The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Mar. 28, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I honestly don't know what Allvin is smoking.  His agent should be looking for at least a 2 x 2 for Burroughs and the Canucks should be jumping on it. He is a bargain now at 750,000.  He may be a fighter, and hit beast, but he also has soft hands with the puck. He doesn't panic, no chaos. I find it difficult in any game to see him make any glaring mistake. I just think he's a solid hard working tough defender who sees the ice very well. Isn't that all you want for a 3rd pairing D?

Burroughs is probably better off to wait until after July 1.  There could be a market for him as a tough RHD.  He could get a 2-3 year deal at $1.5 million...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

They also consider the team they are on, San Jose is a total tire fire.   Leading man Couture... has how many goals?   Lidstrom was gifted his last Norris as a minus player, on a much better team.    He's having a year for the ages ... pretty sure he wins.   69 Even strength points versus 39.     QHs likely is the runner up, but would be a pleasant surprise if he won.   Hamilton likely the other finalist.    -27 versus -16 to -11.   That's quite the range for their D's.     Hertl is like a minis 30 lol.   Actually half their top six is.    Pretty clear they get scored on a lot less when EKs line is on the ice.    QHs is super impressive too, considering we aren't a player team, not so terrible either kind of no man's land before the real suck starts. 

Hard for a guy to have a good plus minus when the goaltending sucks as enthusiastically as the beloved Reimer, Martin and various and sundry others. Injured Demko was no screaming hell either. 

I think if you factor out all the empty net goals against, Karlson’s +\- is not too shabby.

8 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Demko was awful and Hronek seems to be getting worse every game he plays. Doesn't exactly bode well.

Wouldn't put too much into it just now. He is trying to fit in and find chemistry with the others. 

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

They also consider the team they are on, San Jose is a total tire fire.   Leading man Couture... has how many goals?   Lidstrom was gifted his last Norris as a minus player, on a much better team.    He's having a year for the ages ... pretty sure he wins.   69 Even strength points versus 39.     QHs likely is the runner up, but would be a pleasant surprise if he won.   Hamilton likely the other finalist.    -27 versus -16 to -11.   That's quite the range for their D's.     Hertl is like a minis 30 lol.   Actually half their top six is.    Pretty clear they get scored on a lot less when EKs line is on the ice.    QHs is super impressive too, considering we aren't a player team, not so terrible either kind of no man's land before the real suck starts. 

Yeah Karlsson has literally 30 more points than the next guy in his team in scoring.  Don't know if a defenseman has ever led his team in scoring by a margin like that.  Orr is the only one that theoretically could have in league history.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Odd. said:

I am not going to lie, Hronek was terrible today, our worst defenseman. Brisebois was okay other than that giveaway that lead to the goal.

Hronek struggled last game against Chicago too after having a strong first 2 games with us against the Stars and the Sharks.

Would like to see more from Hronek.

Yeah I feel he's gone from average to bad since returning from injury. I'll withhold judgment until next year, but this is the player I thought we were getting. I wasn't a fan of this trade at all.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Unless Erik Karlsson is like 15-20 points up on the next guy, I don't think he wins it

The Norris is getting stupid and it just seems to go to the Dman with the most points. They need to set some parameters with this award. Karlsson is junk in his own end.

• Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, rekker said:

The Norris is getting stupid and it just seems to go to the Dman with the most points. They need to set some parameters with this award. Karlsson is junk in his own end.

Orr Trophy for the best defenceman judged by the players. Norris Trophy for most points by a defenceman?

• Cheers 2

50 minutes ago, rekker said:

Josi was well ahead with points last year and nearly got to 100. He didn’t win. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Canucks need more contribution offensively beyond Pettersson, Miller, Hughes, Kuzmenko, and Boeser.

Guys like Boeser, Beauvillier have to be more consistent to generating offense and putting points on the board. Need to start seeing results from Kravtsov, Studnicka, and Podkolzin if they want to be on the roster next season. Need that secondary scoring to kick in to take the pressure off the main 5 above.

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

In the 69-year history of the Norris trophy, only 6 defencemen have ever won it who were a minus player.  The last Dman to win it with a minus was Nick Lidstrom with a -2 in 2011.  Before that was Rob Blake with a -3 in 1998.  Before that was Rod Langway with a -2 in 1983.  Before that was Randy Carlyle with a -16 in 1981.  Randy Carlyle's -16 was by far the worst +/- of any Dman who has ever won the Norris trophy.

Fun fact.  Bobby Orr was a +124 when he won it in 1971.  Larry Robinson was a +120 when he won it in 1977.  

