The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Not a good recipe, it's just not, this team is destined for more failure.

Rate this topic

Canucks_fo_life

9 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I'm very happy with those pieces.

Now imagine having another potential petey at 925k forn3 years supporting that core? That's what the Tankers wanted. And losing out the last month of the season was all the pain required.

Colorado won their cup with Makar costing 925k. These things matter. And strategically you want to maximize the value of your draft capital and assets.

Makar is a great young player, but he wasn’t nearly so effective until the Avs got Toews to support him defensively. Toews was the key. 
We screwed up bad losing Tanev. He was (still is) the perfect partner for Hughes. Now we’re looking for another Tanev. Stupid Benning :picard:

• Cheers 4

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Makar is a great young player, but he wasn’t nearly so effective until the Avs got Toews to support him defensively. Toews was the key. 
We screwed up bad losing Tanev. He was (still is) the perfect partner for Hughes. Now we’re looking for another Tanev. Stupid Benning :picard:

They both support each other, this is not a normal dman pairing. Here is an interesting read https://coloradohockeynow.com/2023/02/02/film-room-the-magic-of-cale-makar-and-devon-toews/

• Cheers 1

I've firmly been on team tank since thing went off the rails under BB.  I love to watch the team win tho, and stoked for people to celebrate it. Still can't help think its just keeping us on the path to another 10 years of failure in the end.

I also struggle to see how longer-term fans can get excited for this late season winning strea when it's litterally happenend almost every year putting us out of contention of the elite talent into mediocre / higher risk territory and then the following year that form goes out the window and their straight back to stink town while the likes of Toronto, NJD, Coilers etc all cement the key pieces to being cup contenders.

I hope things change this year i really really reallllllly do - but hard to have hope that will happen based on history.

Maybe picking this low might see us trade the pick for some useful pieces that will support the core which does show some really good talent, in the near term as opposed to 3-5 years from now. My god i would have loved to see the home town kid Bedard in a canucks suit tho, kid's a totally beauty and what a good news story it would be after a real crappy run of things for us. 

Look, I want the Canucks to do well, and I’m choosing to be optimistic about next season. Do I think they can make the playoffs? 

Yes.

I have been to many Canucks games in my life, but not a single playoff game. 

Do I think they can win the Stanley cup? Not a f**king chance. And I think that should be the priority, not “making the playoffs and hoping for the best” but “bringing Lord Stanley home”. 

19 hours ago, Canucks_fo_life said:

The Canucks, realistically, are only better than maybe 4 or 5 teams in the league, yet they're gonna pick outside the top 10. Did anyone notice in the last 2 minutes of tonights game, while the Ducks were on a powerplay, they didn't pull their goalie? That's how you get the job done, you know you don't need to win and a loss doesn't hurt you. The Canucks on the other hand, had to scratch and claw while getting bailed out by Demko against a very bad Anaheim team, to win the game. Do you guys see the problem here yet? This organization will always be mediocre until there's a clear direction. A team this bad, should be drafting one of the top 5 players this summer, but they're not, because they got trigger happy by hiring Tocchet, when they probably could have done that in the offseason. If he wasn't available? Who cares? I cannot believe there are people happy about this late season surge and coach bump, none of this matters or helps for next season. Hey lets play Quinn Hughes 27 minutes a night! Start Demko every game! Pathetic

I'll just point out something that was obvious to me. They didn't pull their goalie at the beginning of the penalty because they had the man advantage anyway and the two top shorthanded goal scorers in the league were out on the ice. Being down only one goal they could afford to play safe with the one man advantage for the first minute and still pull the goalie for a two man advantage for the second half of the penalty. To me that seemed rather smart.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

The weird thing is when Tanev was here most wanted him gone - to injury prone, doesn't put up enough points, not worth it. As soon as he walks - oh no, we needed Tanev, we're lost without him. :lol:

The truth is Bear seems to be pretty effective with Hughes and we have Hronek now. Tanev turns 34 next fall. We just don't need him.

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Leave it to CDC to whine about the Canucks decreasing their lottery odds a whopping 2.5% from 6% to 3.5%. 

I don’t think you understand the importance of drafting as high as you can. We could’ve had Zegras in 2019 but we went on a meaningless late season run and dropped down in the draft, missing out on him by 1 spot. We’re just repeating our mistakes again lol

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

11 minutes ago, Baggins said:

The weird thing is when Tanev was here most wanted him gone - to injury prone, doesn't put up enough points, not worth it. As soon as he walks - oh no, we needed Tanev, we're lost without him. :lol:

The truth is Bear seems to be pretty effective with Hughes and we have Hronek now. Tanev turns 34 next fall. We just don't need him.

