The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Ethan Bear Contract Talks

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Can we Qualify him at 2.2 for next season?  That might be ideal if we could. Then he's an expiring contract and has value at the 2024 TDL if needed. 

We can. But I'd imagine, like Brock, we'll negotiate a more reasonable, market value, $1.8-$2 deal, rather than his QO.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Because he wanted, and presumably still wants, to be here? And he's an RFA?

ya don't see a reason for him to sign anything for 1-2mil prior to seeing what other teams would offer in the ufa. rfa means nothing because it's highly unlikely the canucks will qualify him at 2.2 and if they do bear already wins as if they can't agree on any 2-3 years sub 2mil deal he already have the 2.2mil this season to fall back on to bet on himself.. and unless he falls off the face of the earth.. he will get a similar contract next season.. or if he does well an get a bigger contract.

On 4/17/2023 at 7:19 PM, HKSR said:

I did understand what you're saying, but what I'm trying to say is that I don't think Bear is ever gonna be a bona-fide 2nd pairing guy.  In other words, no, i dont think he has the potential to be that guy.  He's already turning 26 in a couple months.  You kinda know what you have in a player by now.  Comparing him to Burroughs doesn't help the argument.  Burroughs is a bottom pair guy.  Bear is a tweener between bottom pair and 2nd pair.  On a legit contender, Bear would never be the 2nd pair RHD.

Bear sucks

On 4/17/2023 at 7:49 PM, DeNiro said:

The Canucks better not be paying Bear 3 mil…

That would be a very Benning thing to do to pay a player that couldn’t even be a regular on the Canes 3 mil…

We desperately need value contracts right now not overpayments.

If we pay Bear $3 mil I think that's the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. I think I'd walk away from this team at that point. There is also a giraffe joke about our animal defence in there. 

On 4/17/2023 at 10:04 PM, N4ZZY said:

What would you pay Bear then? 

I would pay him nothing and tell him to hit the road. He sucks. 

On 4/18/2023 at 8:43 PM, Rick_theRyper said:

Tryamkin = 3 Bear 

I'd rather have tryamkin if we're throwing Poolman money at bear.

:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

A Tryamkin Bear pairing. Worst in history :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

• Like 1

If I’m the Canucks I’d be preaching the fact we saved your career and you have a nice fit here since you could play with hughes most of the time…don’t mess it up

ultimately, he’s a 3rd pair guy who can play in the top 4 in a pinch…3rd pair guys don’t get more than 1.5-2m 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

ya don't see a reason for him to sign anything for 1-2mil prior to seeing what other teams would offer in the ufa. rfa means nothing because it's highly unlikely the canucks will qualify him at 2.2 and if they do bear already wins as if they can't agree on any 2-3 years sub 2mil deal he already have the 2.2mil this season to fall back on to bet on himself.. and unless he falls off the face of the earth.. he will get a similar contract next season.. or if he does well an get a bigger contract.

One year at $2.2 with risk of injury etc or say 3x$1.9 (averaged) for a total of ~$5.7 guaranteed. I know which one I'd take and if I was his agent, which one I'd recommend...

• Like 1

Guy is apparently going to Worlds. Gonna be interesting to see if he can dodge the injury bug. I really hope he does. But we seen OEL have a major injury at Worlds. But he already had his cushy contract. Bear is risking a contract. Knock on wood he stays healthy, I really don't like Worlds representation. But I also get it, most players can't represent their countries. Well, with the league not letting players go to the Olympics nobody can represent their country. So I can see why it'd appeal to so many.

18 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Guy is apparently going to Worlds. Gonna be interesting to see if he can dodge the injury bug. I really hope he does. But we seen OEL have a major injury at Worlds. But he already had his cushy contract. Bear is risking a contract. Knock on wood he stays healthy, I really don't like Worlds representation. But I also get it, most players can't represent their countries. Well, with the league not letting players go to the Olympics nobody can represent their country. So I can see why it'd appeal to so many.

Bear going to the Worlds speaks volumes about the man. He has to sign a new contract and appears willing to show the Canucks what he can do on a world stage. Good on him. He aspires to be a top 4 d-man but I have him as a 3RD. He can move up to 2RD if needed during the regular season but I don't see that in Cup play. He is young enough that we likely have not seen him top out yet. Hurricanes didn't see enough to keep him? 

• Like 2

On 4/6/2023 at 5:58 PM, Bell said:

This guy is not close to being a 4 million dollar player.  He is very average at everything and not really good at anything.  I hope they walk from this guy and not get saddled into a contract that will disrupt the team moving forward

I don't agree with your assessment that he's average. He is excellent at retrieving pucks in pressure and has a solid first pass. He is young and plays the most coveted position in the NHL's current climate. We have to kick the tires here, but we obviously cannot sign and commit to a player of his calibre (low end 4D, high end 5D) if the contract doesn't make sense for us. 

On 4/20/2023 at 1:25 AM, wai_lai416 said:

i don't think bear will re-sign with vancouver for anything less than the qualifying offer 2.2mil.. i mean why would he sign for anything less?? if the canucks don't qualify him i'm sure there'll be plenty of teams that'll offer whatever the canucks are offering undering the qualifying offer.. and if he plays great.. they can flip him at the TDL for free asset even if it's a 3rd 4th or 5th round pick.

And that’s why we will qualify him. Then we will sell him off at the 2024 TDL as an expiring contract. Likely he gets us a second. If he wants term then he’s looking at 1.8-2 times 3-5 years. If he wants more then he gets his 1 year at 2.2. 

59 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And that’s why we will qualify him. Then we will sell him off at the 2024 TDL as an expiring contract. Likely he gets us a second. If he wants term then he’s looking at 1.8-2 times 3-5 years. If he wants more then he gets his 1 year at 2.2. 

lol no one is going got give u a 2nd.. if he's worth a 2nd carolina wouldn't give him away literally for free as an rfa he's no better than schenn for what he brings

30 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol no one is going got give u a 2nd.. if he's worth a 2nd carolina wouldn't give him away literally for free as an rfa he's no better than schenn for what he brings

Schenn brings way more size and physicality. Bear's more of a puck moving defenseman. Carolina has the luxury of having a well built defense, so that plays in to what they traded him for. 

48 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Schenn brings way more size and physicality. Bear's more of a puck moving defenseman. Carolina has the luxury of having a well built defense, so that plays in to what they traded him for. 

he's a RD he's cheap and relatively young. if he have value there'll be more teams in on him than basically just vancouver. if he have no value then with only a 1 year deal as a rfa he's not all of a sudden going to have value being a pending ufa at the tdl

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

he's a RD he's cheap and relatively young. if he have value there'll be more teams in on him than basically just vancouver. if he have no value then with only a 1 year deal as a rfa he's not all of a sudden going to have value being a pending ufa at the tdl

m'kay

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

typical cdc thinking every player on the canucks are worth the moon. bear for 2nd boeser for a 1st myer for a 2nd etc etc lol

What are you talking about? You really jump to some conclusions in that brain of yours, don't you? You took the word "m'kay" and assumed that I thought Bear would be worth a second in a trade. Maybe try making sense in a post instead of this stream of consciousness verbal diarrhea.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...