The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Aidan McDonough to two year contract

Odd.

3 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I think many will be sadly disappointed when they see how slow he is. He should hopefully get a game or two in before the seasons out and you'll see for yourself.    If he works on his skating over the next couple of years he might be able to try out for the team at a later date.  In the meantime and aside from getting a short stint, I fully expect he'll be headed straight to the farm team.

McDonough mentioned in his interview on 650 yesterday that he knew we had a fantastic skating coach (Braid) and was excited to work with her. He also mentioned Jack Rathbone is his best friend and he had talked about how good it was here for development as an overall player. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There has been zero mention of Brock being affected by COVID.  It's been almost 3 years, I'm sure we would have heard something by now.  His wrist I can guarantee you is bothering him.  He doesn't have the same release he did a few years ago.  If you watch old video it would be the first thing you notice.  So, if that is the case then Brock may never be the same goal scorer again.

It looks like he is trying to re-invent his game and be more of a playmaker.  There is nothing wrong with that, but in order to do that he has to lose the weight and get faster.  Tocchet mentioned that he needs to get in quicker on the forecheck and into the corners.  He needs more speed in order to do that.  Without that extra gear he won't be able to be that puck retrieval guy who can make plays either.  So we will see what he does this summer.

As for the grieving, I won't get into that anymore, I've said my piece on that and it brings back bad memories for me too...

Ok man. I am on the positive side on this one and you're on the negative. Neither of us know what the next season will be. You don't "magically" have the answers, but you sure sound like you do.

All I mentioned was that I believe that he'll be better next offseason. You seem to know that he'll be the same next season. :rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I said this a long time ago, if anyone thinks this season would be water off the ducks back for Boeser, they are dead wrong. This is the first season without his dad. First game in Minnesota without his dad…His first thanksgiving without his dad, first Christmas, birthday, new years, dads birthday, Easter, Fathers day etc etc…. These are allll the emotional hills he has to climb this year. Ontop of that he’s expected to perform, rumoured to be traded, The team is struggling, his wrist isnt 100%, he’s deep in the dashes…. This kid is going through hell, but hes persevering. Hes puttn up .74ppg. He’s on the verge of surpassing last years totals in fewer games. Hes only 7pts back from the 2020-21 season where he was our MVP. I’m proud of Brock and how he’s handled the last 2 seasons, im proud hes still able to perform and I feel it in my gut, when he breaks free from the emotional trauma and stress of not having his dad around… He is going to come up big and be that guy we need when we need him most.

Yes, and the one poster here that equates his grieving with Boeser's, minus the back and wrist injuries, is rather egotistical here.

We all see that Boeser has declined, but the opinions of his decline can differ from person to person. I do believe he'll know what to do in the offseason when he finds the right person to train with.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True, I can relate 100%.  But for me and alot of other people I know what happens is that you go into survival mode, which means you start to take care of the people around you.  As the son, you are now the father figure in the family and need to take care of mom.  That's how I got through it.  Brock needs to understand this.  If he needs help, then he should get it.  I did.  Therapy worked wonders for me and just talking about it with others.

Anyways, I wish Brock all the best with that.  At the end of the day, he is a professional athlete and if he needs some help, he shouldn't be afraid to ask for it...

I don't understand why you insist on putting your ego into this. You're not Brock Boeser, nor are you Elias Pettersson. Everyone has a different way of grieving. It's not right or wrong.

You keep comparing yourself with Boeser's situation, but really, you have no better idea of what he's going through than me. Did you injure your back? Did you injure your wrist? Stop pretending you know how someone is feeling. That's my issue with your posts here.

I get it that you doubt Brock. I perfectly understand why you say this. But I also think there's a chance that Brock will do better next season. Apparently him doing better is 'magical' :rolleyes:

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I knew it was a bad trade, and it was. I never claimed I Nostradamus'd his career. Lol.

It was a bad trade AFTER the fact, not when it happened. At the time, he was just a 5th round pick with promising stats. A lot of players are like that and never amounted much later.

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There has been zero mention of Brock being affected by COVID.  It's been almost 3 years, I'm sure we would have heard something by now.  His wrist I can guarantee you is bothering him.  He doesn't have the same release he did a few years ago.  If you watch old video it would be the first thing you notice.  So, if that is the case then Brock may never be the same goal scorer again.

It looks like he is trying to re-invent his game and be more of a playmaker.  There is nothing wrong with that, but in order to do that he has to lose the weight and get faster.  Tocchet mentioned that he needs to get in quicker on the forecheck and into the corners.  He needs more speed in order to do that.  Without that extra gear he won't be able to be that puck retrieval guy who can make plays either.  So we will see what he does this summer.

As for the grieving, I won't get into that anymore, I've said my piece on that and it brings back bad memories for me too...

Exactly! Brock is 20 pounds heavier than when he was at his best. I think he can become an even better player than before if he committed to fitness and got down to 190. 

• Like 2
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Exactly! Brock is 20 pounds heavier than when he was at his best. I think he can become an even better player than before if he committed to fitness and got down to 190. 

Fitness versus body type.  I have no doubt that he’s physically fit, you could argue that he might be too bulky.  Upper body is probably too big but some of that might be his natural frame or he adds muscle mass faster than most.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Fitness versus body type.  I have no doubt that he’s physically fit, you could argue that he might be too bulky.  Upper body is probably too big but some of that might be his natural frame or he adds muscle mass faster than most.  

