The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 02, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

But what if he prices himself out of his team's ability to retain him?  Insta-UFA, baybeeeeeee... :towel:

He's probably going to Anaheim or Chicago.  They are going to have $40-50 million in cap space.  Should be enough to keep Bedard for the full 7 years...   ^_^

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Woah tell us how you really feel haha.

Cannot deny he lead the organization to 5 Division titles in a row, 2 Presidents Trophys, 5 Playoff appearances. Brought in key players for the team during their success in Hamhuis, Samuelsson, Malhotra, even Ehrhoff brought in for nothing. Re-signed Burrows to a sick four year deal with a 2m AAV, re-upped the Sedins and while he kept Luongo a Canuck that was a mega big dollar too long of term contract. GM of the Year award helps his case too I suppose.

He did also bring in the likes of Ballard too so you can't win them all.

Essentially the core was near intact when Gillis came on board, he finished molding the club into one of the best teams we have seen in Vancouver over a what ? 3 season period or so. 

He did not put resources into the prospect pool and had some questionable trades but he was the right GM for this team and nearly pulled off the Cup win which would than have anyone speaking of him only being known as the best GM in Canucks history.

Very true...

Think the biggest issue in all of this, was the reluctance to properly rebuild once the team was done. 
Once the NTCs either vanished or like Burrows and Hansen were close to it, we should have sold off everything and built from the bottom. 

There would have been less anger towards Gillis, if we had been drafting stars 2-3 years earlier. 

After getting Petey and QH that boat has sailed, and now its all about being able to build a team around those two (and Demko). 
Miller goes into that group and so does, hopefully Hronek... Kuz as well as Mika. 

But had Gillis pulled it off, and won the cup, he would have been hailed the best GM in the history of Canucks. 
Owners wouldn't rebuild properly, when Gillis said, they needed to rebuild. That, in hindsight, was a big mistake. 

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Miller came a few years too early… Benning was to full of himself to understand that.

Petey and Hughes had to fill up their costume before we should trade for players like Miller or Hronek.

Now they’re ready and we got an addition like Hronek.

But since Benning handicapped the future with his trades like Miller, Garland, OEL, Myers etc it is pretty hard for PA to go forward.

That is true, but nobody cam deny it was a great pick up by Benning. As you say it came too early. 
However PA had the chance to pull the trigger on Miller last summer, so to blame Benning for PA having Miller and his cap hit is not correct. 
The others though are correct (although Garland isn't really a big issue)... Myers and OEL is though. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Exactly, and the chance of getting a lottery pick difference is like 1%. A lot of losses for a marginally higher chance at getting a top pick.

I don't think the losing is worth it, look how happy and bonded this team was when they were winning. You can't buy that. I'd much rather we win the rest of our games than lose the rest of our games, and the difference being 7th overall compared to 10th overall.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Exactly, and the chance of getting a lottery pick difference is like 1%. A lot of losses for a marginally higher chance at getting a top pick.

I don't think the losing is worth it, look how happy and bonded this team was when they were winning. You can't buy that. I'd much rather we win the rest of our games than lose the rest of our games, and the difference being 7th overall compared to 10th overall.

At this point it really doesn't matter anymore.  This draft is top heavy in talent in the first 4 picks.  We were never gonna finish bottom 4 with our core players.  And the differnence between the 7th and 10th pick is minimal.  There will always be 1-2 teams that reach in the top 10, so at the end of the day we will get a top 7-8 talent regardless in this draft, which could end up being a front line forward or a top pairing Dman in Reinbacher...

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

At this point it really doesn't matter anymore.  This draft is top heavy in talent in the first 4 picks.  We were never gonna finish bottom 4 with our core players.  And the differnence between the 7th and 10th pick is minimal.  There will always be 1-2 teams that reach in the top 10, so at the end of the day we will get a top 7-8 talent regardless in this draft, which could end up being a front line forward or a top pairing Dman in Reinbacher...

