The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

33 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

WE MISSED PLAYOFFS BY 13 POINTS. WE STARTED THE SEASON 0-5-2 WHERE WE LED BY MULTIPLE GOALS FOR THE FIRST 5 STRAIGHT GAMES TO START THE SEASON.

If anyone thinks this isnt a playoff team this year because of

1) Demko’s slow start

2) horrendous goaltending for nearly 4 months without Demko

GIVE YOUR HEAD A BLOODY SHAKE. 
we needed f***ing 13 pts. We EASILY could have had that if we didnt blow the first 5 games and if Demko was healthy 1 week earlier. 
OR

If Demko didnt get injured? 

Despite Demko’s injury and length of time he was out, we only missed by 7 wins with 2 goalies sporting a nearly 4.0GAA

DOES ANYONE REALIZE JUST HOW CLOSE WE ACTUALLY WERE TO PLAYOFFS??? ANYONE?????????? My god. This was literally a matter of one health body, losing our #1 goalie for half a bloody season. Scoring was there, goaltending was not there to back it up.

For anyone to doubt this core’s ability to have an impact on winning games, please just go watch another team.

Btw, CGY finished with 10 more points than us, NSH with 9 more. They didn’t make the playoffs either. Blues trailed us by only 2 point and they obviously didn’t  make the cut.

The good news is that we may have improved our potential this season over those respective teams.

Bad news is Kraken beat us by 17 points, and Jets by 12. That’s our wildcard competition. We may be able to  catch the Jets this year but Kraken might be difficult. Still all a crapshoot.

Edited by RWJC

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

To CHI: Pettersson (RFA, no NMC)

to VAN: Bedard (ELC) 

anyone do this straight up if it was offered? Yes it’s unrealistic at this time, and maybe doesn’t make sense for CHI considering the Bedard hype train and marketing machine.

Regardless, hypothetically anybody here pulls the trigger on this at this stage of the game?

it's unrealistic regardless at anytime unless bedard struggles in his 1st season or something.. i dont think Chicago would even consider trading the 1st overall for EP.. honestly i don't see any team that would even consider a trade like this unless it's like a middling team on the cupse of being a good team somehow won the lottery.. even if EP will sign a 8 year contract with chicago.. chicago don't have the up and coming prospect or players currently on the roster to even compete likely within that 7-8 years window.. you can't just build a team thru free agency.. that doesn't work in the current nhl.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, stawns said:

To be fair, I agree for the most part.  I think the playoffs is certainly attainable, though I'm not sure management has done enough to get ahead of the teams they need to pass.

We’ve built a role playing bottom 6 and a PK unit. Something we’ve lacked. We obviously couldnt count on goaltending to do their job and with a slew of injuries and not having any real PKers, it hurt us bad. Think back 2 seasons ago, even with a healthy Demko playing at his best, the absence of Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson actually had an impact on our ability to keep leads, win games or keep the score close. I firmly believe this team can take a top 3 divisional spot. I believe we are better than a WC spot.

Just now, AnthonyG said:

We’ve built a role playing bottom 6 and a PK unit. Something we’ve lacked. We obviously couldnt count on goaltending to do their job and with a slew of injuries and not having any real PKers, it hurt us bad. Think back 2 seasons ago, even with a healthy Demko playing at his best, the absence of Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson actually had an impact on our ability to keep leads, win games or keep the score close. I firmly believe this team can take a top 3 divisional spot. I believe we are better than a WC spot.

It's definitely in the ballpark of being realistic, but it's going to be a tough go to jump the teams ahead of them.  I think they'll need to stay healthy and teams above them to suffer injuries.

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

38 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Maybe we were close in your eyes, but built to be a playoff team? No chance.

Yes some improvements made for this coming season and Tocchet will also get a chance to prove his presence wasn’t just a bump as well but a lasting overhaul as to how this team views playing a full 60 min sound game at both ends of the rink. 

We’re getting there, but our direct competition is also improving at a similar pace. You need to take that into consideration as well. This team is still at the what if stage…they havent proven anything until they make the postseason. 
Then, only then, is it worth reminiscing or relying on how “close” they were as it’s currently moot. They simply didnt make the cut. Other teams suffered droughts, injuries, and their own misfortunes. No more excuses for this group. Mgmt realizes that as well.

I want to think they're seriously in the mix, but I'm also not sure PA made the moves he needed to make to get them there.  They'll need a healthy dose of good luck........but that's true of all bubble teams I guess

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's definitely in the ballpark of being realistic, but it's going to be a tough go to jump the teams ahead of them.  I think they'll need to stay healthy and teams above them to suffer injuries.

Calgary just moved their top scorer, the team is in complete dysfunction.

Edmonton relies HEAVILY on the PP to win games. Without that PP their top 3 scorers did next to SFA against VGK. 
LAK meh. How much longer can Kopitar keep leading that team at the age of 36?

VGK will be strong, but I feel we can compete with them. 
SJS lol

ANA el oh el

SEA is very well rounded.

