The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Akito Hirose

2 hours ago, coryberg said:

After his bonus is paid teams like San Jose, Anaheim, Arizona, Chicago etc will have ample cap space and would find a player like Myers at 1 million very attractive. They can play him throughout the season, pump his tires and then trade him at the deadline at 50% retention for futures.

Makes absolute sense and if we were in that situation (tanking with cap space) people would be clamoring for us to do the exact same thing.

Possible, but by September who is left to even use that cap space to acquire? If we're not moving him around July, I'd rather just hold onto him and move him at the TDL for an asset for ourselves. Instead of trading him with a 5th rounder in September just for cap space we can't use anyway. It's why I don't really see a Myers trade being feasible when we need it, unless we give up more assets than we should want to. Beau and Garland require no retention to move in June/July and they have no bonus standing in the way. I am pretty sure neither have NTCs either.

All I know is we can move Garland and Beau around the draft/free agency we can free cap to fix our 3C and/or shutdown D issue. Then around the TDL we can move Myers for a 3rd rounder. It's not a case where only one of the three need to go, ideally all three need to go. It's just the order of them leaving that needs working out.

3 hours ago, coryberg said:

After his bonus is paid teams like San Jose, Anaheim, Arizona, Chicago etc will have ample cap space and would find a player like Myers at 1 million very attractive.

17 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Possible, but by September who is left to even use that cap space to acquire? If we're not moving him around July, I'd rather just hold onto him and move him at the TDL for an asset for ourselves. Instead of trading him with a 5th rounder in September just for cap space we can't use anyway. It's why I don't really see a Myers trade being feasible when we need it, unless we give up more assets than we should want to. Beau and Garland require no retention to move in June/July and they have no bonus standing in the way. I am pretty sure neither have NTCs either.

All I know is we can move Garland and Beau around the draft/free agency we can free cap to fix our 3C and/or shutdown D issue. Then around the TDL we can move Myers for a 3rd rounder. It's not a case where only one of the three need to go, ideally all three need to go. It's just the order of them leaving that needs working out.

teams like San Jose, Anaheim, Arizona, Chicago etc will have ample cap space

2 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

don't look now but John Marino who went for ty smith -=playing in the Ahl now and a 3rd leads NJ in TOI and SH TOI... at leastJR knew what he was doing when he traded for the guy and signed him in PIT

And it looks like Hirose is as good if not better. Super job by our scouts. 

22 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

don't look now but John Marino who went for ty smith -=playing in the Ahl now and a 3rd leads NJ in TOI and SH TOI... at leastJR knew what he was doing when he traded for the guy and signed him in PIT

Stop twisting that Marino knife...:(

• Cheers 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 4:50 PM, aGENT said:

The same teams that would potentially trade for him sure would. ARZ claims him for free, gets to juice their salary cap vs their actual payroll until the TDL, then retains 50% and gets assets for him. They'd happily add him for free.

A cap floor team would be stupid to not take him for free. 

A serviceable NHL dman that's 1m cash while 6m cap allowing them to hit the cap floor and still getting a potential 2nd or 3rd rounder at the tdl? 

A GM would not be doing his job if he didn't take that for free. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

A serviceable NHL dman that's 1m cash while 6m cap allowing them to hit the cap floor and still getting a potential 2nd or 3rd rounder at the tdl? 

While that might be true for Myers, wouldn’t he have more value to the cap floor team as their tank commander down the stretch than a third rounder at the TDL? 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

While that might be true for Myers, wouldn’t he have more value to the cap floor team as their tank commander down the stretch than a third rounder at the TDL? 

Lol yeah i guess you can do what we did and put him on a pairing with OEL and give them top minutes as our "shutdown" pair. 

• There it is 1

19 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Problem is those “cap floor” teams now possess the most valuable asset in the game: cap space.

why would they use their cap space on Myers, when they could take worse cap dumps and also get back 1sts and 2nds?

For example - cap floor team can choose between:

myers for future considerations 

or 

Monohan AND a 1st for future considerations 

I’m taking Monahan 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Except because the cap has been so flat, there are no teams struggling to get to the floor.  Arizona has almost $20 million in cap used for those big LTIR contracts that aren’t costing them a cent.  Even signing league minimum players to fill the rest of their roster, they will be well above the floor.

No one needs Myers for cap purposes.  For them, they just have to decide what gives them more for their very valuable cap space.  They can take on more LTIR contracts which are free in terms of real dollars and get big sweeteners… or they can take Myers on waivers and not get a sweetener.

I am not sure where the idea Myers could get a high pick at the deadline took on steam, again not impossible… but even a $3 million cap hit is big dollars for an insurance 3rd pairing D who can play (not well) up in the lineup if there are injuries.  Contending teams are capped out and looking for bargains.  Luke Schenn was above him on the roster, cost close to league minimum, played a playoff style of game, and had a lot of Cup experience.  He got a 3rd round pick.

Ot isn’t impossible that they think Myers brings more than the $1 million value they would be paying him and the flexibility to weaponize that $6 million in cap space, but that is a big if.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Problem is those “cap floor” teams now possess the most valuable asset in the game: cap space.

why would they use their cap space on Myers, when they could take worse cap dumps and also get back 1sts and 2nds?

For example - cap floor team can choose between:

myers for future considerations 

or 

Monohan AND a 1st for future considerations 

I’m taking Monahan 

I think a cap floor team can do both but again, cash is a big part of it. 

A cash strapped team like Arizona does not want to pay 6m in cash. If it's for a first rounder maybe. (essentially buying a first round for 6m)

A team like mtl can afford to do that. Monahan was paid 6m to play 25 games this year. 

To a team that doesn't have much cash, spending 1m that represents 6m and having him log big minutes on D while potentially trading that 1m salary at the tdl for a 2nd rounder is very appealing. Total cash expense would 700k ish, you got a guy that played a lot of minutes and then traded that in for a 2nd round pick.