The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Akito Hirose

24 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

I think Myers contract is more attractive (after bonus paid) than Beau. 

There is always a premium for position, and a RHD is top of that list.

Myers on a deep dcore, playing 4-6 slot is a good addition. Having him in your top 3, playing big minutes is the issue we have, outside of his contract. 

Yes, but like they said. His bonus is paid in September. By then most teams will have their rosters more or less set. They won't be trading for 3-6mil cap hits in September. And like I said, they aren't gonna want to pay him that bonus. Not without incentive from us. There's a very deliberate reason his agent setup his contract this way. To prevent him from being traded, or at least make it a nightmare.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

The bonus matters for other teams trading for him though. Which is why it matters that it can't be paid til September. By then teams have their cap situation figured out. Which again, is why I don't think he gets moved til the deadline. It's easier to move Beau and Garland than just moving Myers. Contenders even at 3mil probably don't want Myers, nor do they want to pay his bonus. Bottom feeders hitting the cap want to do it as cheaply as possible. Again, his bonus is very expensive. They can hit the cap floor in cheaper ways.

We can move him over the summer, but it'll cost us assets and not save us meaningful cap. Or we can move him at the deadline for positive value. All in all. We can move Beau and Garland much more easily than Myers and it won't cost us assets.

The teams trying to get to the cap floor or with lots of cap room would likely be amenable to a deal in principal being in place before sept 1 and executed shortly after that.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Yes, but like they said. His bonus is paid in September. By then most teams will have their rosters more or less set. They won't be trading for 3-6mil cap hits in September. And like I said, they aren't gonna want to pay him that bonus. Not without incentive from us. There's a very deliberate reason his agent setup his contract this way. To prevent him from being traded, or at least make it a nightmare.

I disagree. I think in a capped out league, teams won't be completely set until the start of the season. I would expect lots of PTO's this summer, and movement on your depth pieces, #5-6 guys. I think Myers at 3 mil to a contending team makes loads of sense. Keep in mind he has a no movement clause, so he isn't going anywhere he doesn't want to go.

10 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

I disagree. I think in a capped out league, teams won't be completely set until the start of the season. I would expect lots of PTO's this summer, and movement on your depth pieces, #5-6 guys. I think Myers at 3 mil to a contending team makes loads of sense. Keep in mind he has a no movement clause, so he isn't going anywhere he doesn't want to go.

Based on capfriendly the last 2 years of the contract are a modified NTC.  Appears to be a 10 team no trade list.  Presumably Myers only way to block a trade might be lost the 10 teams with the most cap space otherwise shouldn’t be too hard to trade even if some modest retention was needed.

• Cheers 1

The bonus matters for other teams trading for him though. Which is why it matters that it can't be paid til September. By then teams have their cap situation figured out. Which again, is why I don't think he gets moved til the deadline. It's easier to move Beau and Garland than just moving Myers. Contenders even at 3mil probably don't want Myers, nor do they want to pay his bonus. Bottom feeders hitting the cap want to do it as cheaply as possible. Again, his bonus is very expensive. They can hit the cap floor in cheaper ways.

We can move him over the summer, but it'll cost us assets and not save us meaningful cap. Or we can move him at the deadline for positive value. All in all. We can move Beau and Garland much more easily than Myers and it won't cost us assets.

After his bonus is paid teams like San Jose, Anaheim, Arizona, Chicago etc will have ample cap space and would find a player like Myers at 1 million very attractive. They can play him throughout the season, pump his tires and then trade him at the deadline at 50% retention for futures.

Makes absolute sense and if we were in that situation (tanking with cap space) people would be clamoring for us to do the exact same thing.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, flat land fish said:

The teams trying to get to the cap floor or with lots of cap room would likely be amenable to a deal in principal being in place before sept 1 and executed shortly after that.

This is our one hope to moving him pre-TDL. A wink-wink, nudge-nudge deal with ARZ or the like, to be completed after his bonus is paid.

1 hour ago, MattWN. said:

10 team NTC.

We can also threaten to waive him, with no choice in where he ends up.