If we have a stab at Reinbacher we take him and run and call it a good draft. Miss out on him and it's a bit of a crap shoot - who knows who we'll get. I wonder if this draft will be a lot like the Hughes/Petey drafts - those guys should be re-drafted as top-3 to be honest. There'll be someone who comes out of this draft who falls into the 5-8th overall spot who is lights-out (maybe not as good as the top-4, but still very good) like Benson/Smith etc., but down at 10th overall I doubt there'll be any of these guys left.

The difference is really minimal anyway and then after all that losing, if your scouting isn't great and you pick the wrong guy, you've wasted a heck of a lot of losing (which we've done a couple of seasons in a row before already). I'd rather we bow out of the playoffs in pride while getting back to a respectable 0.500 than nose-diving, getting the 6th overall pick and then (you just know this would happen) the guy who gets picked 7th and 8th overall end up becoming stars over our pick.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Im going to disagree. Miller came at the right time and if anybody F***ed up it was PA by not moving Miller and capitalizing on his value. Where would we be if Horvat was still here? Miller gave us options, keep him and move Bo or vice versa. You need to be deep down the middle. Miller allowed us to move Horvat, add a top 4RHD a prospect AND a top 6 winger. If we didnt have him, we’d trade Bo for the same package and have no legit 2C or we keep him and we’re soft as baby sh*t.

Miller was an appreciating asset that PA did not choose to move and utilize his value for a bigger return than what was initially doled out. 

Keep in mind, JB didnt sign a PKer for nearly 5mil (Mikheyev) Garland ALSO was a valuable trade chip that SHOULD have been moved last TDL or last off-season, seeing how HOGLANDER makes him redundant and is an upgrade on an ELC. I said this at the very start, that Garland should be moved and Hoglander should be on the team, he makes Garland disposable and a much cheaper option that will provide the same if not more.

PA also re-signed Boeser instead of moving him. So don’t go around saying he was handcuffed, he chose not to utilize his assets. Out of Bo, Boeser, Miller and Garland only Bo was moved. He doubled down on Boeser and Miller and believed in Garland. He could have very easily found a suitor for Garland, Boeser and certainly Miller.

JB handed over far more valuable assets than he did anchors and you seem to be one of the ignorant ones who is gaslighting everything OEL and Myers did as shutdown pair last season. Which funny enough they were split up almost all of this season to baby sit and the team struggled when they were a part. Just like how everyone cried about LE, Beagle and Roussel, immediately after they were gone our PK took a HISTORIC nose dive TWO consecutive seasons in a row. It wasnt until the latter half of both seasons that the coaching/structure changes made an impact as well as goaltending sharpened up. 

You honestly sit here and think that if we had a league avg PK in the last 2 seasons, we still wouldnt be a playoff team?? Do you know just how many games we lost JUST because of the PK? Its astounding the number of games the PK cost us the last 2 seasons and poor goaltending.

This team is scoring and that is the hardest thing to do in this league.

Structure and consistent goaltending is all we need. A structure change has gone a long way already, our PK is over 85% since Tocchet and company took over.

So, you are thinking of today when I talk about yesterday. 
Did you even read what I said? 
If I explain a bit then.

Benning talked about a window that would open around circa 23/24.

He himself said that.

Why the heck did he try to speed jump the process getting players to compete?

He had a few years he could tank and let the youngsters grow before putting the big spender pants on.

What Benning went ahead of doing instead of tanking was getting players too old for the core.

The vet players he should have got were the cheap tough ones.

He should only have got players like Schenn, Burroughs to protect the young stars while they having some fun.

Now, when Petey and Hughes are starting to enter their prime years we’re saddled with stupid contracts that make Gillis look like a super duper GM in comparision.

Miller is really good but Benning couldn’t know that he was that good. He probably saw Miller as a Sutter, Beagle etc…

Bad contracts like Ferland, Garland(too small, we can’t have a team full of short players), OEL and Myers that still cripples the team.

