The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Ethan Bear Contract Talks

44 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Not sure he’s shown enough to buy UFA years - but I can’t see them not qualifying him. At the least you can flip him at the deadline in that case.  Makes no sense to just let him walk.

A three year deal would only be buying one UFA year, i think. So offer him the 10% pay raise on year one, another 10% on year two and the 'over three million' for that one ufa year.
year one: 2.42 million

year two: 2.662 million

year three: 3.15 Million

-------------------------------

Total: $8,232,000.00

AAV: $2,744,000.00

THeoretically of course.

• Cheers 2

Rutherford should have left Bear’s name off the recent STH letter.

Kinda tipped their hand, mentioning him as one of the “emerging new players” who are part of a “terrific base to build upon.”

I’m only half serious. 

But I don’t see how it helped their negotiating position to namedrop a pending RFA (with arbitration rights) as basically being part of the core.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1

To me, the guy is a 3rd pairing D who “can” play up the lineup in a pinch and if you are a bad team.  Very much like Stecher was.

Not a guy to spend big cap dollars on.  It is complicated by a risky arbitration award if we qualify him.  I think we don’t qualify him and let him walk if we can’t move his rights at the draft.

Worst case is we qualify him, he files for arbitration meaning we have to be prepared for an aaard at the high end ($3.5-4.0 million) so can’t spend those cap dollars in other players earlier in the offseason and wouldn’t be able to walk away from that award either.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

To me, the guy is a 3rd pairing D who “can” play up the lineup in a pinch and if you are a bad team.  Very much like Stecher was.

Not a guy to spend big cap dollars on.  It is complicated by a risky arbitration award if we qualify him.  I think we don’t qualify him and let him walk if we can’t move his rights at the draft.

Worst case is we qualify him, he files for arbitration meaning we have to be prepared for an aaard at the high end ($3.5-4.0 million) so can’t spend those cap dollars in other players earlier in the offseason and wouldn’t be able to walk away from that award either.

I think he’s better than Stecher. Maybe more like a Kulak? I’d probably take Kulak over Bear though, even without factoring in the contract situations for the two. 

I see Bear averages about a minute more in TOI but aside from that I think he’ll be hard pressed to ask for more than Kulak’s 4 x $2.75M

7 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I thought the only way we couldn't walk away from an arbitration decision is if the team elected to take the player to arbitration; but if the player elects to seek arbitration, then the team has the option to accept or not accept the ruling.  No?

If the award is under about $4.5 million I don’t believe the team can walk away from it.

That is the danger range for a guy like Besr who will be under that threshold but possibly close to it.

This is one of the reasons I thought it was a good idea to clear cap and not sign guys.  I think there will be a decent crop of unqualified young RFAs who will become UFAs this offseason and may be targets we could sign.  There won’t be a lot of teams with cap space and these guys will want short term show me deals on a team with opportunity where they can rehab their value a little.  

https://www.capfriendly.com/arbitration

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I thought the only way we couldn't walk away from an arbitration decision is if the team elected to take the player to arbitration; but if the player elects to seek arbitration, then the team has the option to accept or not accept the ruling.  No?

It depends on how much the award is IIRC. There’s a threshold number where the team can walk away if it’s above that number, but if it’s below the threshold the team is forced to sign. That number changes each year but I think it’s around $3.5-4M?

This guy is not close to being a 4 million dollar player.  He is very average at everything and not really good at anything.  I hope they walk from this guy and not get saddled into a contract that will disrupt the team moving forward

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

A three year deal would only be buying one UFA year, i think. So offer him the 10% pay raise on year one, another 10% on year two and the 'over three million' for that one ufa year.
year one: 2.42 million

year two: 2.662 million

year three: 3.15 Million

-------------------------------

Total: $8,232,000.00

AAV: $2,744,000.00

THeoretically of course.

I don’t know exactly when he gets to UFA or not but I’d be good with something like that. Still need to move out Myers.

With the scarcity and cost of RD I think he can play a 4-5 behind Hronek and we can use a combination of Schenn/Burroughs/organizational depth can take the 3rd pair.

Ideally Bear’s contract is light enough that if we land another true top 4 RD it’ll be palatable if he’s a 16-18 minute 3rd pairing guy - but he can play up the lineup when needed.

Couldn’t crack the canes line up. 
Hes a solid depth D man on a very bad team with no depth

sounds more like a 1.5-2 mill guy to me. 

