The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Makes sense to me. I can't how Pettersson's choice to wait it out is an issue. The team has to be better. He's definitely part of that, mind you. 

Outside of the fan base rabid need to overthink this, it really makes zero difference if he's signed now or next summer.

He's a massive part of this team and for the next 10 months, he can prove again, how big a part of this team he is and earn a bigger overall contract.

He's an RFA next summer without a trade prevention clause. As much as some fans want to turn this into a big issue, there really isn't one. He either signs long-term or he doesn't and we trade him for good value, but I think he wants to be in Vancouver, so this will likely get done next summer with an 8 year extension.

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

I literally quoted games after tocchet took over and I said it too.. who gives a f about the games when Bruce was coaching? Is tocchet going to employ Bruce coaching style? Not sure what’s so hard to understand yet you keep listing games prior. I might as well list games from previous season or records from previous coaches while I’m at it.

and it seems to me previous season have so much bearing on next season then you might as well point back to the bubble and say that’s the real Canucks and we are going to play like that next season the core is literally the same minus Horvat and throw in hronek. I forgot what happened the following season after the bubble because there was so many positives and optimism coming out of the bubble. 

our defensive changed so much over the off season whatever happened last season is literally irrelevant. The game is played on the ice not on paper. We don’t even know if the defence will mesh or not with players playing above their role they played their entire career

only thing that’s relevant is the coaching style. I’m not a fan of it because it doesn’t seem to work against the good teams.

I literally said I challenge you to do your own research on how we did against all 16 playoff teams and you acknowledged the challenge and then returned with your research on 5 games.. lol not even 5 playoff teams, but 5 games.

Lmao I guess goaltending has NOTHING to do with last season at all eh. How many games were lost purely on goaltending and the PK??

you know what else is relevant?? OUR GOALTENDING.

Im not suew what is so hard to understand about goaltending being our biggest issue. No matter what coaching style we had last year, it’s irrelevant to the fact our goalies allowed a combined -55GSAA which was the absolute worst in the league. Thats 55 goals that every other goalie around the league was making a save on that shot.

image.gif.bdac5481be57be41beab59f12591f865.gif

Edited by AnthonyG

2 hours ago, 250Integra said:

I hope and pray that Demko stays healthy or else we're relying on Spencer Martin or Rookie Arthurs Silovs 

Married At First Sight Love GIF by Lifetime

Yeah bud, I hope they get some cap space moved or simply trade for a better backup (in case Demko does go down)  although Martin had a good run there for a bit.. it's def unsettling haha

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Mind you we had Demko’s worst stretch of hockey, Martin and Delia who couldnt stop a beach ball, making it very challenging to win games. We could score plenty, but allowed plenty more. We had many 1 goal games vs playoff teams. It seems like a tall order, but with a healthy Demko, Petey and JT down the middle for top 6 and a better PK unit for the forwards, I have a lot of confidence. Health is of course always going to be a concern, but ultimately I like our chances. We struggled with JT at wing and when he went back to C, we tightened up and began keeping scores a bit closer

Blowing leads like we did in the first week of last year is what killed us I think. Never really got going after that. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Pears said:

Blowing leads like we did in the first week of last year is what killed us I think. Never really got going after that. 

Yea and it was bad goaltending that was the main culprit. Which is also tied into why our PK was so crappy.

Demko had the 3rd worst GSAA league wide in all situations

-10.12 in 15GP.

hard to win when you’re basically battling a free goal against 2 of every 3 games

after that Spencer Martin said hold my beer

Edited by AnthonyG

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Yea and it was bad goaltending that was the main culprit. Which is also tied into why our PK was so crappy.

Demko had the 3rd worst GSAA league wide in all situations

-10.12 in 15GP.

hard to win when you’re basically battling a free goal against 2 of every 3 games

after that Spencer Martin said hold my beer

I’ve been saying I had a feeling Demko was fighting something the first quarter of the season and with how well he performed when he came back, that kind of backed my theory up. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

I’ve been saying I had a feeling Demko was fighting something the first quarter of the season and with how well he performed when he came back, that kind of backed my theory up. 

Which him going down 1/4 of the way through backs up that theory as well, that he wasnt 100% and finally that nagging issue became an injury. He went from bottom 5 goalie to top 10 goalie in the league after returning from injury. 

28 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The media in this city will not stop on this issue until Pettersson actually wants to leave. 

D&D are back only hours from their summer break and they're back on the drumbeat of making this more of an issue than it is.

It's in their business. It's how they get people to listen and watch their show. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The media in this city will not stop on this issue until Pettersson actually wants to leave. 

D&D are back only hours from their summer break and they're back on the drumbeat of making this more of an issue than it is.

