The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames, 7PM PST (10PM EST) Saturday April 8, 2023, Rogers Arena ... Tame the Flame Game

Rate this topic

Rocket-68

Will The Canucks Make the Playoffs Next Year?  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Rocket-68 changed the title to [GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames, 7PM PST (10PM EST) Saturday April 8, 2023, Rogers Arena ... Tame the Flame Game

Wow straight 50:50 on the poll to this point. 
Would love to send Calgary home out of the playoffs. 
Don’t think we can move OEL or Myers this year and without that don’t think this is a playoff team next year, think they will be in the hunt for WC and Demko could get us there if healthy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((:angry::mad:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgqu0GVAWpe33NM-ZWYAo        giphy.webp      Northern Army Preservation Society of Canada                      So Maybe a wild card for us hey? ***** One and out, no Doubt, We'll wait!  

*************************  

Uncanny how much that looks like Hughes taking down Anastasiou ::D

• Haha 3

I don’t know if the Canucks will make the playoffs next year. 

A few things need to happen:

1. Acquire a reliable backup goaltender.

2. Move Myers after his bonus is paid and replace him with Schenn or an equally cheap and reliable depth defenceman. I have enough confidence in Hughes, Hronek, Hirose and the depth defencemen, save for Rathbone.

3. Move 1 or 2 of Boeser, Garland or Beaulivier and guys like Aman, Hoglander, Kravtsov, Podkolzin, Joshua and Dries need to be able to take another step in their development to replace those more expensive players.

4. Draft an NHL ready top 6 forward, preferably a centre who will not only step in right away but be a good contributor.

Having said that, I’m not sure any or all of that will happen, so I’m afraid I have to say no.

Please prove me wrong, Allvin.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Citizen Erased said:

2. Move Myers after his bonus is paid and replace him with Schenn or an equally cheap and reliable depth defenceman. I have enough confidence in Hughes, Hronek, Hirose and the depth defencemen, save for Rathbone.

3. Move 1 or 2 of Boeser, Garland or Beaulivier and guys like Aman, Hoglander, Kravtsov, Podkolzin, Joshua and Dries need to be able to take another step in their development to replace those more expensive players.

4. Draft an NHL ready top 6 forward, preferably a centre who will not only step in right away but be a good contributor.

Having said that, I’m not sure any or all of that will happen, so I’m afraid I have to say no.

The trading Myers after his bonus is paid plan won’t work.

His bonus is not paid out until September. Teams will be done spending and building their rosters then and focusing on training camp.

Unless you wanna pay to dump him to a rebuilding team I don’t see it happening. Earliest Myers moves is the trade deadline most likely.

Boeser might be able to be moved with a little bit of retention. Beauvillier could be moved but why would we? He can likely produce top 6 numbers on an affordable contract.

This is why I’ve been saying a Miller trade will likely be the only option they’re left with.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

His bonus is not paid out until September. Teams will be done spending and building their rosters then and focusing on training camp.

Unless you wanna pay to dump him to a rebuilding team I don’t see it happening. Earliest Myers moves is the trade deadline most likely.

Boeser might be able to be moved with a little bit of retention. Beauvillier could be moved but why would we? He can likely produce top 6 numbers on an affordable contract.

This is why I’ve been saying a Miller trade will likely be the only option they’re left with.

Plus he loves it here and has a 10 team no trade list. Easy for him to block any teams with cap space. Doesn’t need to worry about contenders since they want stability on back end which is really not his game. 
‘I think people are reading too much into Beau after having a short hot streak playing with EP after a trade. That is like everyone assuming a coaching bump carries over into the next season, it just isn’t realistic. Beau is a small overpriced middle six winger who provides some speed and high teens in goals.  Not a great scorer, not terribly physical and somewhat undersized. We have a lot of that already.  Tocchet has already said he doesn’t see much he likes in his game. 
‘Beau, Brock and Garland should all be on the gotta go list. 

Edited by DrJockitch

2 hours ago, Muttley said:

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((:angry::mad:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgqu0GVAWpe33NM-ZWYAo        giphy.webp      Northern Army Preservation Society of Canada                      So Maybe a wild card for us hey? ***** One and out, no Doubt, We'll wait!  

*************************  

5AFB909A-E26E-4B5B-8D5A-65C807A93209.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Citizen Erased said:

Good comments. Here my comments on your comments.

1. I agree  the Canucks will probably acquire a good veteran backup goalie. There is a large supply this summer so it should be not hard to get someone good at a modest price. I like Delia but I think the Canucks can do better.  Silovs might be good enough to back up at the NHL level but,for developmental reasons, he should of course play big minutes in Abby as the #1 guy there unless Demmer gets injured. Martin has shown himself to be what he seemed to be before his hot streak last year: a good AHL journeyman goalie, not a guy you want as your NHL back up.Will be interesting to see where Tolopilo fits in. One possibility is Demmer and a new backup at the NHL level with Silovs and Tolopilo in Abby and Martin loaned to the ECHL and available as a depth backup (which they needed this year).

