The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Ethan Bear Contract Talks

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The Canucks better not be paying Bear 3 mil…

That would be a very Benning thing to do to pay a player that couldn’t even be a regular on the Canes 3 mil…

We desperately need value contracts right now not overpayments.

What would you pay Bear then? 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

New management will not overpay Bear. But we do worry about such contracts because we have PTBD. 

I would laugh so hard if Calgary signed Benning to be their next GM. 

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No more than he was making. The Canucks helped salvage his career.

2 x 2 is fair if he wants to keep building his game back up.

He's not going to sign for 2M. Probably if it's a one year deal, 1x2M then yeah. If it's 2 years, I can see his agent asking for closer to 2.5M. 

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, HKSR said:

We'd have the better player at a position like 3C (given we save $2M to put towards 3C). 

Could literally be the difference between Ivan Barbashev as 3C vs David Kampf.

I would actually rather have Kampf. Barbashev is really more of a winger than a center and his faceoff stats are pretty garbage. Yes, Barbashev brings a bit more physicality and scoring, but Kampf actually has a lot of experience as a match-up center and does the job well plus can should still provide around 30 points.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I would actually rather have Kampf. Barbashev is really more of a winger than a center and his faceoff stats are pretty garbage. Yes, Barbashev brings a bit more physicality and scoring, but Kampf actually has a lot of experience as a match-up center and does the job well plus can should still provide around 30 points.

You're taking it too literal man.  The point is we would have more to spend on a quality 3C.

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

No more than he was making. The Canucks helped salvage his career.

2 x 2 is fair if he wants to keep building his game back up.

True. Is that his qualifying offer? Bear's been good, but he didn't do anything that earned him a raise at all. 

On 4/17/2023 at 9:18 PM, N4ZZY said:

He's not going to sign for 2M. Probably if it's a one year deal, 1x2M then yeah. If it's 2 years, I can see his agent asking for closer to 2.5M. 

I have no problem signing him to a 1 year deal if it comes at a reduced price (less than 2.5). Ethan will be 26 next year with 5 seasons under his belt. He is what he is... a 20 point, smallish, 2 way dman that does everything well but nothing great. A decent #4 or a good #5.

I'd rather not buy UFA years (as in overpaying) for a player who has clearly plateaued. We aren't going to find gold in this mine.

Edited by coryberg
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Tryamkin = 3 Bear 

I'd rather have tryamkin if we're throwing Poolman money at bear.

Really...Stats would or SHOULD make you change your mind lol.

This guy didn't wanna stay here. Why would we want a player who rather stay in Russia. 

He would be nothing but a distraction for this team. 

32 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Really...Stats would or SHOULD make you change your mind lol.

This guy didn't wanna stay here. Why would we want a player who rather stay in Russia. 

He would be nothing but a distraction for this team. 

Last time he was here we iced complete plugs over giving him a better look that's why he left and he did almost come back but Benning took his sweet time kinda of like with Tanev Toffoli when he chose Virtanen over our best D and second or third best winger and went and signed Poolman and crap. If Benning had half a brain tryamkin would have been back after his first deal when returning to Russia. 

I think it's fair to say I would take Nakita Tryamkin for a short term deal over Ethan Bear.. tryamkins highlights from Russia show he still has decent speed and that nasty we desperately need. At a way cheap price he replaces what we needed for the last five years from Myers 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

i don't think bear will re-sign with vancouver for anything less than the qualifying offer 2.2mil.. i mean why would he sign for anything less?? if the canucks don't qualify him i'm sure there'll be plenty of teams that'll offer whatever the canucks are offering undering the qualifying offer.. and if he plays great.. they can flip him at the TDL for free asset even if it's a 3rd 4th or 5th round pick.

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i don't think bear will re-sign with vancouver for anything less than the qualifying offer 2.2mil.. i mean why would he sign for anything less?? if the canucks don't qualify him i'm sure there'll be plenty of teams that'll offer whatever the canucks are offering undering the qualifying offer.. and if he plays great.. they can flip him at the TDL for free asset even if it's a 3rd 4th or 5th round pick.

Because he wanted, and presumably still wants, to be here? And he's an RFA?

Edited by aGENT
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Because he wanted, and presumably still wants, to be here? And he's an RFA?

Can we Qualify him at 2.2 for next season?  That might be ideal if we could. Then he's an expiring contract and has value at the 2024 TDL if needed.