I dont see how we cannot compete for a top 3 spot against EDM, VGK and SEA realistically. Those are the 3 teams we are contending against. I like our goaltending better, I like Hughes over their star dmen. Theodore sure makes a case for himself as a better overall dman. But is nowhere near as dynamic and as good of a skater as Hughes. We have a 100pt scorer and technically almost 2 with JT. We have 3 30 goal scorers and who knows, maybe Boeser regains his confidence and scoring touch after getting past the first year without his dad and having a solid and healthy camp.

This team is entirely capable of playoffs and being top 3 in the division the way I see things.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think the biggest thing we need is Demko to start strong and keep rolling like he did in 2021-22. We dont need to rely on other teams health status to give us better odds. All top teams have goalies who win them games. TBL didnt skip a beat without Kucherov for an entire season AND Stamkos missing 1/4 of the season. We can certainly make it to the promised land with Demko playing to the level he is capable of.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I think the biggest thing we need is Demko to start strong and keep rolling like he did in 2021-22. We dont need to rely on other teams health status to give us better odds. All top teams have goalies who win them games. TBL didnt skip a beat without Kucherov for an entire season AND Stamkos missing 1/4 of the season. We can certainly make it to the promised land with Demko playing to the level he is capable of.

Improved defensive dcorps in front of him too now 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

WE MISSED PLAYOFFS BY 13 POINTS. WE STARTED THE SEASON 0-5-2 WHERE WE LED BY MULTIPLE GOALS FOR THE FIRST 5 STRAIGHT GAMES TO START THE SEASON.

If anyone thinks this isnt a playoff team this year because of

1) Demko’s slow start

2) horrendous goaltending for nearly 4 months without Demko

GIVE YOUR HEAD A BLOODY SHAKE. 
we needed f***ing 13 pts. We EASILY could have had that if we didnt blow the first 5 games and if Demko was healthy 1 week earlier. 
OR

If Demko didnt get injured? 

Despite Demko’s injury and length of time he was out, we only missed by 7 wins with 2 goalies sporting a nearly 4.0GAA

DOES ANYONE REALIZE JUST HOW CLOSE WE ACTUALLY WERE TO PLAYOFFS??? ANYONE?????????? My god. This was literally a matter of one health body, losing our #1 goalie for half a bloody season. Scoring was there, goaltending was not there to back it up.

For anyone to doubt this core’s ability to have an impact on winning games, please just go watch another team.

Wait...aren't you the guy who said OEL is a more well-rounded player than Hughes...

32 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Edmonton relies HEAVILY on the PP to win games. Without that PP their top 3 scorers did next to SFA against VGK. 

SJS lol

ANA el oh el

I dont see how we cannot compete for a top 3 spot against EDM, VGK and SEA realistically. Those are the 3 teams we are contending against. I like our goaltending better, I like Hughes over their star dmen. Theodore sure makes a case for himself as a better overall dman. But is nowhere near as dynamic and as good of a skater as Hughes. We have a 100pt scorer and technically almost 2 with JT. We have 3 30 goal scorers and who knows, maybe Boeser regains his confidence and scoring touch after getting past the first year without his dad and having a solid and healthy camp.

This team is entirely capable of playoffs and being top 3 in the division the way I see things.

lol you feel like we can compete with VGK? so then we should be a stanley cup contender? LA don't need kopitar to lead them in scoring technically fiala would have lead the way if he wasn't injured at over a ppg. Dubois can transition into that 1c and kopitar can slip into the 2c. the only questionable thing about LA king is goaltending which they manage to navigate with a rotation of mediocre goalies

Edmonton relies on PP to win games sure but at least they'll get there in the regular season to dominate on the PP and cement their place in the standing

calgary who knows 

seattle might be a fluke but maybe not they are very rounded like you said

it's unlikely we beat out LAK VGK SEA EDM for a top 3 guaranteed playoff spot and prolly be fighting one of them for the wildcard + maybe a team like nashville or minnesota whoever's not in their top 3

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

SJS lol

ANA el oh el

Mrw GIF

For the record, Demko was part of the problem, at the beginning of the season, were he sported a nice GAA over 4 and a SV% under .900.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

10 hours ago, Provost said:

Not even close man... just looking at Petterson last year and he looked like the season that the Sedins went from baby fat kids to grown men with some strength behind them.

He broke out because his body is maturing and he is getting bigger and stronger to go along with his elite skills.  I have no expectation that he is going to regress and he has been picked by pundits outside the market to be a top 5 player in the league this year.  A 100+ point top line centre with elite defensive ability... he would be the most sought after trade piece in a long time.  That while being young and on a currently team friendly contract would make him worth an absolute haul.

Boston would want to make a trade that keeps them competitive.  They won't want to move a key current roster piece like McAvoy... it would be more like most of their top prospects and 1st round picks for a few years (they already have one traded away in '24 or '25).

You could argue McAvoy is a top-5 defenceman right now and Petey is a top-5 center in the league. What's more important? Hard to say.

I know it makes Boston worse but they have other decent defencemen (Lindholm, Carlo) but really no top line center. I think Boston would have to surely add a 1st and a decent prospect (doubt we get or want 2 firsts, they don't have one next year anyway).

So

McAvoy + Zacha + Lysell + 1st

for

Petey + some fodder for numbers (3-5th round pick or someone like Woo etc.)