We could have got a couple of players more around 5 in the draft. 
Look at the hysteria now when we don’t have time to tank… Benning is the worst GM I ever heard of.

8 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

AHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAH are you kidding???? I think its time for you Gillis nut huggers to accept the fact Gillis sold the future away and realistically had a very small impact overall on the 2010-11 Roster

Hamhuis, Torres, Erhoff, Ballard, Lappierre…… sick moves bud. Signed a guy who wanted to play for his home team. Outside of that, he did nothing special

Gillis had nothing to do with oh idk….

D Sedin

H Sedin

Kesler

Luongo

Schneider

Bieksa

Salo

Edler

Burrows

Hansen

Get out of here with the Gillis crap.

Oh and I’m sure it was easy for JB to navigate 2 expansion drafts while trying to rebuild, a flat cap, a cap recapture penalty courtesy of your boy Gillis. a basically frozen border when it came to trades at the height of the pandemic.
JB didnt lose a single RFA in negotiations through all the hurdles affecting the cap. He was never forced to give up anyone of significant value. McCann had a bad attitude and the suitcase shows that.

Look above…

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, spook007 said:

That is true, but nobody cam deny it was a great pick up by Benning. As you say it came too early. 
However PA had the chance to pull the trigger on Miller last summer, so to blame Benning for PA having Miller and his cap hit is not correct. 
The others though are correct (although Garland isn't really a big issue)... Myers and OEL is though. 

Miller was a great pick up but I don’t believe Benning thought that he would be a PPG player. I truly believe Benning saw him as another slightly better Sutter.

Why should PA pull the trigger on Miller if they saw him as vital going forward? 
It’s hard to replace Miller pointwise so it would be a hazard with draft picks and PA doesn’t strike me as a gambler. A PPG player on the team is worth more than ten draft picks.

He make trades with an upside that make almost every trade a winner at the end.

Compare that with Bennings version going Ferland, OEL, Schmidt…

Garland is an issue.

We have small superstars.

We need bigger players around them.

I wouldn’t bother if the playoffs had same rules regarding penalties but it seems players can play much harder then. And we must have players for the whole season. Not just the regular season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

Miller was a great pick up but I don’t believe Benning thought that he would be a PPG player. I truly believe Benning saw him as another slightly better Sutter.

Why should PA pull the trigger on Miller if they saw him as vital going forward? 
It’s hard to replace Miller pointwise so it would be a hazard with draft picks and PA doesn’t strike me as a gambler. A PPG player on the team is worth more than ten draft picks.

Garland is an issue.

I wouldn’t bother if the playoffs had same rules regarding penalties but it seems players can play much harder then. And we must have players for the whole season. Not just the regular season.

You stated that PAs hands were tied because of Bennings aquisitions... and said it was Miller, Garland, Myers and OEL....

If Miller tied PAs hand, he could have shipped him out last summer. 
I have no issue with Miller playing in Vancouver, but can't have it both ways...

As for what Benning thought, we don't know, unless we are a relative of Mystic Megs...

Maybe Benning was a genius and saw Millers true potential... we don't know. 

I would also like bigger players, hundreds of my posts bear witness to that, but with PA drafting another skinny winger, I don't want to hear any moans about Garland. 
He is in a group of 3 higher paid players, of which at least 1 will be shifted this summer..

Its not a problem. His contract is manageble even if bought out. And to be fair on Garland, I've yet to see him not go into any board battle regardless of, whom is on the other side of the puck. 
However I do agree, I would like more size and grit in our line up. But they cost $ as everyone else, wants them too. 

The elephant in the room is OELs cap hit. Myers have at worst 1 more year to go... lets not make the same mistake again, that we did, when we traded LEs last year for OEL. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

You stated that PAs hands were tied because of Bennings aquisitions... and said it was Miller, Garland, Myers and OEL....

