The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[MDSF] Carolina Hurricanes (M1) vs. New York Islanders (WC1) | Hurricanes win series 4-2

Rate this topic

2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 1  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Hurricanes in 4
    • Hurricanes in 5
    • Hurricanes in 6
    • Hurricanes in 7
    • Islanders in 4
    • Islanders in 5
    • Islanders in 6
    • Islanders in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/19/2023 at 11:00 PM

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Age old story of following your wallet instead of your heart.

You can tell he’s not playing for anything.

In retrospect it’s hard to fathom how Allvin was able to turn coming UFA Bo into Hronek, Raty, and new Beau? 
If the Islanders tried to trade Bo this summer what could the get? Heck! They’d likely have to add sugar to move Bo now, no? 

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

In retrospect it’s hard to fathom how Allvin was able to turn coming UFA Bo into Hronek, Raty, and new Beau? 
If the Islanders tried to trade Bo this summer what could the get? Heck! They’d likely have to add sugar to move Bo now, no? 

Well I’m all for dunking on Horvat  floundering on Long Island, but we can’t really judge the return on Bo based on his value right now, it has to be at the time of the trade, when he had 31 goals and 54 points in 49 games.

It’s also too early to judge the return. If Hronek is a beast for us, Beauvillier re-establishes himself as a solid top 6 winger and Raty develops into the 2 way centre he was projected as (and the picks we flipped to Detroit flop) the trade looks like an absolute win. Conversely Hronek could not live up to expectations or leave, Beauvillier could become another negative asset winger, Raty could bust and the picks we sent the other way could turn into absolute stud and this is a massively wasted asset. Or anything in between these outcomes occurs. 

Edited by McBackup

As much as we are enjoying his underperformance I think Bo Horvat is too good to regress long term.

I feel like maybe the Canucks culture plus the new system he is in is hurting him.

Maybe this offseason he can adjust to the Islander's system and be much better.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Diamonds said:

You might not want to look back on how Miller got most of his shorthanded goals...

Bo isn't having a good playoffs, but the Islanders' entire top 6 has gone MIA. Pageau 1 assist, Barzal 1 goal, Lee 1 goal, 36 goal scorer Nelson with only 1 goal (though at least he also has 2 assists). Their only forward that has shown up is Palmieri. Josh Bailey isn't even playing. They have a lot more problems that just Bo struggling and at least he's still winning faceoffs unlike Nelson and Cizikas. Really the only thing keeping them somewhat in this series is Sorokin mostly playing well plus their defensive defensemen (Mayfield, Pulock, Pelech) scoring points.

NYI were struggling before Trotz left and it hasn't got better. It makes me think there are locker room problems. Bo is in a funk but then we saw that for long stretches in Van as well. I don't think they can change this around. 

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 2

18 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

NYI were struggling before Trotz left and it hasn't got better. It makes me think there are locker room problems. Bo is in a funk but then we saw that for long stretches in Van as well. I don't think they can change this around. 

Guys compete on and off the ice. Their wallet needs to reflect their importance to the team’s winning. Bo’s wallet is soon to be elephant sized. He will get called out by his teammates for not carrying his share if the load, considering the fatness of his wallet. 
within a year Bo will be requesting a trade. But he ain’t going anywhere now. That contract is close to the most toxic in the league. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • elephant 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Guys compete on and off the ice. Their wallet needs to reflect their importance to the team’s winning. Bo’s wallet is soon to be elephant sized. He will get called out by his teammates for not carrying his share if the load, considering the fatness of his wallet. 
within a year Bo will be requesting a trade. But he ain’t going anywhere now. That contract is close to the most toxic in the league. 

If Lamoriello waits until the summer, he doesn't have this problem.  Not sure why he was so in a rush to sign BO.  He had the leverage of giving him that extra year.  8.5x8 is the equivalent of 9.75x7.  Even if BO had continued his pace from leaving Vancouver he still wouldn't have gotten 9.75 in the summer.  

If BO isn't signed right now and becomes a UFA he is probably getting what JR offered him on his last offer, 7x7.  That's probably his ceiling in UFA.  Which is the same as 6.1x8.  Lou could have easily offered him 7x8 in the summer and he would have been fine.  Or, after watching the last 40 games, he could have just traded his rights for a pick and washed his hands clean.  After trading his 1st round pick and Raty I guess that would have cemented his firing, which would not have been a bad thing for NYI.  But Lou was only thinking of himself, just like BO.  They both deserve each other to be honest...

BO's contract is probably going to be right up there with Huberdeau as two of the worst in the NHL.  They both played it right and signed at the exact perfect time for themselves.  IMO, however they are both going to have resentment from teammates.  Kinda like Loui when he was here.  I am sure his teammates didn't like the fact he was getting paid $6 million to play on the 4th line.

6 hours ago, iinatcc said:

As much as we are enjoying his underperformance I think Bo Horvat is too good to regress long term.

I feel like maybe the Canucks culture plus the new system he is in is hurting him.

Maybe this offseason he can adjust to the Islander's system and be much better.

Maybe he should keep the Canucks name out his mouth. 

Or else Myers will run him break him in half. :excl:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

BO says he's doing all the "little things"...

Same ol' thing from Bo. He talks about wasting energy pk'ing, but what about killing off a big penalty and using that to gain energy? Where is his drive? I can't get over how great it is that we traded him at his peak. His boring talking points after losses is infuriating for fans. I just don't see his heart in winning and wonder if he's gone full family mode.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Lamoriello waits until the summer, he doesn't have this problem.  Not sure why he was so in a rush to sign BO.  He had the leverage of giving him that extra year.  8.5x8 is the equivalent of 9.75x7.  Even if BO had continued his pace from leaving Vancouver he still wouldn't have gotten 9.75 in the summer.  

