The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Moving our 2023-1st at the draft (Proposal)

Ok, so IMHO we just are not that far from having a team that is playoff bound, BUT! I think we need to look at moving our 2023-1st to be ready, for next year...........here is how I see it play out.

If our 2023-1st round pick is in the 8th  or 9th spot, I would propose the following trade.............

Vancouver trades: 2023-1st (8th OA), Brock Boeser and Lekkerimaki

Carolina trades: 2023 - 1st (26th to 28th OA), Kotkaniemi, and Morrow

Now, on the surface, this looks like an overpayment for Vancouver, but the truth of the matter is we are in need of Kotkaniemi and Morrow, now. They fit out age grouping, and will be around for awhile (7 to 10 years). They are also, top to mid type players, with Kotkaniemi already scoring at a 50 point level, and Morrow, is ready to step in. Carolina will not like to give up on them, but the 8th OA, could be a 1st line player, which Kotkaniemi is not. (He does have 2nd line potential) Morrow will be 21 near the start of next season, and has shown to be ready. Again, Morrow will hurt to give up, but Boeser will help them immediately, which will help them with their next years playoff drive. Lekkerimaki is still considered a blue chip prospect, but it is the 8th OA pick that gives them another potential elite winger, which they are short on. The Carolina 1st, which is late, will allow us to still pick a decent prospect. Think Bonk/Brzustewicz/Strabak/Allen

This is a win - win for both franchises, and gives both franchises the ability to improve, immediately.

The question I ask you is, does Kotkaniemi and Morrow make us better now? I say they do!. 

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Cheers 1

What about trading with Nashville?

1st 2023 + Garland + 4th 2023

for

1st 2023 (should be around 15-16th pick) + 2nd (PIT pick) + Foote + Fabbro

NASH moves up for a better 1st and gets a decent middle 6 winger and a 4th.

VAN moves down, gets a 2nd rd pick, gets 2 RHD and gains cap space.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I'd do it, and doubt we'd need to swap firsts, but maybe give them Rathbone instead if we've seemingly given up on him? I think there's a trade to be made with Carolina, they're without Svech now and should have traded for a forward, and will learn their lesson.

I'd be happy with a straight swap Boeser for KK.

To get Morrow, we could throw them Lekker (although I think his value is pretty low at the moment) or Rathbone. Hoglander comes to mind but I'd rather not give up on him just yet, whereas I don't see Rathbone breaking in any time soon.

In any case, with either our 1st (Reinbacher) or theirs (Dragicevic, Bonk, Strbak), we draft another top defenceman and suddenly we've got much better balance on the team and down the pipeline. Sign a UFA LD like Graves for 5M and we're good to go.

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko 

Beauvilier - Miller - Garland

Hoglander - KK - Podkolzin

Joshua - Aman - PDG

Graves - Hronek

Hughes - Bear/Livingstone

OEL - Morrow

• Cheers 1

@BPA @DownUndaCanuck

Hey, Guys, thanks for playing!

I am open to other ideas, and more married to my premise, which I believe, is a way, we move forward, get our needed pieces, and still draft a developing piece. I thought my adding our 1st was steep, and a over payment......I just did not know by how much.

I can say this, though..............I really like Kotkaniemi, who is a fast, and aggressive player, who produces and has upside..........and as Miller ages out, might just be a great replacement for him, if he takes another step. If he does not, he still is a perfect 3rd line center, who would be around for a long time. I think he is a perfect fit, and which is why he might be hard to pry out of Carolina. (Hence the overpayment in part)

Morrow, is a great add, 6'2" 195 lbs, has a great offensive game, and knows how to play defense. IMO, I think he is another piece that would be hard to get out of Carolina, but would be worth it, if possible. IMO, he is a 2/3 type player when fully developed.

Carolina's 2023-1st should be around the 26 to 28 mark, which could get you that big defensive RHD that we are looking at in Reinbacher (albeit, maybe not quite the upside)....there are, as mentioned 3 or 4 RHD prospects that are in the late 1st/early 2nd area, which as stated, I like.

Can we get them? Can we get them cheaper? Can we make a better trade, using the same premise? I do not know? Just an idea!

How do your idea's match up to this? Are they better, more realistic? I am not sure???? Just as good, that is for sure!

Again, thanks for playing!

• Cheers 1

Not sure if this is on the table.    But maybe the ghost of JB is still haunting the office, and we try yet again to clear cap and plug holes...OEL/Garland sure didn't work out as planned.    

Edit:   Who knows maybe this one works like Miller did though...If they can trade some players, and plug the final spots (3C and top four D) ...  team could turn things around quickly.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 6:48 PM, J.I.A.H.N said:

Ok, so IMHO we just are not that far from having a team that is playoff bound, BUT! I think we need to look at moving our 2023-1st to be ready, for next year...........here is how I see it play out.

If our 2023-1st round pick is in the 8th  or 9th spot, I would propose the following trade.............