3 mill would be a mistake at least for us it would. 

good luck hope he finds a team to pay it. 

• Wat 2

29 minutes ago, combover said:

Couldn’t crack the canes line up. 
Hes a solid depth D man on a very bad team with no depth

sounds more like a 1.5-2 mill guy to me. 

3 mill would be a mistake at least for us it would. 

good luck hope he finds a team to pay it. 

Again, he asked for a trade, they opted to sit him until they could accommodate that, it is not that he "couldn't crack the Canes lineup"

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

So, there's a KEY term here that they use... "MY GUESS" which means, they have NO fricken idea!

They are trying to make s#@T up so that they have something to talk about. Total speculation, the one thing this management group seems really good at is not discussing contract negotiations in public.

I like Bear, but there is no way we go anywhere near that high for him, and fans need to stop listening to Vancouver media who couldn't get an actual job with an NHL team above janitorial staff!

• Cheers 2

Seriously, how bad would this team be if it was run by the media in this town.

We'd have trouble beating ECHL teams!

Fans seem to love to latch onto every misleading word that they say.

There is no media in Vancouver who has any legitimate insight into contract or trade negotiations. They have ZERO idea of what players are being actively discussed in trade or what's being offered.

Same goes for media in all cities.

Remember this beautiful quote about Chychrun trade from a digital paper that wants you to PAY to read their crap!

The Coyotes' asking price for Chychrun, according to Pierre LeBrun on The Athletic's trade board, is two first-round draft picks and a prospect. That's a steep cost.

3 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Not sure he’s shown enough to buy UFA years - but I can’t see them not qualifying him. At the least you can flip him at the deadline in that case.  Makes no sense to just let him walk.

I think this is the right call.  Qualifying him and letting him to go arbitration creates some risk, but I would be willing to bet that either the Canucks can get him to accept a reasonable one-year offer or that the arbitration award will be reasonable. I would not go over a 3 million cap hit for a two to four year deal. As others have said, there is a good chance that within a couple of years the Canucks will have guys similar in quality to Bear getting not much more than the minimum

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, there's a KEY term here that they use... "MY GUESS" which means, they have NO fricken idea!

I like Bear, but there is no way we go anywhere near that high for him, and fans need to stop listening to Vancouver media who couldn't get an actual job with an NHL team above janitorial staff!

I think Dhaliwal has a pretty good track record. HIs sources on the team and among agents are pretty good.  It would not surprise me at all if either the agent or someone on the Canucks has provided this number, or a hint at this number, on an off-the-record basis.  

3 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I think this is the right call.  Qualifying him and letting him to go arbitration creates some risk, but I would be willing to bet that either the Canucks can get him to accept a reasonable one-year offer or that the arbitration award will be reasonable. I would not go over a 3 million cap hit for a two to four year deal. As others have said, there is a good chance that within a couple of years the Canucks will have guys similar in quality to Bear getting not much more than the minimum

I think Dhaliwal has a pretty good track record. HIs sources on the team and among agents are pretty good.  It would not surprise me at all if either the agent or someone on the Canucks has provided this number, or a hint at this number, on an off-the-record basis.  

I would be shocked. Teams and Agents don't talk about this stuff with press unless they are trying to mislead someone and use public opinion to press an issue.

Most organizations are tight about it and don't want to deal with agents who leak information.

This is why they use speculative language. Teams are really careful about this stuff now, they don't want team business leaking out into the media where it can be twisted.

Pettersson: "I want to play on a winning team..."

Vancouver Media: "Pettersson demands trade...."

Edited by VegasCanuck

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Big fan of Bear, but if he's asking high 3s, I wish him all the best on his next team.

Yup. Bear is a 1.5-2.5 guy depending on the term. 10 mil over five years would be more than fair for him. 

Lol, first off Dhaliwal was doing a lot of talking out of his ass here. Obviously yes, a 1 year deal isn't ideal. As he will be a UFA next summer. But that doesn't automatically mean Bear on a 3 year deal is worth the high 3s. Also, he made it sound like the Canucks went hard all summer trading for him or gave up a plethora of assets. Not to mention the RHD landscape has changed since last summer. Our life doesn't hinge on retaining Bear. Flip his RFA rights to someone else for a 5th rounder if we have to. But high 3s is strictly a Dhaliwal number. No actual report of that being Bears asking price.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1