If BO isn't signed right now and becomes a UFA he is probably getting what JR offered him on his last offer, 7x7.  That's probably his ceiling in UFA.  Which is the same as 6.1x8.  Lou could have easily offered him 7x8 in the summer and he would have been fine.  Or, after watching the last 40 games, he could have just traded his rights for a pick and washed his hands clean.  After trading his 1st round pick and Raty I guess that would have cemented his firing, which would not have been a bad thing for NYI.  But Lou was only thinking of himself, just like BO.  They both deserve each other to be honest...

BO's contract is probably going to be right up there with Huberdeau as two of the worst in the NHL.  They both played it right and signed at the exact perfect time for themselves.  IMO, however they are both going to have resentment from teammates.  Kinda like Loui when he was here.  I am sure his teammates didn't like the fact he was getting paid $6 million to play on the 4th line.

This could be the death of Lou's career.  If Bo reverts back to his 50 - 60 point pace.  And that pace was when he was a younger man. Players don't usually get better after 28. It was a perfect storm this season of Bruce run n gun coaching, where he was never the one raked over for any defensive flaws.  But Bo's not getting any faster on the back check.

Of the two old dogs, Rutherford got one over on Lamoriello this time.

Proves though that other GMs, even well respected ones, can be taken to the cleaners.  Lou may have watched Bo in the bubble playoffs, and then adding in his performance here this season, concluded that even if it was a bit of an overpayment, he would inject the leadership, as a former captain, and more goal scoring. Making him a prime target, and he wanted to snag him before other GMs got wind of this late blooming scoring phenom from the west coast!

Benning was drooling for OEL for years before he landed him. Another example of a GM with tunnelvision about a player, failing to see the player has fallen off since you were first enamoured.  I'm not saying the same thing happened to Lou with Bo, but it just shows that any GM can be had, and JR and Allvin can wheel and deal with the best of them.  Where the "Benning" in the deal process is on the other side.  Makes me optimistic about this management finding a new home for Myers, or Garland, or even Boeser too in order to improve the team next season. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, kilgore said:

This could be the death of Lou's career.  If Bo reverts back to his 50 - 60 point pace.  And that pace was when he was a younger man. Players don't usually get better after 28. It was a perfect storm this season of Bruce run n gun coaching, where he was never the one raked over for any defensive flaws.  But Bo's not getting any faster on the back check.

Of the two old dogs, Rutherford got one over on Lamoriello this time.

Proves though that other GMs, even well respected ones, can be taken to the cleaners.  Lou may have watched Bo in the bubble playoffs, and then adding in his performance here this season, concluded that even if it was a bit of an overpayment, he would inject the leadership, as a former captain, and more goal scoring. Making him a prime target, and he wanted to snag him before other GMs got wind of this late blooming scoring phenom from the west coast!

Benning was drooling for OEL for years before he landed him. Another example of a GM with tunnelvision about a player, failing to see the player has fallen off since you were first enamoured.  I'm not saying the same thing happened to Lou with Bo, but it just shows that any GM can be had, and JR and Allvin can wheel and deal with the best of them.  Where the "Benning" in the deal process is on the other side.  Makes me optimistic about this management finding a new home for Myers, or Garland, or even Boeser too in order to improve the team next season. 

That’s why you need a lot of opinionated people in your management to steer you away from making a bad decision. Lou and Benning/weisbrod didn’t do that. Lou should retire now.

Don't know how this is going play out with Bo. I don't have any ill feelings towards Horvat, I was a fan for years, so I feel some what sorry for him, despite the odd comment he made towards the Vancouver fans. 
I do however thank the lord, that we didn't get another LE situation on our hands. This could turn ugly real quick for Horvat. 

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, BoKnows53 said:

That’s why you need a lot of opinionated people in your management to steer you away from making a bad decision. Lou and Benning/weisbrod didn’t do that. Lou should retire now.

Lou and/or his management team did not thoroughly investigate Horvat's game.  If anything, the Canucks

are a high offence team and Bo benefitted from that style of play.  He deserves credit for the work he put

into improving his game last summer and clearly showed up for the season.

Expecting Bo to carry the offense on the defensive Islanders is asking a lot and I highly doubt he will ever

reach the numbers he had in Vancouver last season.  He's not having success in NY, but hopefully, he

will settle in and put up better stats next season.  The Islanders need to find a way to utilize him on the

PP.

So, will playoff BO show up tonight and lead his team to victory?  Will he score a goal when it really matters?  

New York fans are alot less forgiving than Vancouver fans.  Let's hope for BO's sake that he at least shows up tonight...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, will playoff BO show up tonight and lead his team to victory?  Will he score a goal when it really matters?  

New York fans are alot less forgiving than Vancouver fans.  Let's hope for BO's sake that he at least shows up tonight...

Wait. What? :huh:

This is Vancouver fans being "forgiving"? :blink:

On 4/24/2023 at 3:48 PM, Boudrias said:

Hurricanes will win this series but that is probably as far as they go. To many injuries. They should have paid the price on Miller whatever that was? 

Waddell told Russo that they were only looking for 1-year rental at most because they have too many key players to sign in a year and don't want to risk losing their core.  Aho, Necas, Jarvis, Pesce, Skjei are all up next year + Slavin the year after.