Vancouver trades: 2023-1st (8th OA), Brock Boeser and Lekkerimaki

Carolina trades: 2023 - 1st (26th to 28th OA), Kotkaniemi, and Morrow

Now, on the surface, this looks like an overpayment for Vancouver, but the truth of the matter is we are in need of Kotkaniemi and Morrow, now. They fit out age grouping, and will be around for awhile (7 to 10 years). They are also, top to mid type players, with Kotkaniemi already scoring at a 50 point level, and Morrow, is ready to step in. Carolina will not like to give up on them, but the 8th OA, could be a 1st line player, which Kotkaniemi is not. (He does have 2nd line potential) Morrow will be 21 near the start of next season, and has shown to be ready. Again, Morrow will hurt to give up, but Boeser will help them immediately, which will help them with their next years playoff drive. Lekkerimaki is still considered a blue chip prospect, but it is the 8th OA pick that gives them another potential elite winger, which they are short on. The Carolina 1st, which is late, will allow us to still pick a decent prospect. Think Bonk/Brzustewicz/Strabak/Allen

This is a win - win for both franchises, and gives both franchises the ability to improve, immediately.

The question I ask you is, does Kotkaniemi and Morrow make us better now? I say they do!. 

Good thing you aren't a GM. Trading 8th overall in this draft and Likker for Kotakaniemi who has negative value and a big contract. That's even worst than Benning trading for OEL

The player selected with that pick should be contributing on an ELC in 2 years, when Pettersson and Hronek are on their next deals. Not worth downgrading the pick to a player that may not make the show at all.

Also, don’t get the obsession with Kotkaniemi. Morrow looks like a stud, but doesn’t he have the option to test UFA?

Would prefer to keep the 8th OA pick, Boeser and Lekerremaki. 

Boeser will return to from next season with a hardworked offseason. 

Lekerremaki is gifted hockey player who had a string of bad luck and needs patience to see if any strides can be made next year. 

8th OA could be Reinbacher, ASP or one of Benson or Smith. 

Would prefer to trade Myers, Pearson, Garland and Beauvillier next season. 

Myers for a 3rd on Sept 16

Pearson for futures

Garland for 2nd and a 3rd at the draft

Beauvillier at the deadline for 1st+ (if he keeps up his play and production)

Sign Graves or Gavrikov in the offseason if possible

Pray that Kravtsov and Raty develop into top end role players

A few more tweaks in the 2024 off season to land a top 4 defenseman (lots of talented FA defenseman available in 2024)

Kuzmenko Pettersson Mikhayev

Hoglander Miller Boeser

Kravtsov Raty Podkolzin

McDonough Aman Joshua

Hughes    ASP/Reinbacher

Hanifin/Skej/Necas  Hronek 

Hirose  Johansson/Kudraytsev 

Demko

Silovs

We are a non-playoff team that will finish worse than last year despite adding an almost 40g scorer and getting career years out of our 2 best players. 
‘This is a team that needs to be focused on draft pics and this proposal is just so wrong minded that it may be exactly the sort of thing we are looking to do. 
‘I have been saying for sometime that a first rounder will get moved this year for cap purposes but think they will gamble next years because like everyone here that believes coaching bumps are sustainable, management will bet on us being better.  That and if we aren’t a playoff team next year their jobs will be on the line. 
‘A decade of this kind of short-sighted management continues on. 
‘We may be a borderline playoff team next year and that seems the ultimate goal, not a cup contender. 

On 4/5/2023 at 9:00 AM, DefCon1 said:

Good thing you aren't a GM. Trading 8th overall in this draft and Likker for Kotakaniemi who has negative value and a big contract. That's even worst than Benning trading for OEL

It's easy to pick apart a proposal if you don't include all the pieces.  Kotkaniemi is only 22yrs and already a decent

3C, who can play well at both ends of the ice.  He's a big kid and will continue to develop for a few years.

Scott Morrow (19) is a promising young RD, who is in his 2nd yr of NCAA.  He is also a big kid.

Kotk is already an established NHLer and Morrow will likely be playing in the NHL before Lekker + 8oa pick.

The Carolina pick could be in line for Ritchie (C) or Dragicevic (RD).  Both prospects have great skills.

The only way I would do this trade, is making sure the Canuck 8oa is lotto protected.

With the direction management has went it’s not a bad idea at all. I was thinking along the same lines especially if Columbus wins bedard. I would consider trading our pick to Columbus so they can draft bedard best friend cristtal. 
to Columbus

our first, garland, hoglander 

to Vancouver

Top 4 rhd peeke , La first (about 24th) and Columbus 2nd round(about 34)

then I would try and trade with Arizona

to coyotes

La first , lekkerimaki and ratbone 

Vancouver gets

Barret Hayton and jusso valemaki 

a top 6 22 year old Center and top 4 lhd 

i realize we have to get rid of some contracts but this is part fantasy so I’ll guess they figured some stuff out

Kuzmenko petey mikahyev

Miller Hayton beuviler

podz raty kravtz

Joshua aman pdg

Hughes peeke

valemaki hronek 

then take your pick for last pair d. I’m not opposed to bring Schen back for a 2 year deal. Realize you have to have some weakness to get cap compliant. But I think in a couple years together this group could be very good. Hayton is going to be a beast in a couple years. And with Columbus second we picked up draft Oliver Bonk .

Apparently CBJ are considering trading their 1st for a defenceman. Surely it's Bedard-protected, but I guess they really want a D man to sort their pathetic team out. They'd trade Fantilli or Carlsson for a defenceman so it must be a star...

Hughes for the 2nd overall?