The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 08, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, stawns said:

That would be unfortunate

Yes it would.  I like most of what Tocc has done so far, but he seems like a stubborn guy.  Not playing Kuz for

most of the 3rd (did he play any overtime) is extreme.  Luckily he had the sense to put him into the shootout

so that Kuz could win the game.

10 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Either do I. I think it's more a personality issue.

IMHAO Tocchet loves Kuz’s happy personality. If it was a personality issue why would Tocchet tap Kuz on the shoulder for the shootout?

It’s clearly about Kuz learning to play the right way. 

• Like 2

Just now, Alflives said:

IMHAO Tocchet loves Kuz’s happy personality. If it was a personality issue why would Tocchet tap Kuz on the shoulder for the shootout?

It’s clearly about Kuz learning to play the right way. 

Because he wanted the W.

Just now, higgyfan said:

Yes it would.  I like most of what Tocc has done so far, but he seems like a stubborn guy.  Not playing Kuz for

most of the 3rd (did he play any overtime) is extreme.  Luckily he had the sense to put him into the shootout

Totally wrong. Tocchet knows the elite skill Kuz has. But he also recognizes Kuz needs to play the right way. When Kuz is playing soft it hurts us a lot defensively. Kuz is learning how to play. And he’s going to be a much better player for us because of Tocchet. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I think this is going to be our last year with OEL. If I were management I'd give him next year to figure his shit out. If not, we've already proven he can be easily replaced with a League minimum player. 

If he's bought out after next season we'd be stuck with 6 years of 2m dead cap. I think that's easier to live with than 3 years of 8m dead cap if he place. 

The buyout for this summer 2023 is:

$146,667, $2,346,667, $4,766,667, $4,766,667, $2,126,667, $2,126,667, $2,126,667, $2,126,667

The buyout for next summer 2024 is: 

$2,028,889, $4,448,889, $4,448,889, $1,808,889, $1,808,889, $1,808,889

There is hardly any difference. Next year the cap hit is almost zero so it’s really a 7 year buyout. So the only difference is the extra year at $2.1 million. 

If they are buying out OEL, they are either doing it this summer or they’ll wait and least 2 more years. 

The other option is to try and trade him with retention. He has a NMC which is the reason he can’t be traded or even sent to Abby. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, higgyfan said:

Because he wanted the W.

Nope. Still wrong. 
Just accept we finally have a great coach who knows how to get the most out of each player. 
Maybe try watching Kuz off the puck? He’s a great player, who can play too soft. Tocchet knows this and is learning Kuz up. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The buyout for this summer 2023 is:

$146,667, $2,346,667, $4,766,667, $4,766,667, $2,126,667, $2,126,667, $2,126,667, $2,126,667

The buyout for next summer 2024 is: 

$2,028,889, $4,448,889, $4,448,889, $1,808,889, $1,808,889, $1,808,889

There is hardly any difference. Next year the cap hit is almost zero so it’s really a 7 year buyout. So the only difference is the extra year at $2.1 million. 

If they are buying out OEL, they are either doing it this summer or they’ll wait and least 2 more years. 

The other option is to try and trade him with retention. He has a NMC which is the reason he can’t be traded or even sent to Abby. 

And where does OEL play? Hirose is clearly a lot better. Wooly and Brisbois proved to be better. We buyout OEL and can use the cap to sign a partner for Hughes. Or we end up with OEL eating 7.25 off our cap while eating popcorn in the press box. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Exactly! 

Are you following any of the SHL or Allsvenskan playoffs btw? 

Not so much. I tried to watch as many of Timrås games and I think it’s hilarious that Loui seems to resurect him a bit playing with Johansson in Frölunda.

47 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Enough said. My impression is that RT's success goes beyond his efforts to include Gonchar and Foote. Abby coaching has also provided RT with a steady flow of competent replacements. Group improvement. That said I find Tocchet's straight forward approach pretty refreshing.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Either do I. I think it's more a personality issue.

Thing is, I think it's sort of what teachers do when they see real potential that could be even more. They invest time and put focus on someone who they want to extract more from.

He's teachable and they're trying to get him to be a more complete player. Although...a guy scoring goals really has the most important thing mastered. Except some are set ups by others and he's just nailed it when it comes to timing and being in the right spot.

Beauty of a shoot out goal.

I hope they don't wreck him and do more harm than good. But I do like the message that scoring's not enough on its own...have to prevent goals too. Get in there and battle...every single player.

17 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Way out to lunch here my friend. 

The team has given a decade plus of disappointment - a decade over which the fans have consistently sold out the arena, bought the merchandise, and showed up. Compare our boards to any other team out there - we have the most active forum by far out of any “bottom feeder” team. 

This, all in addition to the fact that our fan base absolutely ROASTED management for their lowball offer to Bo, and how they treated Bruce. Do you not remember all the “Bruce there it is” chants even when we were losing this season? 

Now add the fact that our fan base clearly pointed the finger for disappointment at management and ownership, instead of the players, even though we all know the players we have had did NOT give their best. 

Bo is acting like a petulant child. He was here for most of our disappointing years and failed to lead the team. I can see some other players (like Halak) being pissed at the fans, but we treated him very well. 

so to Bo - hope that felt good to say, but very classless. 

That's your opinion.  Mine is that he's absolutely right and he was horribly disrespected by management and fans alike.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I'm happy hes brought some structure, but he was an absolute scumbag as a player and I expect that hasn't changed a whole lot

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nope. Still wrong. 
Just accept we finally have a great coach who knows how to get the most out of each player. 
Maybe try watching Kuz off the puck? He’s a great player, who can play too soft. Tocchet knows this and is learning Kuz up. 

We'll see how far Tocc goes with this nonsense.  Losing games isn't a bother right now, but sure will be next

season.