The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Akito Hirose

14 hours ago, HKSR said:

Wonder if there's a fit with Hronek... would be a pretty dynamic 2nd pair.

Tbh as promising as Hirose has looked so far I think we gotta pump the brakes. Imo he’ll start in Abby next year and be one of the first call ups. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

He fumbled the puck a couple times but I'm sure that had to do with nerves. He looks pretty raw. Hirose's game is much more distinguished. 

I agree with this, It looked like nerves to me too.

Hirose though. I think with an AHL year and two off seasons of strength training.

He could be an every day nhler for us potentially.

Thinking of him physically he kinda remind me of John Marino.

If he could get more strength in his skating stride . Since I like the way he skates, I just think if he was a little stronger he'd ba a more powerful skater.

And if he gains 10-15lbs during those offseasons and while strength training he could have a similar pro frame to John marino like 180-185lb just over 6ft and be a really well rounded positional defender with top 4 potential.

Even if he becomes a third pairing staple that can kill penalties it would be a massive FA signing steal.

Really excited about him though. 

We actually have so many LHD I am genuinely interested in:

Rathbone*: Might be the one I am least optimistic about now due to the amount of time hes had to show something, lack of GP due to circumstances and injuries. 

Wolanin

EP2

Hirose

Truscott*: He also can play the right side like Dermott

Kudryavtsev

Jurmo

I know none of them are like Blue Chip prospects. But its a big stable of guys who haave shown things at different stages. And DMEN develop usually in a less projectable way thenfrowards at different rates. The chance all of them above dont become aaa NHL regular I think is low.

My thoughts on each players potential future with canucks:

EP2: I think he will be an NHL player that plays a lot of games for us. Has the style we so desperately need on the back end. Will be a PKer to have behind Hughes at some point.

Hirose: I think he will be at least a bottom pairing guy for us aaa some point and im really excited that he has potential for more. Like his attitude a lot based off this small sample size and how is style, IQ translates very well to winning NHL hockey.

Kudryavtsev: Im super optimistic on him as a player. I do think he will take more time in Abby before he makes the jump. And it could help with contract timing with other players. But I do think hes going to become an NHL player. Whether he ends up being a trade chip or the depth chart allows his progression naturally I think he will become an NHL player to some capacity which would be insane considering his draft position.

Truscott: I can see him taking a long path to the NHL maxing out college years then multiple years in Abby. I do also see him playing his offside if he was to ever crack the canucks roster in the future.

Jurmo: I have a feeling hes going to turn out to be an amazing AHL dman, but it not to fully translate to the NHL and to have an AHL , 7-8 dman journeyman style career.

Rathbone: I dont think hes going to be a regular on our roster ever at this point. The fit just isn't there and his progression isn't trending in a way II can see it working.  It is frustrating though because eI love how he skates and I like his shot. But everything else is kind of puzzling. Maybe he pulls it all together. But he needs to play more and play consistently and really listen to our coaches on what he needs to improve. 

Wolanin: I like this guy a lot. He wowed me last training camp more than anyone, didn't make the team, crushed his time in abby and grew as a player and he showed very well playing for us in a sheltered role and earned another contract. I do think he has solid bottom pairing potential.

Just my opinions on each of them and its a lot of guys, a lot of competition on the Left Side and it will be interesting to see which ones of them do make it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nuck1991 said:

canucks need to get rid of myers and OEL, we need more contract slots. 

Also trading boeser and garland should be a priority. We need a goal scoring Right winger some one like nylander.  

we need a elite Rhd dmen to play with hughes. Hronek i think is better suited Top4 rather than Top 2.

Some one like ekblad would be perfect with hughes.

Why stop there? We need Mcdavid, Crosby, Bedard, Hedman and makar too. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. 

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Unpopular opinion but an OEL buyout is very expensive, and we are much better off having him play at least as well as he did last season. Digging into the analytics the best D pairs this year were Hughs-Bear, Hughes-Myers, OEL-Bear

The worst if I remember correctly was OEL-Schenn, with OEL-Myers also being very bad.

One hypothesis is there is a significant importance in speed and puck-moving ability above all else.

I believe that OEL-Hronek will have a revitalization next season.

That leaves Myers. Hirose fits the same bill, could he also be effective with Myers? 