You are right I remember that people were fed up with Tanev being injury prone. They thought he could he easily replaced with a more durable player. To be fair so did management, they didn't quite value him enough which is why they prioritized OEL and then pivoted to Schmidt when Tanev signed with Calgary. It was only when he was gone that the realization sunk in that Schmidt wasn't a direct replacement for all that Tanev brought to the table. I always vehemently disagreed with that perspective, its not easy to find a RHD with the same skillset as Tanev.

Also funnily enough Tanev has been quite durable in recent years, and even at his age he would still be a top 4 defenseman on this team. That's where I disagree with you, even after adding Hronek we still aren't strong enough at RHD to turn down a player like Tanev. Also I still think he still has a few good years left in him, his game isn't predicated on any physical tools, as long as he doesn't suffer any serious debilitating injuries he will keep chugging on for a few years more. You cannot teach his defensive instincts or his experience. If Ron Hainsey can stick around till he is nearly 40 years old I don't see why Tanev doesn't.

9 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

You’d think the tank weirdos would be happy we dropped from “mediocre middle” 1st round exit predicted in pre season to actually having a shot at 1OA. 

The word "shot" is doing some extremely heavy lifting here. It's a shot yes. But almost 5x less than what the tanking teams have. It'll be divine comedy if Detroit ends up drafting reinbacher.

i also find it just as weird celebrating dunking on tanking teams as a sign of forward progress in October. 

Buying at the TDL while under .500 and doing a coaching bump in the middle of the season is weird.

Being a fan just makes us weird in general. 

Edited by DSVII
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, DSVII said:

The word "shot" is doing some extremely heavy lifting here. It's a shot yes. But almost 5x less than what the tanking teams have. It'll be divine comedy if Detroit ends up drafting reinbacher.

i also find it just as weird celebrating dunking on tanking teams as a sign of forward progress in October. 

Buying at the TDL while under .500 and doing a coaching bump in the middle of the season is weird.

Most models had this team either in the playoffs or right on the cusp.  Tanking was never a plan.  The fact they’re bottom 10 (best 11th) is due to abysmal goaltending and historically bad PK this season.  If you wanted a high draft pick, you’ve already won the lottery based on what should have happened.

• Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, TheSnipeshow91 said:

I don’t think you understand the importance of drafting as high as you can. We could’ve had Zegras in 2019 but we went on a meaningless late season run and dropped down in the draft, missing out on him by 1 spot. We’re just repeating our mistakes again lol

It will matter more how you draft than where you draft unless you are drafting top 5 this year. When you have EP40, Hughes, JT and Demko and rest of players trying to establish their position in next years lineup, we were never going to be a bottom 5 team in the league. If you are trying to say tank it by suppressing our star players and skipping important process of picking out which players will remain and which ones need to go, it could have negative effect for the start of next season. EP40 is playing for his next contract. How would you feel if your employer wanted you to slow down and hurt your score card when you were about to enter into perhaps the most important contract negotiation in your career?  Hughes wants to establish himself as a Norris caliber D men. How would you feel when you knew you were clearly the best D man on the team and the coach was trying to limit your ice time? Demko just came back from the worst injury he’s ever experienced and when he is finally healthy, you see backups getting more action. how would you feel if you were him? All these tanking strategies could have real negative impact.

yes it is could help to move up a spot or two but  it matters more who you draft when you are drafting from a pool of similar type of players. We could’ve had Zegras but at the same time we could’ve also drafted Matt Boldy with our pick.  Most importantly Pods can still develop into better player that Zegras when their careers are spoken for 

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

It’s true - as much as he would have helped it’s pretty clear he didn’t fit our timeline.  

Hughes and Petey are just coming into their primes now.  

• Cheers 2

55 minutes ago, Toews said:

You are right I remember that people were fed up with Tanev being injury prone. They thought he could he easily replaced with a more durable player. To be fair so did management, they didn't quite value him enough which is why they prioritized OEL and then pivoted to Schmidt when Tanev signed with Calgary. It was only when he was gone that the realization sunk in that Schmidt wasn't a direct replacement for all that Tanev brought to the table. I always vehemently disagreed with that perspective, its not easy to find a RHD with the same skillset as Tanev.

Also funnily enough Tanev has been quite durable in recent years, and even at his age he would still be a top 4 defenseman on this team. That's where I disagree with you, even after adding Hronek we still aren't strong enough at RHD to turn down a player like Tanev. Also I still think he still has a few good years left in him, his game isn't predicated on any physical tools, as long as he doesn't suffer any serious debilitating injuries he will keep chugging on for a few years more. You cannot teach his defensive instincts or his experience. If Ron Hainsey can stick around till he is nearly 40 years old I don't see why Tanev doesn't.