Why do you look on the negative side, I see it as they did not interview him so they ask Elliott on his thoughts… he gives a pretty positive look on the process.

17 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Why do you look on the negative side, I see it as they did not interview him so they ask Elliott on his thoughts… he gives a pretty positive look on the process.

Their agenda with this issue isn't authentic. They've been trying to make an issue out of it for months, looking for anything to grab onto to make this more than what it is. 

@wai_lai416

VAN vs EDM 1-2-0

5-3L - Demko

5-2W - Delia

4-2L - Martin

at 5v5 VAN outscored EDM 7-5

VAN vs MIN 0-2-1

4-3OTL - Demko

3-0L - Martin

2-1L - Demko

at 5v5 MIN outscored VAN 5-3

VAN vs CAR 1-1-0

3-2L - Demko

4-3SOW - Delia

at 5v5 CAR outscored van 5-3

VAN vs SEA 2-2-0

5-4W - Demko

6-5SOW - Martin

6-1L - Martin

5-2L - Delia

at 5v5 SEA outscored VAN 14-8

VAN vs NJD 0-1-1

5-2L - Demko

5-4OTL - Delia

at 5v5 NJD outscored VAN 6-4

VAN  vs TOR 1-0-1

3-2L - Martin

4-1W - Demko

at 5v5 VAN and TOR scored 2-2 

VAN vs BOS 0-2-0

5-2L - Demko

3-1L - Silovs

at 5v5 BOS outscored VAN 2-1

VAN vs LAK 2-2-0

4-1W - Demko

3-2SOW - Demko

4-1L - Demko

3-0L - Delia

at 5v5 LAK outscored VAN 6-5

VAN vs VGK 1-2-0

5-4L - Demko

5-1W - Martin

4-3L - Demko

at 5v5 VGK outscored VAN 10-7

VAN vs COL 2-1-0

4-3W - Martin

4-2W - Delia

4-1L - Delia

at 5v5 VAN outscored COL 6-4

VAN vs FLA 0-2-0

5-1L - Demko/Martin 

4-3L - Martin

at 5v5 FLA outscored VAN 7-3

VAN vs WPG 0-3-0

5-1L - Martin

4-2L - Delia

7-4L - Martin/Delia

at 5v5 WPG outscored VAN 10-5

VAN vs NYI 1-1-0

6-2L - Martin

6-5W - Delia

at 5v5 NYI outscored VAN 7-5

VAN vs TBL 0-2-0

5-4L - Delia

5-2L - Martin/Delia

at 5v5 TBL outscored VAN 7-2

VAN vs NYR 0-2-0

4-3L - Martin

6-4L - Silovs

at 5v5 NYR outscored VAN 9-6

VAN vs DAL 3-0-0

5-4W - Demko

5-2W - Demko

3-1W - Demko

at 5v5 VAN outscored DAL 9-4

VS top 3 in our DIV 20GF at 5v5

VS top 3 in our DIV 25GA at 5v5

VS playoff teams 73GF at 5v5

VS playoff teams 103GA at 5v5

Demko's record vs playoff teams

7-8-1

GF 57 - 3.56GF/G

GA 46 - 2.88GA/G

correct me if I'm wrong.... but it looks like with Demko in net, we can compete with any top team in the league and we sure as hell can score against them too.