Wolanin and Juulsen have proven to be solid depth pieces plus Johansson, McWard, Brisebois, Rathbone are other guys who can step in.

Now if we can move Myers we should do it but not worth giving up additional value to do so. I’d run with Hughes-Bear, OEL-Hronek, Hirose-Myers and we will be shocked with how much better our D looks bringing in Hronek and Hirose 

The canucks have used 16th dmen this year, having a bunch of guys who can fit that 7-10 range is needed. It'll be interesting the camp battles next year.

Edited by Hinkil42

Sign him to a 4 year deal at 1.1M per year on a 1 way deal. If he’s in the AHL oh well the cap can burried so doesn’t hurt us. Also it FA’s money not ours. This would give us a ton of upside. Hirose would secure his financial future with 4.4M.  He trades a bit of potential earning for upside. 

even if he’s doesn’t become at top 4 D-Man it doesn’t hurt the Canucks. 

On 4/7/2023 at 3:38 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Bang on, but sadly it's partly Jack's fault too. I've said he deserves a chance but he really sucked at the start of the year and hasn't been lights-out in Abby the way he was last year. Injuries didn't help but here we are with a freebie, arguably stronger version of Rathbone, we have to take it.

I expect a massive battle in training camp between these two. If Hirose is better defensively he deserves the place with Hronek on a very dynamic 2nd pairing. If Jack is strong enough defensively, he brings some great offensive upside so think he slots in with Myers (if we can't get rid of him). 

Sadly if Hirose wins, I think Jack will (and maybe should) be traded, because we've just locked up Wolanin and Brisebois. I know they're mostly AHLers but Wolanin is arguably the best of the bunch there.

I will watch the Calder playoffs with great interest this year. Jack has to shine. 

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Mngmt is def making some big moves to the D this off season. When they have these college FA interviews, the main thing players are looking for is opportunity.

It's clear that there will be some defensive vacancies in Vancouver this off season.

Thank God,  finally.  (Hopefully)

So what's our starting D for next year?

Hughes - Bear

Hirose - Hronek

OEL - Myers

Wolanin - Burroughs

Rathbone - McWard

I really wanted to sign Gavrikov or Graves but Hirose makes that difficult with how well he's played so far, so dare I say this signing makes us worse. The focus shifts back onto finding a partner for Hughes now

25 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hughes - Bear

Hirose - Hronek

OEL - Myers

Wolanin - Burroughs

Rathbone - McWard

I really wanted to sign Gavrikov or Graves but Hirose makes that difficult with how well he's played so far, so dare I say this signing makes us worse. The focus shifts back onto finding a partner for Hughes now

trading Myers seems like a given, as does resigning Bear. 

before any other transactions are completed, I could see Hirose cracking the third pair. He looks good on the kill.

Hughes - Bear

OEL - Hronek

Hirose - Burroughs 

Wolanin - Juulsen 

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hughes - Bear

Hirose - Hronek

OEL - Myers

Wolanin - Burroughs

Rathbone - McWard

I don’t think we are going into next season with zero changes to our D.  Expect 3-4 new Dmen in the lineup on opening night.  We will find a way to clear the cap space. All options are on the table.  

Hughes      Mayfield 

Gavrikov    Hronek

Soucy        Bear

Hirose       Schenn

This is the type of defence that will allow us to play a more physical defensive game and allow our puck movers enough freedom to make plays.  It might be a pipe dream to get all 4 of Gavrikov, Mayfield, Soucy and Schenn, but I would expect us to get at least 2 of them. My bet is on Gavrikov and Schenn. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don’t think we are going into next season with zero changes to our D.  Expect 3-4 new Dmen in the lineup on opening night.  We will find a way to clear the cap space. All options are on the table.  

Hughes      Mayfield 

Gavrikov    Hronek

Soucy        Bear

Hirose       Schenn

This is the type of defence that will allow us to play a more physical defensive game and allow our puck movers enough freedom to make plays.  It might be a pipe dream to get all 4 of Gavrikov, Mayfield, Soucy and Schenn, but I would expect us to get at least 2 of them. My bet is on Gavrikov and Schenn. 

Me for one that  we do need one maybe two more D and a center for the third.  

Get a trade for one,grab one in ufa the other well who knows. 

I hope Johansson is key and can play big minutes 

We should be all means be a playoff team if things go right.

• Cheers 1