No, I said handicapped the future. It’s more than tying PAs hands.

it is about future draft picks also.

I would also like bigger players, hundreds of my posts bear witness to that, but with PA drafting another skinny winger, I don't want to hear any moans about Garland. 

well, the jury hasn’t said anything yet what Lekkerimäki is about. He is probably a few years away.

But short he is. Hopefully he will get som growth hormone therapy :bigblush:

I have to add that Lekkerimäki had 15 points in six games when Sweden won under 18.

Bedard had only 14 points in 7 games…

I think that speaks for itself.B)

He is in a group of 3 higher paid players, of which at least 1 will be shifted this summer..

Its not a problem. His contract is manageble even if bought out. And to be fair on Garland, I've yet to see him not go into any board battle regardless of, whom is on the other side of the puck. 
However I do agree, I would like more size and grit in our line up. But they cost $ as everyone else, wants them too. 

I really liked Stechers game. He didn’t cave in and managed to score a goal when he was under the heavy pressure in the playoff.

Still he was too short and the other team managed to put us under a lot of pressure from his side.

Again I have to go back in time. The reason why Garlands 5 mill cap hit was wrong and hurt the team is because the window wasn’t open when the trade happened.

Benning should have let the tree amigos stay withe Canucks and then start building the team for the window.

The elephant in the room is OELs cap hit. Myers have at worst 1 more year to go... lets not make the same mistake again, that we did, when we traded LEs last year for OEL. 

Agree, the mistake is already done so we have to get the best out of it.

Edited by Timråfan
  • Cheers 1

On 4/3/2023 at 2:17 AM, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

i was on team rebuild before too... but, first off, i've realized this owner will NEVER rebuild. Period. 

if by the smallest chance he decided to do so, i have very large doubts it would even be conducted properly and be more like a half-a*sed rebuild than anything.

secondly, 

you mention issues about compete level.. but what's the guarantee that the new rebuilt core will be able to compete better than this current group? The only guarantee is that this team does not compete well, and the only thing that that guarantees i# that the players that want to compete: Hughes, Pettersson, Demko, won’t want to stay here if we don’t put a team that does compete around them.

what if they also prove to have faults that we will find frustrating? what if they can't even win and have a "weak mentality"? At least they won’t be this failing collection, at least another group has a chance of being better.

then what? another rebuild again? That is the lesson of great teams, they are constantly rebuilding for the next run - that is what great teams do. Teams that aren’t determined to attempt to advance are guaranteed one thing - they won’t.

i'm not so sure rebuild, rebuild, rebuild is the answer to everything. The alternative is what we have seen in Vancouver since this new owner - the determination to be mediocre. Aiming at mediocrity instead of excellence simply guarantees that you won’t even be mediocre.

Sure, when your core star players become 37,38 years old like the sedins did in 2017 then it's an obvious time for a (proper) rebuild as you literally are forced to do so because your core is retiring. The time to rebuild was immediately after their failure. The Sedins had reached the point where they were never going to be any better, and what they were was not good enough to win. Maybe one more year, but that quick failure should have confirmed it was time to rebuild. Cash in the established assets for the next chance for another run.

Aquilini didn't properly do it when it was seriously needed then either. 

I didn't appreciate the fact that management (really ownership) was saying a rebuild "wouldn't be fair to the sedins" even leading up to their eventual retirement months later. Even then, they refused. The best thing would have been to give the Sedins a chance elsewhere because what was left of the Canucks was not good enough for another run. Another thing was not holding out on a Koestler trade. Yes, he had a limited trade clause, but that does not mean you have to take what is offered. Don’t move him till you get his value in return.

But we actually did kind of rebuild if you think about it in some ways too though. You mean the kind of rebuild where you don’t actually rebuild? 

We didn't do it voluntarily or properly ofc (not under Aquilini's watch) but we just s*cked a*s. Yeah, we achieved mediocrity by trading our high picks for players we didn’t keep, and overpaid for assets that were way past there best before date. 

