The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Guillaume Brisebois

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

How does this look for a worst case scenario?

Hughes 7.8 Bear 2.0

Brisebois 0.775 Hronek 4.4

Wolanin 1.2 Burroughs 1.0

No Way Abandon Thread GIF

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

That's a cap friendly D-corps (I know that 3 remain to be signed).  Does it make it possible to do this?:

• Trade Myers with 50% retained 3.0 for 1 year
  • Buyout OEL (you know the story there)

I don't actually think this will happen but honestly, it's a better group than they've had all year.  They'll have to improve it as time goes on but it's a start.  

In reality, I think that Allvin will do more.

• Haha 3
  • There it is 1

I hope to see him get at least 10 more games with the Big Club,  every game is better than the last.   I’m happy about this signing,  always felt his game would be better at this level,.    and I hope it keeps progressing that way.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Always liked brisebois.  

I think he needs to try add a bit of muscle.  Its crazy that hes 6 2" and only weighs 175lbs

Definitely needs to hit the weight room this off season. I've seen good qualities this call up as well as his earlier call up. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

No Way Abandon Thread GIF

Joker.  That's a better d-corps than they iced against the Leafs on Saturday.  Plus, it's a worst case scenario as I said.  Allvin is surely going to add to the D-corps

Don't you like the NO Myers and NO OEL part?

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Definitely needs to hit the weight room this off season. I've seen good qualities this call up as well as his earlier call up. 

One of his big criticisms is that he's built like a string bean.  Always has bean [s].  I think that he's one of those guys who can't gain weight.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

How does this look for a worst case scenario?

Hughes 7.8 Bear 2.0

Brisebois 0.775 Hronek 4.4

Wolanin 1.2 Burroughs 1.0

That's a cap friendly D-corps (I know that 3 remain to be signed).  Does it make it possible to do this?:

• Trade Myers with 50% retained 3.0 for 1 year
  • Buyout OEL (you know the story there)

I don't actually think this will happen but honestly, it's a better group than they've had all year.  They'll have to improve it as time goes on but it's a start.  

In reality, I think that Allvin will do more.

Once Meyers bonus is paid July 1st what point is there in retaining 50%? You're only freeing up $3m cap for a replacement. For a budget team he's a pretty good deal after the bonus is paid. $6m cap hit to stay above the floor and only $1m owed in salary for the season. I don't think it would take much to move his contract after the bonus is paid.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Once Meyers bonus is paid July 1st what point is there in retaining 50%? You're only freeing up $3m cap for a replacement. For a budget team he's a pretty good deal after the bonus is paid. $6m cap hit to stay above the floor and only $1m owed in salary for the season. I don't think it would take much to move his contract after the bonus is paid.

Agreed.  

6 minutes ago, Baggins said:

He has a 10 team NTC.  His side probably figured that out too and would expect that they will have the teams needing help to reach the floor on his no trade list.  

There are ways to by-pass the NTC like putting him on waivers and having a deal in place where the team on his NTC agrees to pick him up but that's not going to be popular with agents.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

He has a 10 team NTC.  His side probably figured that out too and would expect that they will have the teams needing help to reach the floor on his no trade list.  

There are ways to by-pass the NTC like putting him on waivers and having a deal in place where the team on his NTC agrees to pick him up but that's not going to be popular with agents.

I think Myers is going to be playing for a contract. We'll be seeing a lot more effort, which generally happens on a contract year. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

As long as its not too much weight and the extra weight doesnt slow him down. In todays NHL with the speed, in many cases it is better to be strong and wiry rather than big and bulky. 

5 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Good signing. Its important we dont let the D we develop walk for nothing like we did with Chatfield 

Agree.  With him under contract, he can be added to a deal with a team that needs him.

Until then, he gets time to prove himself but I doubt we're looking at a long-term Vancouver (i.e. NHL) Canuck.

10 hours ago, Baggins said:

It's all about splitting the cap hit.  Not the actual salary

11 hours ago, winthecup said:

As long as its not too much weight and the extra weight doesnt slow him down. In todays NHL with the speed, in many cases it is better to be strong and wiry rather than big and bulky. 

I don't think 10 pounds will hold him back speed wise. He's not Huggy like. We need positional sound players to be able to protect and retrieve the puck in our zone. I think Tocc likes the stronger types. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't think 10 pounds will hold him back speed wise. He's not Huggy like. We need positional sound players to be able to protect and retrieve the puck in our zone. I think Tocc likes the stronger types. 

Agree,  and at his age he should be filling out..

perhaos a trip to the Dr to see if something isnt functioning right..   it’s just as easy to have metabolism problems that keep you light,  as those that keep you heavy..

If I was him , given the physical nature and anaerobic nature of the sport ,  I’d talk to the Dr about all options / and ideas.

It’s his livelihood now,.  And his health is everything.

• Cheers 2