I'd rather have Schenn come back and go with Hronek, Bear, and Schenn than have Tanev back. Iwould prefer the physical presence Schenn brings and bear is considerably younger.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

21 hours ago, Canucks_fo_life said:

The Canucks, realistically, are only better than maybe 4 or 5 teams in the league, yet they're gonna pick outside the top 10. Did anyone notice in the last 2 minutes of tonights game, while the Ducks were on a powerplay, they didn't pull their goalie? That's how you get the job done, you know you don't need to win and a loss doesn't hurt you. The Canucks on the other hand, had to scratch and claw while getting bailed out by Demko against a very bad Anaheim team, to win the game. Do you guys see the problem here yet? This organization will always be mediocre until there's a clear direction. A team this bad, should be drafting one of the top 5 players this summer, but they're not, because they got trigger happy by hiring Tocchet, when they probably could have done that in the offseason. If he wasn't available? Who cares? I cannot believe there are people happy about this late season surge and coach bump, none of this matters or helps for next season. Hey lets play Quinn Hughes 27 minutes a night! Start Demko every game! Pathetic

It’s so hard to say what happens, no one thought the Blues could win a cup either at the time. Calgary was going to be challenging Colorado for the division title this year from most hockey views. I kinda lean towards we are a bottom rung playoff team for a few years until they get all this messy cap situation over with and keep stockpiling talent.

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

I'd rather have Schenn come back and go with Hronek, Bear, and Schenn than have Tanev back. Iwould prefer the physical presence Schenn brings and bear is considerably younger.

I agree about Schenn, I am not sold on Bear however. If I had the option I would take Tanev back. 

39 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Power of positivity.

Manifest the first overall

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Toews said:

I agree about Schenn, I am not sold on Bear however. If I had the option I would take Tanev back. 

The thing about Bear is I seriously believe he can be a solution on the third pairing of our defense. But because our D has been so bad, people have hopes and expectations of him that are wildly out of line with what he can actually provide.

13 hours ago, Baggins said:

Wait, moving Horvat wasn't a major piece of surgery? Adding Hronek wasn't a major piece of surgery? They never once mentioned a tanking rebuild. It's not needed and would just waste several more years of Petey, Hughes, and Demko while crossing your fingers picks work out. I expect a couple of more moves in the offseason. JR has until next September to perform more "surgery". I prefer patient and well thought out to idiotic panic moves so you can say, "look I did something". So quit whining already, you're not getting a tear down rebuild. They need to build around the high quality core they have, not tear it down and start over from scratch.

NO and of course they'd never say they're tanking - what a thing to even ask about!  but the term "MAJOR Rebuild" inplies more than moving 1 one top Player out of a 23 man Roster - which doesn't exactly qualify as a "Major Rebuild" for most "NORMAL" people but you might be right about a rebuild wasting years off EP40, QH & Demko's time here because it certainly would take time to rebuild and if they're not willing to stick around - trade them.  All 3 would fetch very high returns towards a proper rebuild but the FACT of the matter is that this same Core you talk about has FAILED for several years and can't even get out of the bottom of the basement and squeek into a playoff spot, let alone are not even close to competing for a cup any time in the distant future and after waiting for years for something - anything - to change, here we are again about to enter yet another 6 month long summer sitting on the sidelines due to the Failure of this SAME CORE who have failed us for several yearsFACT!

While I'd love nothing more to share your optimism, after not seeing a home playoff game in 8 years (only exceeded by two of the worst teams ever - Arizona & Buffalo) I'd say it's time for something different because every year we hear the exact same excuses and promise that ....'It will be in 2-3 more years - hang in there folks" and it gets a bit repetitive after a while and kind of loses it's meaning. This has been going on for 52 Years !!!!

As for your comment about not making panic moves, that doesn't hold much water as Re-signing BB6 and especially Miller on a massive contract until he's almost 40 (ending in the next decade of the 2030's) along with the Still-Man Fiasco and a few other minor yet questionable moves, certainly doesn't garner immense confidence.   But I'll certainly say the Kuzmenko catch was very good but I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to even cash-out on him and trade him in the future as he too could fetch a good return and likely would be too old to weather a rebuild - if they ever went down that road - which doesn't look like will happen..  

As for that new injured/unserviceable Detroit kid goes (that we threw away an extremely valuable 1st AND a 2nd Round draft pick for in one of the deepest draft years in a generation) that will take time to prove him worthy or not, as we only saw him play for 26 seconds (yes - that's an exaggeration), so let's not claim him to be the 2nd coming of Christ - just yet.  Hopefully he proves to be a solid player but lets see him play for 3-4 months and we still need 3-4 other good defensemen, even if he turns out O.K. because the rest of our defense is beyond hopeless.

Oh, and did I mention we need a REAL B/U Goalie ?

Edited by RU SERIOUS