Good point. Brock needs to lean down. No more “da Beauty League” for his summer training. Head to Gary Roberts. 

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Like I said, you seem to be of the belief that he will magically change his offseason habits, lose weight and get faster.  Cause those are the two things he needs to do at minimum if he wants to salvage his NHL career.

I understand he lost his father at a young age.  Alot of us have gone through that.  I lost my dad in my 20's as well, so I know the exact feeling and can relate.  It sucks.  But life moves on.  My mom was always there for me and I know Brock is close with the rest of his family.

At the end of the day, he is a professional athlete who is earning close to $7 million.  The Canucks gave him this money thinking he would repay them with goals.  So far, Brock hasn't lived up to his end of the bargain.  So, the criticism is fair and deserved up to this point.

We will see what happens this summer and if Tocchet can actually get to him and change his offseason training so he can come back in the best shape of his life ready to be a 25-30 goal scorer again...

regardless of whether he gets back to his former self, we really can't afford him and he is one of the wingers that we need to consider trading to clear cap.  Also, one of this team's goals is to get faster.  BB unfortunately does not fit that goal.  Hope he does well for the rest of the season to make it an easier trade.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

regardless of whether he gets back to his former self, we really can't afford him and he is one of the wingers that we need to consider trading to clear cap.  Also, one of this team's goals is to get faster.  BB unfortunately does not fit that goal.  Hope he does well for the rest of the season to make it an easier trade.

We can fully dumperoo Garland. (5mil) buyout OEL (7 mil) and trade Myers after his bonus (6 mil)

That’s 18 mil off the cap for next season. We replace their minutes with Hogs

(1 mil) Wolanin (1 mil) and Hronek (4 mil)

That’s 12 mil cleared for next season. We can keep Brock, who is a good top six guy. He is good on the boards too, so is effective in a heavier role. 

• RoughGame 1

11 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Jonah had a whale full.  Mouthful?

A whale of a story?! 

Screw it. I’m too tired to make waves. 

Vlad's whale wore the whole white veil very well

My old Russian g/f (an English teacher) said that this tongue twister was so hard for Russian kids to get the 'v's and 'w's right

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We can fully dumperoo Garland. (5mil) buyout OEL (7 mil) and trade Myers after his bonus (6 mil)

That’s 18 mil off the cap for next season. We replace their minutes with Hogs

(1 mil) Wolanin (1 mil) and Hronek (4 mil)

That’s 12 mil cleared for next season. We can keep Brock, who is a good top six guy. He is good on the boards too, so is effective in a heavier role. 

dont get me wrong.  I like Brock but I think trading him to clear cap is more palatable than buying out OEL.  Plus we have glut of contracts in the wing position.

Myers is easy to trade because most likely a team that would want him needs the cap cost to reach the cap floor at only 1 million real dollars.  They can also flip him at the next TDL for a pick.  May have to convince him to waive if the team is on his NTC list though.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

It was a bad trade AFTER the fact, not when it happened. At the time, he was just a 5th round pick with promising stats. A lot of players are like that and never amounted much later.

I didn't like the trade AT the time. Nor after the fact. This is literally a thread circle jerking a 7th rounder, we also are doing it in that Russian D thread. It does not matter when you're drafted if you have promising potential. I liked Forsling's potential and so far he's exceeded what I thought. 

With regards to Gaudette, I wonder if AM’s role as a pure winger helps his likelihood to stick in the NHL vs Gaudette’s boom or bust role as a top 6 centre. 

Gaudette had a fairly promising 10 goal - 30 point season but for whatever reason couldn’t build on it.  Never seemed the type suited for the bottom 6. AM seems to have a few other characteristics that could land him in the bottom 6 with some scoring pop - but likely never has Gaudette’s ceiling.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

I said this a long time ago, if anyone thinks this season would be water off the ducks back for Boeser, they are dead wrong. This is the first season without his dad. First game in Minnesota without his dad…His first thanksgiving without his dad, first Christmas, birthday, new years, dads birthday, Easter, Fathers day etc etc…. These are allll the emotional hills he has to climb this year. Ontop of that he’s expected to perform, rumoured to be traded, The team is struggling, his wrist isnt 100%, he’s deep in the dashes…. This kid is going through hell, but hes persevering. Hes puttn up .74ppg. He’s on the verge of surpassing last years totals in fewer games. Hes only 7pts back from the 2020-21 season where he was our MVP. I’m proud of Brock and how he’s handled the last 2 seasons, im proud hes still able to perform and I feel it in my gut, when he breaks free from the emotional trauma and stress of not having his dad around… He is going to come up big and be that guy we need when we need him most.

Those are great points you bring up that should help in his upcoming trade and avoid us having to maintain any salary retention.

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I didn't like the trade AT the time. Nor after the fact. This is literally a thread circle jerking a 7th rounder, we also are doing it in that Russian D thread. It does not matter when you're drafted if you have promising potential. I liked Forsling's potential and so far he's exceeded what I thought. 

Yes, but you're assessing the trade based on the actual result of the player, which has ended up looking worse and worse with time. However, had Forsling busted (as do many 5th round picks), the assessment would be completely different. Clendenning had been an AHL superstar. Who was to say he'd be a bust?

There was nothing to suggest at the time of the trade that Forsling would end up being Benning's worst trade. Let's be honest here.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 1