2. Agree about the D. Important to move Myers after paying his bonus if possible. There are a few teams that would benefit from using his contract to reach the cap floor without paying much actual money. Hope something will work out. You did not mention the OELephant in the room. They might buy him out but I think it is more likely he comes back for one more kick at the can. Hoping for a bounceback year. There was talk about a nagging injury this year that hurt his performance and maybe the coaching staff can help him re-invent his game as Edler did as his age. (After winning the "green jacket" -- worst +/- in the league, Edler came back to have a bunch of good years as a reliable defensive D.)

3. Yeah, the Canucks will have to move one of their high cost/ moderate value wingers. Garland or Beau might get a small return (3rd round pick?) and maybe Boeser has played well enough lately to be tradeable without giving away another asset or retaining much salary.  And we need and can expect development from the young wingers.I would not rule out Bains getting a look at some point.

4. I don't think the Canucks have any chance of drafting an NHL-ready forward., In any year only two or three guys go straight from the draft to the NHL and the Canucks won't get one of those guys unless they win the lottery. Right now the 3C spot is a hole. Dries is not good enough. Aman may grow into that role. Raty might get a look. But getting a 3C in trade or as a low-cost UFA is possible.

Edited by JamesB
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Would love to play spoiler to the Flames playoff hopes.  

Why stop with the Flames - lets hope they can also beat the Kings to hurt their position a bit and then finish strong against the two remaining southern teams on the road trip.  May need Demko to start 3 of the 4, and increase Huggy and Petey's ice time a bit to field the stronger team though. I think a 4-game win streak will provide some hope heading into next fall for the fan base and is a good starting point.

Edited by hockeyfan-observer
c

41 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I really hope Beavillier isn't moved, unless a Godfather type of offer is made. Same with Miller, has to be an offer too good to be true - dumping Miller for cap space is not a good move IMO as there are other moves that could be made to create cap space - won't regurgitate what has already been posted about the "move wingers for cap space".

It's more than just the D-corps that needs to be addressed. We need 2 more centres. A playmaker and a defensive centre. Aman is fine for now. But if this team is to compete either one of the prospects needs to take a massive move forward. Or we need to get some help from overseas.

Then there's the question of moving players to shed cap space.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly. I’ve been fine with his game.

It’s not like he’s giving up egregious turnovers. Maybe he’s missing a couple assignments here or there but enough to get yelled at on the bench?

Last time I checked he’s a big reason we’re winning games lately.

Tough love. I guess if he keeps making the same mistakes it's something that needs to get addressed. He's a very important player at this stage and his buy in is key to our success. Hopefully this is sorted out asap.

Wow, that line-up though. :lol: That's a tank if I ever saw one. 5 players I would definitely want on the team, 6 if you include Demmer and a college free agent is one of them. 

Kuz

Petey

Miller

Hughes

Hirose

Demmer

The rest are kind of whatever as support pieces. We need more.

Beauvillier has been pretty good and plays well with Petey.

Di Guiseppe has been a real solid player and could be a decent bottom 6/fill in player for us. Same with Joshua and Aman, but not all of them playing at once unless on the fourth line. We need some more impactful guys on the third line hopefully filled in UFA, or a prospect would be ideal.

Brock and Garland can go. Studnicka can go. Kravstov could maybe be retained cheaply.

All the D can go not named Hughes, Hronek, Hirose. Re-working the D is going to go along way to determine how next year will go, but we don't need that many pieces. We are pretty set on LD with OEL back, Wolanin, Hirose, and Brisebois. Find the right RD and the team could be entertaining and competitive. It could go from brutal to good pretty quick. Unfortunately we may just be stuck with Myers for one more year as well.

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

All the D can go not named Hughes, Hronek, Hirose. Re-working the D is going to go along way to determine how next year will go, but we don't need that many pieces. We are pretty set on LD with OEL back, Wolanin, Hirose, and Brisebois. Find the right RD and the team could be entertaining and competitive. It could go from brutal to good pretty quick. Unfortunately we may just be stuck with Myers for one more year as well.

I asked a question earlier about going to a team saying "here is $5M and Meyers for <insert adequate return>". Was advised that (1) the bonus is not due until September which complicates a trade in July and (2) NHLPA may have something to say about this.

However, would it be possible to have an "agreement" with a team in July saying "look, let's put a pin in this until September but we will pay his bonus and then you give us <insert adequate return> and we flip you the Chaos Giraffe then" ?