15 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

@wai_lai416

VAN vs EDM 1-2-0

5-3L - Demko .833

5-2W - Delia

4-2L - Martin

at 5v5 VAN outscored EDM 7-5

VAN vs MIN 0-2-1

4-3OTL - Demko .892

3-0L - Martin

2-1L - Demko .944

at 5v5 MIN outscored VAN 5-3

VAN vs CAR 1-1-0

3-2L - Demko .923

4-3SOW - Delia

at 5v5 CAR outscored van 5-3

VAN vs SEA 2-2-0

5-4W - Demko .889

6-5SOW - Martin

6-1L - Martin

5-2L - Delia

at 5v5 SEA outscored VAN 14-8

VAN vs NJD 0-1-1

5-2L - Demko .889

5-4OTL - Delia

at 5v5 NJD outscored VAN 6-4

VAN  vs TOR 1-0-1

3-2L - Martin

4-1W - Demko .973

at 5v5 VAN and TOR scored 2-2 

VAN vs BOS 0-2-0

5-2L - Demko .875

3-1L - Silovs

at 5v5 BOS outscored VAN 2-1

VAN vs LAK 2-2-0

4-1W - Demko .974

3-2SOW - Demko .950

4-1L - Demko .875

3-0L - Delia

at 5v5 LAK outscored VAN 6-5

VAN vs VGK 1-2-0

5-4L - Demko .868

5-1W - Martin

4-3L - Demko .852

at 5v5 VGK outscored VAN 10-7

VAN vs COL 2-1-0

4-3W - Martin

4-2W - Delia

4-1L - Delia

at 5v5 VAN outscored COL 6-4

VAN vs FLA 0-2-0

5-1L - Demko/Martin .833

4-3L - Martin

at 5v5 FLA outscored VAN 7-3

VAN vs WPG 0-3-0

5-1L - Martin 

4-2L - Delia

7-4L - MartinDelia

at 5v5 WPG outscored VAN 10-5

VAN vs NYI 1-1-0

6-2L - Martin

6-5W - Delia

at 5v5 NYI outscored VAN 7-5

VAN vs TBL 0-2-0

5-4L - Delia

5-2L - Martin/Delia

at 5v5 TBL outscored VAN 7-2

VAN vs NYR 0-2-0

4-3L - Martin

6-4L - Silovs

at 5v5 NYR outscored VAN 9-6

VAN vs DAL 3-0-0

5-4W - Demko .895

5-2W - Demko .926

3-1W - Demko .962

at 5v5 VAN outscored DAL 9-4

VS top 3 in our DIV 20GF at 5v5

VS top 3 in our DIV 25GA at 5v5

VS playoff teams 73GF at 5v5

VS playoff teams 103GA at 5v5

Demko's record vs playoff teams

7-8-1

GF 57 - 3.56GF/G

GA 46 - 2.88GA/G

correct me if I'm wrong.... but it looks like with Demko in net, we can compete with any top team in the league and we sure as hell can score against them too.

lol 3.56 GF and still have a losing record is not what i call we can compete with any top teams.. if you are scoring at 3.56+ goals per game?? you are expected to win 70% of those games.. we out scored a grand total of 3 teams you listed 5v5.. and demko's have a sub .900 sv % in 60% of the games which is not even acceptable for a backup. again if the only way we make the playoff is demko playing 60-70 games and have to stand on his head most nights? we are in trouble. 

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol 3.56 GF and still have a losing record is not what i call we can compete with any top teams.. if you are scoring at 3.56+ goals per game?? you are expected to win 70% of those games.. we out scored a grand total of 3 teams you listed 5v5.. and demko's have a sub .900 sv % in 60% of the games which is not even acceptable for a backup. again if the only way we make the playoff is demko playing 60-70 games and have to stand on his head most nights? we are in trouble. 

Buddy his record prior to injury vs top teams was trash. His record after returning was nowhere near trash.

HOW DO YOU STILL NOT COMPREHEND COLIN DELIA AND SPENCER MARTIN WERE ABSOLUTELY TRASH.

Demko against top teams had a rough stretch in the first few weeks. After that his record IS A WINNING RECORD. Like god damn man. 
one f**ing game below .500 and outscoring playoff teams. We had a handful of losses early while Demko was likely battling through something hence the f***ing injury.

Good god man the PK was also one of the biggest crippling issues all season long. Tocchet came in, Demko got healthy and the systems changed, we had some call ups who played great and our PK got way better. We just added one of best PKers and built a better PK unit overall. We dont need Demko to play 70 games and stand on his head. We need special teams to do their god damn job and make life easier on whoever is in net. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Their agenda with this issue isn't authentic. They've been trying to make an issue out of it for months, looking for anything to grab onto to make this more than what it is. 

Ok just had a bbq with a bunch of other senior age hockey team guys and general topics were : Auston Matthews contract, Elias Petterson contract or will he bolt, Quinn Hughes is insanely good, Demko needs to be better and a bunch of random Rod Briindamour stuff as we are in Campbell River. But yeah fans talk about all the same stuff..lt is not a conspiracy.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Ok just had a bbq with a bunch of other senior age hockey team guys and general topics were : Auston Matthews contract, Elias Petterson contract or will he bolt, Quinn Hughes is insanely good, Demko needs to be better and a bunch of random Rod Briindamour stuff as we are in Campbell River. But yeah fans talk about all the same stuff..lt is not a conspiracy.

I never said it was a conspiracy. Not even close. You're misunderstanding me. 

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

Yeah bad choice of words. But you made it sound like the media was generating stories that weren’t there when in fact everyone talks about that stuff

Bad choice of words for sure. Especially when I used "agenda". No, I didn't mean generating stories that weren't there. Sure, we all talk about it. 

I do think D&D are stoking the issue - and have been for months - in an alarmist way and making way more out of it ... not conspiratorial but more sensational. Even JP Barry - Petey's agent - was laughing at them in their interview when he knew they were pushing for things that weren't there.