The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Akito Hirose

42 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Pretty sure the answer is Goldstar Gavrikov

Hughes Gavrikov

OEL Hronkek

last pairing will be a battle between Hirose, Rathbone, Burroughs, Brisbois, Wolanin... (Is Burroughs the only RD there?) Do we need to bring back Schenn?

Myers will need to get waived if he doesnt lift waive his ntc. Canucks will probably say we are waiving you Sept 15th after your bonus is paid and most likely it'll be a team like Phx or Columbus claiming you.  You can either sit and worry all summer or accept this trade in June and have your family settled by end of summer in the new city.

d signed for next year

Hughes.  Myers

OEL.        Mcward

Wolanin. Hronek

Rathbone  Poolman

Brisebois

Burroughs & Keeper are UFA

Bear, Dermott, Hirose, Woo, Juulsen are RFA

6 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

d signed for next year

Hughes.  Myers

OEL.        Mcward

Wolanin. Hronek

Rathbone  Poolman

Brisebois

Burroughs & Keeper are UFA

Bear, Dermott, Hirose, Woo, Juulsen are RFA

Dermott probably walks, not sure about the UFAs. So that is 13. Plus Andy Carroll and I am sure one or two other younger AHL guys will stick around as well.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Didn’t even clue in that Akito has a brother in the NHL.

Ive heard of Taro but for some reason didn’t make the connection. :lol:

Pearson $1.25M retained and Jack Rathbone for Taro Hirose and Albert Johansson.

Then we can have a Johansson - Johansson pairing and two Hirose 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, The Lock said:

If he's available, sure. However, I'm not holding my breath on that. People seem to think that because we suddenly have a lot of Russians on the team we'd suddenly attract every single Russian out there.

Also, could Myers even be waived if he has a NTC? I haven't looked up his contract, but it might be worth looking up in case he can't even be waived.

Doesn't Gavrikov shoot L like Hughes?

10 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

What the hell?  We signed Hirose to a two-month contract and have to re-sign him again this summer?  Why the hell would we give one-year deals to college prospects?

So we actually need to allocate cap space for him.  He is going to fetch at least $1.0M.  Or are there signing restrictions?

Length of ELC's are based on signing age. We could only sign him to a one year deal.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Young man's looked very good so far in the games he's played. I think he's a keeper. 

Where does he slot in? Second pairing with Hronek? 

Hughes - Bear 

Hirose - Hronek

______ - McWard? Burroughs? 

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Young man's looked very good so far in the games he's played. I think he's a keeper. 

Where does he slot in? Second pairing with Hronek? 

Hughes - Bear 

Hirose - Hronek

______ - McWard? Burroughs? 

I wish Hirose had been able to play with Hronek just to have that look. Next fall that should happen. That pass up the middle last night was a beaut!

Bear isn't a top 4 d-man IMHO. He can play there for injury coverage but not in playoffs. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I wish Hirose had been able to play with Hronek just to have that look. Next fall that should happen. That pass up the middle last night was a beaut!

Bear isn't a top 4 d-man IMHO. He can play there for injury coverage but not in playoffs. 

Yup. Hirose is pretty much the same age as Hronek. They will be our second pairing next season.  
We must buyout OEL and use part off that cap savings to sign a UFA to partner with Hughes. Heck, make a trade and get Tanev back! 
Hughes, UFA/Tanev

Hirose, Hronek 

Wilanin, Myers

Buroughs. 

Woo or Boner for Tanev. 

• Wat 1

8 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

What are the rules for re-signing him?  I see that he can't be offer sheeted.

Same as any 10.2c RFA. Like you said, can't be offer sheeted.

I'd guess he'll get something like a 2 year, near minimum deal.

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Hirose is pretty much the same age as Hronek. They will be our second pairing next season.  
We must buyout OEL and use part off that cap savings to sign a UFA to partner with Hughes. Heck, make a trade and get Tanev back! 
Hughes, UFA/Tanev

Hirose, Hronek 

Wilanin, Myers

Buroughs. 

Woo or Boner for Tanev. 

I like your line up Alf except for Tanev. Last year was the first in his career where he played 82 games. This year he has reverted to his norm at 65. At 33 years old this will only get worse. We need a RD who can develop with the team towards serious contention in 2 years, that isn't Tanev or Bear or Schenn. You wanted to flip Woo to get Tanev. I would play Woo with Hughes before that. I think camp in the fall will find a partner for Hughes. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hughes, UFA/Tanev

Hirose, Hronek 

Wilanin, Myers

Buroughs. 

Woo or Boner for Tanev. 

Drop the buying out OEL. It would be terrible for our cap long term. The same way trading for him was good short term cap wise but terrible long term. You are proposing us sacrificing cap space in our hopefully cup contending window years for non contending years.

Worse, you then propose getting someone like tanev to continue eating up the cap space saved, while keeping Myers.

Myers at 50% retained is the easiest and most palatable way to save cap space to fill out the roster, along with Garland moved out and Pearson on LTIR.

• Cheers 3

Hirose has been a very good find for our group as he brings good skating, strong hockey IQ, and he has some swagger which is also a good thing as it shows the confidence he has to play at this level.  I agree that he may very well find himself at the NHL level next year from what he has shown and a pairing with Hronek may be a really nice fit.  He adds to Hughes, Hronek and even OEL from a puck moving and possession perspective, so we may need to complement that with some snarl.

If we remove Gavrikov from the equation since he is likely to be overpaid (He still may be a good option based on our needs) and go with some lower cost options in Tryamkin (To play RD mostly) and Schenn we add some protection to the primary puck movers.  I would be pretty happy with the following lineup (Including moving out Myers) to start the year with a lot of depth in Abbotsford as we deal with injuries:

Hughes Tryamkin

Hirose Hronek

OEL Schenn

Gives us pretty good balance overall and a lot of speed from the backend with the exception of Schenn.  If Tryamkin or Hirose don't meet expectations, then we have OEL, Schenn and other depth D (McWard, Juulsen, Brisebois, Burroughs, Wolanin, Woo etc) that can move up the lineup as needed.  Gives us some lower cost contracts to balance out OEL with Petey 2.0 ready to take over from him (OEL) once his contract expires or is movable in 3-4 years.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1