We line up with Miller as a 70-80pt first line center, Zacha as a decent-ish 2C and hope Raty can play 3C next year along with our many bottom guys. Obviously we go from a top-heavy offensive-based team to a solid two-way defensive team. Hughes, McAvoy and Hronek on the same defence instantly makes us arguably the best defence in the league - that's two top-5 guys on the same team. Cole and Soucy really round it out nicely as depth guys. Then you've got a top-5 goalie in Demko. 

We won't score many goals but we won't give up many either. You see a lot of teams win in the playoffs this way - no 100-150pt star center, but a solid two-way guy (eg. ROR, Kopitar, Toews etc.) and a defence built like a brick wall.

I'd consider it.

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

Mrw GIF

For the record, Demko was part of the problem, at the beginning of the season, were he sported a nice GAA over 4 and a SV% under .900.

Except it was clearly obvious to everyone that he was playing through some kind of injury/discomfort, and once he got healthy he was back to being Thatcher Demko again. 

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

You could argue McAvoy is a top-5 defenceman right now and Petey is a top-5 center in the league. What's more important? Hard to say.

I know it makes Boston worse but they have other decent defencemen (Lindholm, Carlo) but really no top line center. I think Boston would have to surely add a 1st and a decent prospect (doubt we get or want 2 firsts, they don't have one next year anyway).

So

McAvoy + Zacha + Lysell + 1st

for

Petey + some fodder for numbers (3-5th round pick or someone like Woo etc.)

We line up with Miller as a 70-80pt first line center, Zacha as a decent-ish 2C and hope Raty can play 3C next year along with our many bottom guys. Obviously we go from a top-heavy offensive-based team to a solid two-way defensive team. Hughes, McAvoy and Hronek on the same defence instantly makes us arguably the best defence in the league - that's two top-5 guys on the same team. Cole and Soucy really round it out nicely as depth guys. Then you've got a top-5 goalie in Demko. 

We won't score many goals but we won't give up many either. You see a lot of teams win in the playoffs this way - no 100-150pt star center, but a solid two-way guy (eg. ROR, Kopitar, Toews etc.) and a defence built like a brick wall.

I'd consider it.

McAvoy is overpaid and oft injured.    Watching him play with Chara was comedy, he is a good puck handler, but not really a big guy.   Zacha will frustrate us, better off as a 3C.   So Lysell and the first.   I wouldn't do this trade, but mostly because I'm not as high in McAvoy as others are.   He's a little bit like Werenski 2.0 without the goal scoring.    I'd consider it too because it's better than nothing for sure.     But the most he's ever played is 67 games, and well i'm pretty sure he's sub-six feet..QHs, Hronek and McAavoy would be a treat to watch dish the puck though.   

9 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

SJS lol

ANA el oh el

Love your continued optimism.  NHL.com recently did an article and picked Vancouver as the dark horse in the West, and CLB in the East.   But did emphasize that they are much more bullish with the Canucks, and why.   A lot of those things have to do with Demko returning to form (his Tochett record was pretty sick) and Tochett himself.   I love our new coaching staff.   Perfect for a young team, and, if the wheels fall off, a rebuild too.   Allvin covered his bases there IMO. 

LA has is much improved.    Blake did exactly what we should have done.   Traded all the support players and guys who were lower on the core ladder.    Youth, vets, PLD ... just goaltending. 

Vegas..well we surely aren't a contender - they've been one since day one.  

And this is the best version of that team  as well.   Eichel worked out and will keep working out.    They've got 4-5 years left with that group. 

ANA and SJ don't have to worry about them. 

CAL, well that also depends on some things, but on paper they are good. 

EDM is very good aside from just McDavid.   We have to acknowledge that.  It's not just their PP.   Which of course is deadly.   RNH, Hyman, Kane ... it's not just the top two guys.   Bouchard, well a lot of fantasy folks would be wise to pick him up anyways. 

Seattle.   A bubble team for sure. 

Not sure really.   The past few years there seemed to be a legitimate excuse.   Sure hope we make the playoffs.   This team can, but a lot of things need to go right for that to happen.    But thanks for the pep talk.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

9 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol you feel like we can compete with VGK? 

Edmonton relies on PP to win games sure

it's unlikely we beat out LAK VGK SEA 

Last year vs VGK

5-4L

5-1W

4-3L

We absolutely can compete with them. That was with 3.99GAA Spencer Martin between the pipes

Edmonton, who’s to say their PP will be as successful?

LAK I truly dont see their roster as better

SEA plays a great 2 way game, but I dont see them as a clear cut better team than us. Our ability to score with Demko in net, we’ll be fine.

Edited by AnthonyG

10 hours ago, dougieL said:

Wait...aren't you the guy who said OEL is a more well-rounded player than Hughes...

Wait arent you the guy who cant understand the difference between well-rounded vs offensive?

The numbers dont lie and if Hughes was so reliable defensively over OEL, why would OEL be put in a shutdown role?

Dougie

981E1B40-F598-442E-A715-60B29A68D3C9.gif.56276e26a9640d8b2a863590f9c181e2.gif