We picked 5OA in 2016 (fail). Any re-draft would probably have Petey (5OA) at 1st/2nd Overall in 2017 if it wasn't for Makar, and Hughes (7OA) is arguably a top 3, 3OA calibre pick from his own 2018 class. Demko is in his prime age and obviously up and down this year but I'm optimistic he can bounce back next season. Everybody likes to look at first picks, well we wasted Benning’s first first rounders, but good organizations find assets in the later rounds, and on the rare occasion that we found a gem (Forsling) we traded him for nothing.

So to me, that's a 2nd overall pick and a 3rd overall pick, 24/23 year olds now, and (what should be) a young elite goaltender. 

I don't think you should just give up on players not in their prime yet with one being a 100pt player and another 80pt defenceman. Giving up on players is not doing what it takes to put inexpensive players around them that are effective. The best source of them is your own development system - which is one part of the structure needed to develop players. The move to Abby is a good one. Putting in coaches that can develop prospects into players is another.

IMO, it's a matter of restocking the supporting cast (DE-FENCE) and this management is trying to do that by signing young players, near ready/ready to play (ex. hirose). You will not be able to rebuild the D until you get rid of the impediments standing in the way 14+ mil wasted on two old guys who just are not worth anywhere near the cap space they take up. Getting rid of them is part of,,,,,,,,,,,,, rebuild. 

It will take time because of the absolute chaos benning and weisbrod committed, but I think we will eventually get there. 

I believe in this core. That was entirely due to the fact that they did exactly what ownership required of them. The guy who wanted to do it right (Linden) was fired.

But if you don't... honesty you don't really have a choice now with this ownership lol.

7 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

This is why we needed to tank. A short tank. Geebus not even for very long. Keep Demko and Hronek out, limit Quinn's minutes. 

Just subtract one forlorn winning streak. Garbage time games no one will remember. 

Should just have kept Bruce around. The tank was going just fine. 
New coach is always likely to ger average players give it a little extra to keep their jobs. 
And a new coach has to prove himself as well, so he is unlikely to 'throw' games...

It was down to management and owners to keep the tank going this season. 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

AHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAH are you kidding???? I think its time for you Gillis nut huggers to accept the fact Gillis sold the future away and realistically had a very small impact overall on the 2010-11 Roster

Hamhuis, Torres, Erhoff, Ballard, Lappierre…… sick moves bud. Signed a guy who wanted to play for his home team. Outside of that, he did nothing special

Gillis had nothing to do with oh idk….

D Sedin

H Sedin

Kesler

Luongo

Schneider

Bieksa

Salo

Edler

Burrows

Hansen

Get out of here with the Gillis crap.

Oh and I’m sure it was easy for JB to navigate 2 expansion drafts while trying to rebuild, a flat cap, a cap recapture penalty courtesy of your boy Gillis. a basically frozen border when it came to trades at the height of the pandemic.
JB didnt lose a single RFA in negotiations through all the hurdles affecting the cap. He was never forced to give up anyone of significant value. McCann had a bad attitude and the suitcase shows that.

They both sucked.

And now people are taking it out on JR and PA.

They have a huge mess to clean up, I hope these Miller trade rumors are bogus, we are completely f**ked without him. That leaves us with one centre pretty much.

I don't believe it 

Do any of you remember when the rags drafted lafreniere ? They jumped a ton of spots. Anything can happen. I'm on team tank but I think too many people are freaking out over wins and losses. 

Whatever happens, happens.

Mngmt isn't going to not hire their coach when they want cause or potential draft odds.

That's not how you run a business, on chance

This board is brutal so many bugs 

Edited by BlakeQuinnAndEggs
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Should just have kept Bruce around. The tank was going just fine. 
New coach is always likely to ger average players give it a little extra to keep their jobs. 
And a new coach has to prove himself as well, so he is unlikely to 'throw' games...