7 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Ain't no team gonna claim that contract for free.

The same teams that would potentially trade for him sure would. ARZ claims him for free, gets to juice their salary cap vs their actual payroll until the TDL, then retains 50% and gets assets for him. They'd happily add him for free.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d try and move Garland first if possible as he has 3 years left on his deal.  We can ride out Beau’s contract until the end of next year worst case scenario. We can even trade him at the deadline for a pick. Beau also has chemistry with Petey. 

Tocchet wants a bigger and harder team to play against. Garland doesn’t fit that profile. If Allvin can move Garland without a sweetener or retention that would be like Manna from heaven. 

Agreed. Beau plays fairly physically on the boards, and throws a decent hit from time to time.  Think he’s stronger than Garly

• There it is 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The same teams that would potentially trade for him sure would. ARZ claims him for free, gets to juice their salary cap vs their actual payroll until the TDL, then retains 50% and gets assets for him. They'd happily add him for free.

7 minutes ago, coryberg said:

You realize there is only 1 season left and the team would only have to pay him 1 million dollars right?

So a team like Arizona would try to get Vancouver to pay up for such a move.  They wouldn't just claim any deadweight contract without asking for something in return.

So we go back to Myers getting traded away, not claimed via waivers.  I think there's a good likelihood Arizona is on that no-trade list.

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d try and move Garland first if possible as he has 3 years left on his deal.  We can ride out Beau’s contract until the end of next year worst case scenario. We can even trade him at the deadline for a pick. Beau also has chemistry with Petey. 

Tocchet wants a bigger and harder team to play against. Garland doesn’t fit that profile. If Allvin can move Garland without a sweetener or retention that would be like Manna from heaven. 

Garland in a hockey trade for a 3C (right shot, good on face offs and PK) would be fantastic. I think that’s what Allvin is looking to do. Accomplishing a full dumperoo of Garland (clearing all his cap) I don’t see as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

So a team like Arizona would try to get Vancouver to pay up for such a move.  They wouldn't just claim any deadweight contract without asking for something in return.

So we go back to Myers getting traded away, not claimed via waivers.  I think there's a good likelihood Arizona is on that no-trade list.

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

After his bonus is paid teams like San Jose, Anaheim, Arizona, Chicago etc will have ample cap space and would find a player like Myers at 1 million very attractive. They can play him throughout the season, pump his tires and then trade him at the deadline at 50% retention for futures.

Makes absolute sense and if we were in that situation (tanking with cap space) people would be clamoring for us to do the exact same thing.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

They are getting something in return. $5m of fake salary cap and an asset they can retain on and get assets for at the TDL for almost no actual cash. 

Ideally it doesn't come down to waiving him and we trade him for a mid-late pick or something. May require retaining and/or taking back other cap in the form of a more useable/better fitting piece.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Garland in a hockey trade for a 3C (right shot, good on face offs and PK) would be fantastic. I think that’s what Allvin is looking to do. Accomplishing a full dumperoo of Garland (clearing all his cap) I don’t see as possible. 

Yeah, I don't see that either.  Best case scenario is we try and trade Garland for a LHD or a 3C with a similar cap hit.  Just move the money around to fill a need position.  Just like we did with BO.  We moved his money to acquire a RHD and had Miller replace BO as the 2C.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They are getting something in return. $5m of fake salary cap and an asset they can retain on and get assets for at the TDL for almost no actual cash. 

Ideally it doesn't come down to waiving him and we trade him for a mid-late pick or something. May require retaining and/or taking back other cap in the form of a more useable/better fitting piece.

Most teams will have their rosters already set by the time Myers bonus is paid on September 15.  Also, he has a 10 team no trade list and most likely the bottom feeding teams with cap space are on it.  Only way to get rid of Myers is with a hockey trade.  Same with Garland and Beau...

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Most teams will have their rosters already set by the time Myers bonus is paid on September 15.  Also, he has a 10 team no trade list and most likely the bottom feeding teams with cap space are on it.  Only way to get rid of Myers is with a hockey trade.  Same with Garland and Beau...

Bruh, try reading the last 10 posts.