The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Mar. 28, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

I don't get it what it is with this team playing superb hockey when it doesn't count (exceptions of course) and getting points but man do I sure hope we stay in that top 11 bracket with a shot at top 3. I'd be so pissed if we end up picking 13-14..Same old dog and pony show.

.....................and they'll start the season with injuries and tons of losses.   Rinse & repeat !  Same thing for over a decade...........................and counting!

• There it is 1

59 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

3 games 4 nights... First 4 games as a canuck getting used to his teammates and 6 weeks off with injury.  A little to soon to have a concrete assessment yet maybe?

He also ignored 2 years of documented data of Hronek's time in Detroit and how he was deployed there. His assessment is as concrete to him as i think it will ever be. All we apparently have in Hronek is a bum that's going to be -15 because of management. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

I don't get it what it is with this team playing superb hockey when it doesn't count (exceptions of course) and getting points but man do I sure hope we stay in that top 11 bracket with a shot at top 3. I'd be so pissed if we end up picking 13-14..Same old dog and pony show.

We started off the season with;

injured Demko

injured OEL

injured dermott

injured Mikheyev

locker room issues

coaching issues

management issues

I don't know how often I have to say this but... it's not a coincidence that Bo gets shipped out, Demko comes back healthy, and we start winning hockey games... The coaching change has also helped quite a bit, since we finally have a system in place.

We were a far superior team on paper than what our first 60 games showed.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

He also ignored 2 years of documented data of Hronek's time in Detroit and how he was deployed there. His assessment is as concrete to him as i think it will ever be. All we apparently have in Hronek is a bum that's going to be -15 because of management. 

I sure hope HornWreck pans out because we gave away "The House" for this guy rather than get two badly needed and incredibly high draft picks in a deep generational draft year!

JR has taken a huge gamble throwing away those 2 golden draft picks for this guy.  He better be the second coming of Christ (of defensemen)!

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I sure hope HornWreck pans out because we gave away "The House" for this guy rather than get two badly needed and incredibly high draft picks in a deep generational draft year!

JR has taken a huge gamble throwing away those 2 golden draft picks for this guy.  He better be the second coming of Christ (of defensemen)!

I'll give a 20th OA pick for a minute eating 2D that's a righty any day of the week.

4 hours ago, Muttley said:

Same. One season of being a plus 8 does not a good player make. Anyone that's been around the Canucks for a long time now knows we've been lacking the #1, RHD

first liner for a long time now. Hronek is doubtfully going to be that guy. 4.4 per is a lot of scratch for this guy upon first impressions.

The 4.4 is whatever. His next contract along with the trade compensation is what scares me. Hate to be that guy but I watch a lot of Detroit games because of where I live, this version of hronek is exactly who I thought were were getting. (Not alfs futer HOF dman that he made up in his hallucinogenic ridden brain) 

Which is why I hated the trade from the get go. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This was IMO the best game I think I've ever seen him play. Absolutely dominant. Caught on one 2 on 1 defensively (but that was really Petey's guy who scored) but an absolute monster on offence, probably deserved to have a couple of assists as well.

He's right there in the Norris discussion since Tocchet took over, he's second in points and has a hefty +/- compared to Karlsson, I think you have to consider him. More points than anyone else, far more minutes per night than Hamilton. I think he might be close. Karlsson will probably win it for his offence but look at his trash defending...

44 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

He had a bad game, but was paired with Brisebois who was terrible for the most part. Hronek is not elite like Hughes, we can't just plop an AHLer next to him an expect him to do well.

No surprise, we play Hughes with Myers for a lot of the night and he has his best game in ages. Hronek needs a solid LD. Let's see what Hirose can do but really I'd be gunning hard for Graves or Gavrikov...

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Your namesake is fitting.... 4 games in 3 nights after a 3 week injury layoff and your ready to 'burn him at the stake'.  PTSD anyone?  fire crowd GIF by South Park

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Karlsson will win by a landslide, he has 69 even strength points.. that's almost double hughes..

i honestly don't even think Hughes will be a finalist.. he needs to be like karlsson heads and shoulder above others offensively to even have a chance to be a finalist imo.. others are putting up similar clips but are far more impressive defensively compared to hughes. Morrissey hamilton dahlin they are doing it at both ends of the rink while putting up the points. everyone is like double hughes in block shots/hits combined and some of them are putting up higher pts/60 than hughes is. sergarhev is even more impressive.. he's putting up good numbers but damn the amount of hits and block shot is impressive. he more than triple Hughes.

while Hughes defensive play this season is solid but he doesn't stand out defensively like some of the other guys on the list. and not really the go to guy for tough defensive situation.

Here is a good betting link to the top 10 Norris Contenders Hughes has really climbed fast the last little bit.

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/nhl/norris-trophy-odds/

2 hours ago, Lewlowned said:

I totally agree.
For the past few seasons Burroughs has really been a legit character guy.
Throws his weight around and defends teammates.
We can always use more players like that.

have to wonder what's going on behind the scenes there. he has consistently passed the eye test with flying colours since he got here, but 3 different coaches haven't seen him as a regular. there has to be a reason we can't see. 

2 hours ago, Canuck You said:

When else?  Just last year, no?  And that wasn't down the stretch, that was from December on

Edited by stawns

2 hours ago, Canuck You said:

I'd consider #3 overall a HUGE win.

Grab Michkov and thank the hockey gods on the way off the draft floor! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, stawns said:

When else?  Just last year, no?  And that wasn't down the stretch, that was from December on

Mandela effect. People seem to forget we've picked (or would have picked) top 10 every single season except for 2015, 2020 and 2022 since 2014... that's only 3 of the last 9 drafts we've been out of the top 10, and 2 of those seasons we made the playoffs, last year we were oh so close and absolutely dominating the last 2/3rds of the season...

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi