The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

IIHF bans Russia and Belarus for 2023-24 season

Rate this topic

33 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Not too mention their fans can't handle themselves even under normal circumstances when they travel to these tournaments.  The host city doesn't deserve the havoc that would occur.

Not to mention...might what you just said about Russian hockey fans not meet your own definition of bigotry?

Edited by Kevin Biestra

11 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Not to mention...might what you just said about Russian hockey fans not meet your own definition of bigotry?

Going off personal experiences at WJHC's in multiple countries. Any time a situation was about to get out of hand, the Russians were involved.  The tension is now orders of magnitude higher and alcohol will be a factor.  Doesn't matter if a Canadian, Czech, or Russian fan starts it once things really get going.

I don't like this. Is this somehow supposed to influence Putin? or cause a backlash against Putin from the citizens? give me a break.

all this does is punish the innocent citizens, who play and enjoy the sport.

Leave the Politics to the governments

24 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Going off personal experiences at WJHC's in multiple countries. Any time a situation was about to get out of hand, the Russians were involved.  The tension is now orders of magnitude higher and alcohol will be a factor.  Doesn't matter if a Canadian, Czech, or Russian fan starts it once things really get going.

of course they have been. name a more vilified country than Russia that plays in the WJHC. i'm sure they get more than their fair share of insults thrown their way.

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

Thing is, you may feel that the players are innocent/not involved or in support of what's taking place. But neither are the Ukrainian children who are being bombed in their homes.

I fully agree with it. 

And I'm sad that some pay the price and have to sit out but there's something more important taking place. People are needlessly dying (being executed is how I see it). Any action to try to stop that is supported by me.

In world war 1 Russia and Germany put forth a cease fire and killed a huge group of wolves who were killing the injured. Some humanity might do the russians some good, in fact i know it will. 

Pit one army against any other in the world and not one is more evil or innocent.

The Russian army and its families are suffering too. yes Ukraine is suffering more, but thats not the point. Russia is not the United states, it does not have major profits due to war.

Its economy has shrunk by 12%. the rich aristocats will be fine, but the citizens not so much.

You think you would be different than any other citizen? Leading Psychologist's says no. and as gruesome as it sounds and as unbelievable as it is may be, many agree that if we were born in Nazi Germany we would also be Nazi's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

At this point the Russians dont need anything they can feel national pride over. As much as I hate mixing sports and politics its the right move. Nobody wants a bunch of annoying Russians coming to their host town spewing pro war crap either. 

Huh? Players aren't politicians. You could easily punish them by not letting them take part of any media outlet like interviews etc... and refuse to play their anthem at the end of the game. The olympics also created an "olympic" team, which could be done for the IIHF as well... there's so many other options. You think Putin gives a rat's behind that these U20 players can't play? The only people affected are the players.

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Huh? Players aren't politicians. You could easily punish them by not letting them take part of any media outlet like interviews etc... and refuse to play their anthem at the end of the game. The olympics also created an "olympic" team, which could be done for the IIHF as well... there's so many other options. You think Putin gives a rat's behind that these U20 players can't play? The only people affected are the players.

All watching participants in peaceful entertainment as the competitions represent, the players represent countries and the world should show this isnt acceptable. therefore the people affected would be the entire world that wants peace. 

2 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

All watching participants in peaceful entertainment as the competitions represent, the players represent countries and the world should show this isnt acceptable. therefore the people affected would be the entire world that wants peace. 

Then create a IIHF team of players that come from any sanctioned country. Like I said, the players aren't part of the problem, they're mostly victims of circumstance. 

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Any chance that Michkov drops as a result of this?

This probably doesn’t help his cause but I think he was already going to because of his contract situation - similar to Podkolzin a few years ago. 

• Cheers 1

this puts zero pressure on putin/military leaders, but it might further alienate the ordinary Russian civilians, fueling this "us against them" rhetoric. I'm not saying I'm surprised though, it's just that I don't think it helps or achieves anything positive.

27 minutes ago, Rubik said:

this puts zero pressure on putin/military leaders, but it might further alienate the ordinary Russian civilians, fueling this "us against them" rhetoric. I'm not saying I'm surprised though, it's just that I don't think it helps or achieves anything positive.

I don't agree. It attacks his ego. You saw how he went all out in Sochi. Besides you can either be a spectator. Or have even a symbolic impact on what he's doing is wrong.

Yes it sucks it hurts the athletes. But maybe protesting might also save lives of Russian youth being sent into the Ukraine into a meat grinder.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

They could apply a bit more pressure and say that Russia and Belarus can't compete until Russia pulls out of Ukraine.

No need. It's already implied. In fact, it will trigger more thinking. People will think, so why are we banned? Oh because we are ruled by .... 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Rubik said:

Most Russians are already brainwashed by Putin.

• There it is 2

2 hours ago, Cup_Joneser said:

In world war 1 Russia and Germany put forth a cease fire and killed a huge group of wolves who were killing the injured. Some humanity might do the russians some good, in fact i know it will. 

Pit one army against any other in the world and not one is more evil or innocent.

The Russian army and its families are suffering too. yes Ukraine is suffering more, but thats not the point. Russia is not the United states, it does not have major profits due to war.

Its economy has shrunk by 12%. the rich aristocats will be fine, but the citizens not so much.

You think you would be different than any other citizen? Leading Psychologist's says no. and as gruesome as it sounds and as unbelievable as it is may be, many agree that if we were born in Nazi Germany we would also be Nazi's.

Russia illegally invaded and butchered women and children in the most heinous ways imaginable. 

Ukraine didn’t ask for this war and are defending their country, people and right to exist. 

Yes, this is a case of good vs ‘evil’. Not letting the Russians play hockey at an international event is the bare minimum that ought to happen to it nationally as a consequence.

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

100% correct decision......i know the players are not at fault but i would 100% support a ban of all russian and belarusian players in the NHL as well. 

I can't see this happening.  The NHL is more interested in making $ than standing by principles; unless, of course,

if they can make money by supporting causes that are popular among the fans.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Cup_Joneser said:

I don't like this. Is this somehow supposed to influence Putin? or cause a backlash against Putin from the citizens? give me a break.

all this does is punish the innocent citizens, who play and enjoy the sport.

Leave the Politics to the governments

It doesn’t matter if it influences Putin or not. And by the way, if raping and kidnapping toddlers doesn’t make him think twice, then nothing will. 

The Russian govt is given power by its peoples. If they’d rather die by the hundreds of thousands to perpetuate Putin’s war, then as many could overthrow him if they wanted to. 

Politics are policies enacted by a leader on behalf of their people. There’s plenty of people in Russia that could and can still change the leader and the policies he enacts on behalf of them. 

Till then, boo-hoo, about not being included in international sporting events. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I can't see this happening.  The NHL is more interested in making $ than standing by principles; unless, of course,

if they can make money by supporting causes that are popular among the fans.

Capitalists more often than not are willing to turn a blind eye until it affects their bottom line or positions of power, then they’re outraged dammit…OUTRAGED!! ;)