference maker.

I think you have me confused with someone else...:blink:

As I've said numerous times in this thread. It was a good trade, he's a decent depth D, and I'd happily have him back at a number that makes sense. Which IMO, is something like $1.8x 2-3.

The $3m his agent is feeding Dhaliwal, is ridiculous.

18 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Again, he asked for a trade, they opted to sit him until they could accommodate that, it is not that he "couldn't crack the Canes lineup"

That's why he asked for a trade.  He was no longer a regular the previous season and was even healthy scratched all playoffs - he didn't play in any of their 14 playoff games.  

Friedman's recap of the situation in his 32 Thoughts:  

7. One defenceman whose situation is coming to a head is Ethan Bear‘s. Players want to play, and he hasn’t dressed yet this season. It’s nothing nefarious, Carolina’s doing what it thinks is best, but he can’t be happy and it’s really hard when you don’t play a game like the one in Edmonton — since you always want to prove your former team to be wrong. 

After mentioning it last weekend, a couple of sources indicated there was a trade request last summer. The Hurricanes’ position is as follows: They consider Bear a legit NHL defenceman and, since they don’t have cap issues, won’t eat part of his salary for “minimal return.” It’s possible Bear ends up on waivers to see if anyone claims him, and word is he would go to AHL Chicago, just because he wants to play. Vancouver has shown real interest. Washington did around the draft. It’s believed Toronto’s poked around too. I’m sure there are others, we will see how it ends up. 

Edited by mll

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd give Bear a one year show me deal.  So just qualify him at whatever number that is.  With Johansson and McWard, either could make the big club in a year.  We could also get more RHD via a trade.  With a one-year deal, we don't have to worry about another long-term deal, we still have Poolman for 2 more years.  If Johansson breaks into the club earlier than expected and outplays Bear, then we can still trade him for a pick during the season.  

At the end of the day, I see Bear more as a filler and not a long-term solution.  I don't see him as Hughes future long-term partner, we have Hronek for the 2nd pair, and we can easily find guys who can play on the 3rd pairing for less than $3 million, ideally Johansson...

Johansson maybe but Ward is more AHL depth than NHL depth at this point. Very young still, could develop into NHLer. 

2 hours ago, mll said:

That's why he asked for a trade.  He was no longer a regular the previous season and was even healthy scratched all playoffs - he didn't play in any of their 14 playoff games.  

Played 58 games for them (1 more than he's played this season) and averaged over 16 minutes a game over that span, that would put him firmly in the #5 spot this season on that team.

He was most certainly a regular in his season with Carolina. In his final game he logged 22:57 toi.

As for the playoffs it's a head scratcher, I'm sure there were reasons behind the scenes for that and the trade request.

• Cheers 1

Man our fan base is really undervaluing what Bear brought to the team this year. 

Hughes had by far the most success with Bear. And our third best pairing? OEL-Bear (OEL dreadful with every other partner).

He has been very good this season and is a guy that fits well with our two highest paid dmen. I think we have to bring him back, he is not as easily replaceable as people are making it seem 

15 hours ago, coryberg said:

Played 58 games for them (1 more than he's played this season) and averaged over 16 minutes a game over that span, that would put him firmly in the #5 spot this season on that team.

He was most certainly a regular in his season with Carolina. In his final game he logged 22:57 toi.

As for the playoffs it's a head scratcher, I'm sure there were reasons behind the scenes for that and the trade request.

That final game was against NJD who were well out of the playoffs and Carolina had already clinched.  The playoffs were starting the following week and it's really not unusual for playoff teams to rest their main roster and/or reduce their minutes as they want to avoid injury before the post-season. 

He was part of the rotating crew and not a D with a guaranteed spot if everyone had been healthy all season.  Not many regulars get healthy scratched 5 games in a row right in the middle of the season.  He started the season in their top-6 but as the season went on he started having more trouble being a regular.  Slavin, Pesce, Skjei, Cole were their regulars with Deangelo becoming one too.  It left 1 spot between Bear and Smith and for the playoffs they went with Smith. 

3 hours ago, mll said:

That final game was against NJD who were well out of the playoffs and Carolina had already clinched.  The playoffs were starting the following week and it's really not unusual for playoff teams to rest their main roster and/or reduce their minutes as they want to avoid injury before the post-season. 

He was part of the rotating crew and not a D with a guaranteed spot if everyone had been healthy all season.  Not many regulars get healthy scratched 5 games in a row right in the middle of the season.  He started the season in their top-6 but as the season went on he started having more trouble being a regular.  Slavin, Pesce, Skjei, Cole were their regulars with Deangelo becoming one too.  It left 1 spot between Bear and Smith and for the playoffs they went with Smith. 

58 games in a season where he was out for a big stretch with covid and the lingering effects...

Screenshot_20230408_080425_Chrome.jpg

then another bit after taking a puck in the ankle...

Screenshot_20230408_075723_Chrome.jpg

That is a regular.

Edited by coryberg

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

58 games in a season where he was out for a big stretch with covid and the lingering effects...

Screenshot_20230408_080425_Chrome.jpg

then another bit after taking a puck in the ankle...

Screenshot_20230408_075723_Chrome.jpg

That is a regular.

They played Calgary 2x:  9 December 2021 and 7 January 2022 at home.  Their playoffs started on 2 May.  That's probably not the reason he wasn't in the playoffs 4 months later.  Speculation about his future in Carolina came up after the playoffs when he was healthy scratched for all 14 games.  He was a regular to start the season but his struggle to recover from Covid / he talked of how frustrating it had been to get back fitness wise, had him no longer be deemed a regular and he asked out. 

23 hours ago, mll said:

They consider Bear a legit NHL defenceman and, since they don’t have cap issues, won’t eat part of his salary for “minimal return.”. 

It's funny but that's exactly what they ended up doing. They ate part of his salary for a 5th rounder. 

Bear is far more important to this team than fans give him credit for. While Bear’s numbers are solid albeit unspectacular, both Hughes and OEL really elevated their play this year with Bear as their partner. He gives us many different looks. He is still young as well - definitely one to keep.

• Cheers 3