The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Tuesday March 14 2023 - Vancouver Canucks vs Dallas Stars - 7pm PT/10pm ET - Vancouver

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

12 minutes ago, BPA said:

I think Canucks would be close.  

But it also needs a better D core than what we have at the start of the season.  That was an area that everybody knew Canucks needed to improve upon during the summer but management failed.

We need our owner to make up for his mistake taking on OEL’s contract in the first place and cut the cheque for the buyout. Hughes and Hronek will carry our top two pairs. Use the money saved from OEL to bring in a good partner Hronek. Hughes will carry whomever he plays with. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

God I hope not, I'll be disappointed if we fall down to 10th overall. 

Still hopeful for 8th overall Praying The Office GIF

Yeah we're gunning hard for 10 now. We are focused, it just takes us 55 or so games to get the feel of it. :lol:

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That's just it.  

People talk about a rebuild like a magic pill that you take and then automatically become a Stanley Cup contender.  

The odds of a failed rebuild are never taken into consideration. 

Asking for a rebuild also absolves you of any chance of criticism. There has never been anyone that's asked for a rebuild and had to answer for it. Zero expectations come with the rebuild and end up being a safe space for fans and media members. 

I'm on Team Tank for the remainder of the year, but we should absolutely aim for playoffs next year. 

Our first rebuild failed. Here we go for try two, how long until it becomes the third iteration? I'll give these guys another 2 to 4 years ... we'll see how long Aquaman keeps them around. 

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah we're gunning hard for 10 now. We are focused, it just takes us 55 or so games to get the feel of it. :lol:

Our first rebuild failed. Here we go for try two, how long until it becomes the third iteration? I'll give these guys another 2 to 4 years ... we'll see how long Aquaman keeps them around. 

We aren’t rebuilding though. We have a core (very young and very good) in place. I guess a fan could say adding Hronek was a rebuilding move. He will anchor our second pairing for 5-8 years and that could be considered a key core piece. IMHAO Management is retooling the supporting cast. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We aren’t rebuilding though. We have a core (very young and very good) in place. I guess a fan could say adding Hronek was a rebuilding move. He will anchor our second pairing for 5-8 years and that could be considered a key core piece. IMHAO Management is retooling the supporting cast. 

I would temper your expectations on Hronek.  We don’t know how well he will work with the Canucks “structure”.  Let’s see how he plays first.

Schmidt looked promising until he wasn’t.

OEL looked promising until he wasn’t.

Hamonic looked promising until he wasn’t.

Etc.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Oh yeah I meant our second retool. Our first one didn't work. We've got a short 2 to 4 years until we're onto a 3rd retool. Personally I don't care what labels people make up each team is different. I would have done a more aggressive retool and traded Miller too, and probably not signed Mikeyhev, while adding through the draft. Oh well, this way is definitely more exciting in the short term. So there is that, Hopefully we get better results quick or maybe they do go the full rebuild method next time. Probably not though.

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, Don Taylor, who is one of the leaders of the tank brigade, asked the owner of the Dallas Stars, Tom Gagliardi, if he would ever consider a full rebuild at some point.  Tom said no.  He said if you allow your team to hit rock bottom and strip it down to zero, there is always a chance you will never get back up and you will stay at the bottom.  He pointed to Buffalo as an example.  

Of course, Taylor had to eat his words afterwards and hasn't brought up the subject again.  Too funny...

There is also the logic behind it. In order to do a full rebuild, you have to trade everyone. So we are going to trade Petey, Hughes, and Demko in order to hopefully re draft a Petey, Hughes, and Demko? In what world does that make any sense at all?

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

19 minutes ago, AfterMath35 said:

There is also the logic behind it. In order to do a full rebuild, you have to trade everyone. So we are going to trade Petey, Hughes, and Demko in order to hopefully re draft a Petey, Hughes, and Demko? In what world does that make any sense at all?

In the EA Sports NHL world where you can just start the game over and fast forward through seasons in seconds. 

32 minutes ago, AfterMath35 said:

Not sure where “full rebuild” means trading your young stars.  

I usually interpret that to mean trading your veterans for youth and build through the draft.

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

Not sure where “full rebuild” means trading your young stars.  

I usually interpret that to mean trading your veterans for youth and build through the draft.

But the point is that our young stars have said they don't want a rebuild so they'd likely move on.

UGH BUT I'M JUST CRANKY/IGNORE ME. Had to turn down tickets to tonight's game...was at work and my phone was dead/left my charger at home and so couldn't transfer them over. Wasn't sure I'd have time to come home, charge my phone and then make it.

A little piece of my heart gets slammed off every time I have to miss a game I have an opportunity to go to. It's nearly debilitating. Especially seeing that it's a special birthday game.

Oh well, I think I'll survive. TBD

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1