Unless Erik Karlsson is like 15-20 points up on the next guy, I don't think he wins it.  To be honest, I am not sure how Randy Carlyle won it in 1981.  He beat out Denis Potvin, Larry Robinson and Ray Bourque.  Denis Potvin was robbed really.  He only had 7 less points than Carlyle, but was a +39 and his team just came off of a Stanley Cup victory the year prior and were the favourites again in 1981.  Crazy...

the fact he have like over 30 more points even strength than the next closest defenceman alone he wins it... if SJ have any offensive players remaining with talents and have a respectable powerplay.. we are talking about top 5 in scoring.. prior to last night.. he have as much even strength points than QH does in total points.. he's only behind connor mcdavid for the most even strength points which is crazy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Canucks need more contribution offensively beyond Pettersson, Miller, Hughes, Kuzmenko, and Boeser.

Guys like Boeser, Beauvillier have to be more consistent to generating offense and putting points on the board. Need to start seeing results from Kravtsov, Studnicka, and Podkolzin if they want to be on the roster next season. Need that secondary scoring to kick in to take the pressure off the main 5 above.

That is what a lack of depth does. EP and QH consistently drive play, the others are mostly passengers. JTM has been driving play more second half of season. 
‘Most NHL players are streaky, that is normal. 
‘The kind of players that can score consistently in the NHL are called superstars and almost always come from the high end of the draft that we have tried so hard to avoid for last decade. 

11 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

the fact he have like over 30 more points even strength than the next closest defenceman alone he wins it... if SJ have any offensive players remaining with talents and have a respectable powerplay.. we are talking about top 5 in scoring.. prior to last night.. he have as much even strength points than QH does in total points.. he's only behind connor mcdavid for the most even strength points which is crazy.

And Karlsson is a huge minus. He cheats the game for offence. Hopefully the voters don't make him the Norris winner. 

8 hours ago, Odd. said:

I am not going to lie, Hronek was terrible today, our worst defenseman. Brisebois was okay other than that giveaway that lead to the goal.

Hronek struggled last game against Chicago too after having a strong first 2 games with us against the Stars and the Sharks.

Would like to see more from Hronek.

i honestly wonder if hronek will be happy in vancouver and even consider signing long term here or just take his qualifying offer and look to leave.. my reason being Hronek is used to be one of the top pairing guys in detroit and play on their top powerplay along with their top lines more often than not.. powerplay is where he got 50% of his points.  he ain't getting a sniff on that pp1 as long as hughes is here.. OEL was a pp1 guy in arizona and he didn't even get a sniff last year.. hronek ain't gonna get a sniff here. his even strength production have never been spectacular as a top pairing in detroit now that he's a 2nd pairing guy with more defensive role the production will probably drop further.. him getting only 20-25 points next season is not completely out of the ball park.. the amount he would get paid for being a 20-25 point guy vs a 40-50 point guy is going to be massive. ever since the departure of edler.. the next highest scoring defenceman have always hovered around the 20 points.. don't think that's a coincident with the arrival of hughes getting every prime offensive opportunity and i don't see that changing.

7 hours ago, kilgore said:

I honestly don't know what Allvin is smoking.  His agent should be looking for at least a 2 x 2 for Burroughs and the Canucks should be jumping on it. He is a bargain now at 750,000.  He may be a fighter, and hit beast, but he also has soft hands with the puck. He doesn't panic, no chaos. I find it difficult in any game to see him make any glaring mistake. I just think he's a solid hard working tough defender who sees the ice very well. Isn't that all you want for a 3rd pairing D?

Gross. Love the guy but he's a 7/8 D and those don't make over a million on a well-run team. 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i honestly wonder if hronek will be happy in vancouver and even consider signing long term here or just take his qualifying offer and look to leave.. my reason being Hronek is used to be one of the top pairing guys in detroit and play on their top powerplay along with their top lines more often than not.. powerplay is where he got 50% of his points.  he ain't getting a sniff on that pp1 as long as hughes is here.. OEL was a pp1 guy in arizona and he didn't even get a sniff last year.. hronek ain't gonna get a sniff here. his even strength production have never been spectacular as a top pairing in detroit now that he's a 2nd pairing guy with more defensive role the production will probably drop further.. him getting only 20-25 points next season is not completely out of the ball park.. the amount he would get paid for being a 20-25 point guy vs a 40-50 point guy is going to be massive. ever since the departure of edler.. the next highest scoring defenceman have always hovered around the 20 points.. don't think that's a coincident with the arrival of hughes getting every prime offensive opportunity and i don't see that changing.

His role in Vancouver with Hughes on the team is practically identical to where he was with Seider on Detroit...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And Karlsson is a huge minus. He cheats the game for offence. Hopefully the voters don't make him the Norris winner. 

you act like his team isn't bad.. the fact that he's only -16 on that team when his forwards are even worse speaks a lot.. meier is -28 hertl is -19 couture is -22 while being on the 4th worse goals differential team in the league

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

you act like his team isn't bad.. the fact that he's only -16 on that team when his forwards are even worse speaks a lot.. meier is -28 hertl is -19 couture is -22 while being on the 4th worse goals differential team in the league

I don't care who wins the Norris, just so long as it's not EK. Hopefully the voters choose someone else.