The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Akito Hirose

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Hirose is pretty much the same age as Hronek. They will be our second pairing next season.  
We must buyout OEL and use part off that cap savings to sign a UFA to partner with Hughes. Heck, make a trade and get Tanev back! 
Hughes, UFA/Tanev

Hirose, Hronek 

Wilanin, Myers

Buroughs. 

Woo or Boner for Tanev. 

Tanev’s ship has sailed. Often injured and getting on in age. Hirose may be our 3rd LD if we can dump OEL, then see if he can play higher. He’s been a real gift. If we can snag an RHD to play with Hughes who is big and stay-at-home and dump Myers and OEL we are looking pretty good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Hirose has been a very good find for our group as he brings good skating, strong hockey IQ, and he has some swagger which is also a good thing as it shows the confidence he has to play at this level.  I agree that he may very well find himself at the NHL level next year from what he has shown and a pairing with Hronek may be a really nice fit.  He adds to Hughes, Hronek and even OEL from a puck moving and possession perspective, so we may need to complement that with some snarl.

If we remove Gavrikov from the equation since he is likely to be overpaid (He still may be a good option based on our needs) and go with some lower cost options in Tryamkin (To play RD mostly) and Schenn we add some protection to the primary puck movers.  I would be pretty happy with the following lineup (Including moving out Myers) to start the year with a lot of depth in Abbotsford as we deal with injuries:

Hughes Tryamkin

Hirose Hronek

OEL Schenn

Gives us pretty good balance overall and a lot of speed from the backend with the exception of Schenn.  If Tryamkin or Hirose don't meet expectations, then we have OEL, Schenn and other depth D (McWard, Juulsen, Brisebois, Burroughs, Wolanin, Woo etc) that can move up the lineup as needed.  Gives us some lower cost contracts to balance out OEL with Petey 2.0 ready to take over from him (OEL) once his contract expires or is movable in 3-4 years.

Many folks here went ballistic when Horvat said the crowds in NY are better than Vancouver (which I’m sure is true). Now you want to bring in Tryamkin who said Vancouver is full of stoners (which is also true and from his media interview back home), and whose wife hated it here, lol. Not gonna happen.

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2023 at 10:48 PM, Canucks Curse said:

Bob - aren't the answers in your Law Blog?

Don't make him lob a law bomb your way! 

On 4/12/2023 at 10:06 AM, Tower102 said:

Drop the buying out OEL. It would be terrible for our cap long term. The same way trading for him was good short term cap wise but terrible long term. You are proposing us sacrificing cap space in our hopefully cup contending window years for non contending years.

Worse, you then propose getting someone like tanev to continue eating up the cap space saved, while keeping Myers.

Myers at 50% retained is the easiest and most palatable way to save cap space to fill out the roster, along with Garland moved out and Pearson on LTIR.

I'd move Beauvillier before Garland.

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I'd move Beauvillier before Garland.

I'm ok with that. If he can garner more trade value from being propped up with Petey and Kuz thats fine, but I do love him on that line and also view him as a lower grade player that will produce as a top 6 simply because of chemistry. 

Top teams end up doing so well because average players that have chemistry with top players, end up producing top of the line numbers. It allows teams to get more production for less cap hit (assuming the player recognizes the situation). Its similar to Burrows. 

• There it is 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Even Garland and Myers can accomplish that, any combo of Brisebois/Hirose/Wolanin can cover the 6/7 spots.

Myers is looking less likely to be moved prior to the TDL. With his bonus being in the air as to whether it can be paid early or not (unless news has recently come out about it that I missed). Also not sure if we can move his entire cap. I feel comfortable saying we can move Garland and Beau's entire caps in an offseason trade. Myers likely only gets moved with retention. Hell, moving all 3 would be super nice. We can replace all of them from within and add a true shutdown defender and a proper 3c.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Myers is looking less likely to be moved prior to the TDL. With his bonus being in the air as to whether it can be paid early or not (unless news has recently come out about it that I missed). Also not sure if we can move his entire cap. I feel comfortable saying we can move Garland and Beau's entire caps in an offseason trade. Myers likely only gets moved with retention. Hell, moving all 3 would be super nice. We can replace all of them from within and add a true shutdown defender and a proper 3c.

Myers bonus is due Sept 1, Cap hit stays the same bonus does not affect that. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Myers bonus is due Sept 1, Cap hit stays the same bonus does not affect that. 

The bonus matters for other teams trading for him though. Which is why it matters that it can't be paid til September. By then teams have their cap situation figured out. Which again, is why I don't think he gets moved til the deadline. It's easier to move Beau and Garland than just moving Myers. Contenders even at 3mil probably don't want Myers, nor do they want to pay his bonus. Bottom feeders hitting the cap want to do it as cheaply as possible. Again, his bonus is very expensive. They can hit the cap floor in cheaper ways.

We can move him over the summer, but it'll cost us assets and not save us meaningful cap. Or we can move him at the deadline for positive value. All in all. We can move Beau and Garland much more easily than Myers and it won't cost us assets.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

The bonus matters for other teams trading for him though. Which is why it matters that it can't be paid til September. By then teams have their cap situation figured out. Which again, is why I don't think he gets moved til the deadline. It's easier to move Beau and Garland than just moving Myers. Contenders even at 3mil probably don't want Myers, nor do they want to pay his bonus. Bottom feeders hitting the cap want to do it as cheaply as possible. Again, his bonus is very expensive. They can hit the cap floor in cheaper ways.

We can move him over the summer, but it'll cost us assets and not save us meaningful cap. Or we can move him at the deadline for positive value. All in all. We can move Beau and Garland much more easily than Myers and it won't cost us assets.

He doesn't have to be moved in the summer moving him anytime after the first is more than fine.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

I think Myers contract is more attractive (after bonus paid) than Beau. 

There is always a premium for position, and a RHD is top of that list.

Myers on a deep dcore, playing 4-6 slot is a good addition. Having him in your top 3, playing big minutes is the issue we have, outside of his contract. 

• Cheers 1