It was down to management and owners to keep the tank going this season. 

Hate to say it but the BB firing was such bad timing. We could have fired him much sooner, say 20 games into the season, and given us a chance to make a push for the playoffs (and at this rate with Winnipeg struggling and Tocchet on fire, we probably would have snuck in), or we left Bruce go the distance and fire him in the off-season like any respectable team and go after Tocchet early on before anyone else could have swept him up (or get into the coach carrousel and see who else was available). Firing Bruce after like 2/3 of the season was such stupid timing, couldn't have been worse. It would have been better to fire him say now even.

Tank or not, there was no need to fire BB when we did and turns out to be the worst time for everyone. 

If BB was still in charge and our D was still leaky as all heck, we'd be a bottom-5 team for sure. Obviously that's not great, but we could have made the necessary adjustments in the off-season, as well as a great top pick.

The other thing I worry about is that management might think our defence is alright with Demko playing well again and all these AHLers, and they might not go and acquire another top defenceman to fix this leaky team. If we had run it into the ground appropriately with Bruce, it'd be a full fire-sale. Instead I worry we wont see too much turn over this off-season. We still, at the end of the day, have a below 0.500 team and that's with a coaching bump.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • There it is 1

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

This is why we needed to tank. A short tank. Geebus not even for very long. Keep Demko and Hronek out, limit Quinn's minutes. 

Just subtract one forlorn winning streak. Garbage time games no one will remember. 

Exactly! If the players on this roster are so fragile they cannot see the benefit then don't dress them. More likely it is fragile fans who are most worried about it. Whether finishing at #7 or #10 can be viewed as irrelevant but it is a lottery. If memory serves the Joulevi was a Canuck drop from #3 to #5. Again there is no guarantees on the quality of the pick as that is up to the scouts and PA. The draft position simply gives them more options which is what it is all about.   

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, spook007 said:

Very true...

Think the biggest issue in all of this, was the reluctance to properly rebuild once the team was done. 
Once the NTCs either vanished or like Burrows and Hansen were close to it, we should have sold off everything and built from the bottom. 

There would have been less anger towards Gillis, if we had been drafting stars 2-3 years earlier. 

After getting Petey and QH that boat has sailed, and now its all about being able to build a team around those two (and Demko). 
Miller goes into that group and so does, hopefully Hronek... Kuz as well as Mika. 

But had Gillis pulled it off, and won the cup, he would have been hailed the best GM in the history of Canucks. 
Owners wouldn't rebuild properly, when Gillis said, they needed to rebuild. That, in hindsight, was a big mistake. 

Gillis got fired because he wanted to rebuild. The timing would have been perfect too as it was right after we got swept by the Sharks in 2013 and before the drafts with Drai, McD, Mathews.

What rebuilding moves Gillis pulled off did end up working out. Like Horvat and Marky.

Ownership is the real issue here. Too impatient.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Timråfan said:

In Sutter's best season he scored 35pts.   JT already had 56 + 59pt season.  Dipped down to 47pts when he

went to TB and was put on the 3rd line.  He had a record of durability as well.  More like the opposite of Sutter.

I doubt anyone thought he'd be a pt a game player, but he would have been considered an offensive 2nd liner.

PA had no intentions of a rebuild, so keeping Miller was a no-brainer.  I agree that he would be extremely hard to

replace; especially after Bo was traded.

Benning should be credited for getting Miller for the Canucks.  I believe Ferland would have been a good player

for our team, but for the concussions.  Schmidt was a decent player, but a bad fit for the Canucks.  The OEL

trade will probably go down as one of the worst trades in Canuck history (unless he starts playing like he did

last season).

Garland is an issue.

Actually, I find Garland to be incredibly durable for a small player.  I like his game a lot, but he's not a good fit

for the Canucks for the very reason you have pointed out.  He will likely be traded before next season.

• Like 1