The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion/ prediction] how many new players to start next season?

Rate this topic

Ted Lasso

Last off-season we added 4 NHL regulars, that were new to the organization:

• Kuzmenko
  • Mikheyev
  • Aman
  • Joshua

…and 3 more before the TDL:

• Beauvillier 
  • Hronek
  • Bear

What’s the over/under to start next season? NHL regulars, that are new to the organization (excludes AHL or prospect promotions). Sat and Riccio landed on 6.5, which seems high to me. What do you think?

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Thanks 1

Yeah if we can even find suitors for the pricier contracts (e.g., some less expensive but longer-termed player in return for Myers, probably some other cap dumps along with picks for Garland/ Boeser) I'd already consider that a win.  Not really anticipating a Barbashev or Gavrikov acquisition, and if you're saying entirely new players I would probably say 3-4?  Even if e.g. we trade Boeser to Pittsburgh for Rutta (pricey, older vet who's lower on the depth chart but good value as top-4 RHD), Myers for some overpaid but still cheaper 3rd C with term and Garland for a pick and some depth guy, that's still a decent turnaround IMO.  I think the depth is solid and so are the guys at the top, it's filling out the middle and letting the kids develop.  

Kuzmenko - Petey - Beauvillier
Di Giuseppe? - Miller - Mikheyev
(Podkolzin/ Hoglander/ McDonough...) - [3rd C/ Raty]
Joshua - Aman - Kravtsov (maybe one last show-me contract for the Russian)

Hughes - [Rutta?]

OEL - Hronek

Hirose/ Wolanin/ Rathbone - Bear

Demko

Martin/ Silovs/ Delia...

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Yeah if we can even find suitors for the pricier contracts (e.g., some less expensive but longer-termed player in return for Myers, probably some other cap dumps along with picks for Garland/ Boeser) I'd already consider that a win.  Not really anticipating a Barbashev or Gavrikov acquisition, and if you're saying entirely new players I would probably say 3-4?  Even if e.g. we trade Boeser to Pittsburgh for Rutta (pricey, older vet who's lower on the depth chart but good value as top-4 RHD), Myers for some overpaid but still cheaper 3rd C with term and Garland for a pick and some depth guy, that's still a decent turnaround IMO.  I think the depth is solid and so are the guys at the top, it's filling out the middle and letting the kids develop.  

Kuzmenko - Petey - Beauvillier
Di Giuseppe? - Miller - Mikheyev
(Podkolzin/ Hoglander/ McDonough...) - [3rd C/ Raty]
Joshua - Aman - Kravtsov (maybe one last show-me contract for the Russian)

Hughes - [Rutta?]

OEL - Hronek

Hirose/ Wolanin/ Rathbone - Bear

Demko

Martin/ Silovs/ Delia...

Great post.

I can see all depth roles (13F, 7/8D) and half of the ‘open’ 8-9 positions (below) going to internal competition.

Kuz - Petey - [       ]

[       ] - Miller - Mikheyev 

[       ] - [       ] - [       ]

PDG  - Aman - Joshua

Hughes - [       ]

OEL - Hronek 

[       ] - [       ]

Demko

[       ]

To have any more than 4 new players, there’d have to be a surprise trade or two.

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

Yes player movement is here (trades, rumours or signings).... hypotheticals would be in canucks talk or proposals.

It’s meant to be a discussion / prediction on player movement. Can you please stop derailing the thread? The mods can move it if needed. 

• Haha 1

• Ted Lasso changed the title to [discussion/ prediction] how many new players to start next season?

Here's what I think our lineup will be next year: 

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

PDG - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander Barbashev - Garland

Joshua - Aman - Studnicka

Hughes - Bear

Hirose - Hronek

OEL - Myers

Demko

Delia

Here's what I hope our lineup will be next year:

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

PDG - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander Sundqvist - Podkolzin

Joshua - Aman - Studnicka

Kravstov

Graves - Hronek

Hughes - Bear

OEL - Burroughs

Hirose

Demko

Silovs

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tocchet said he wants to work in pairs.  So, I would say we are looking at the following:

Kuzmenko   Pettersson

Mikheyev     Miller

Podkolzin

Joshua        Aman

By that logic, we need some complimentary players on each line.  I think Boeser is probably coming back (Petey's BFF), so he can play with Miller.  PDG might be the 13th forward depending on how much cap space we have.  So that leaves 4 positions.  Most likely 2 of those positions are filled internally with Beauviller and Kravtsov/Hoglander.  Garland looks like the one we should trade.  If that happens then we open up cap space.  So, I would say we need 2 new forwards up front.  A 3C and a 4RW.

As for the defence, we have 3 who can carry a pair:

Hughes

Hronek

Bear

By that logic, we need another 3 complimentary players on each pairing.  OEL looks to be coming back.  So he can play with Hronek at least to start the year.  We could go internally on another one with Wolanin, Brisebois, Hirose, Juulsen.  Also, depends on Myers and if we keep him around.  If we are keeping Myers then we may walk away from Bear or at least try to trade him for a pick.  If we can trade Myers and free up that caps space, then we might go and get 2 more players on D.  Schenn could be one of them.

As for the goalies, it looks like Allvin likes what he sees in Silvos, so i would say we are sticking with what we have.

So, looking at the whole picture, we could be doing exactly what we did last year and bring in 4 new players over the summer.  2 forwards and 2 Dmen...

2 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Last off-season we added 4 NHL regulars, that were new to the organization:

• Kuzmenko
  • Mikheyev
  • Aman
  • Joshua

…and 3 more before the TDL:

• Beauvillier 
  • Hronek
  • Bear

What’s the over/under to start next season? NHL regulars, that are new to the organization (excludes AHL or prospect promotions). Sat and Riccio landed on 6.5, which seems high to me. What do you think?

Lazar? Stillman? Delia?

all those guys are nhlers 

I would say that those types of transactions are included in the 6.5

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking :

Meyers traded after bonus paid for b prospect or draft pick

Garland traded for younger player

Kratsov traded for ??? an rfa so probably just a lower pick or futures

Dehlia let walk... promote Martin to backup

Petey re-signed @ $ 10.5 x 8

Hirose & Bear re-signed for minor raises x 2 or 3 years

no free agent worth > $ 4.5 signed

Boeser gets a show me season till Christmas, possibly traded next deadline. needs power skating coach. 

Kuz, Petey, (NEW-Anderson)

Mik, Miller, Boeser

Podz, (NEW-Dvorak) Hogs

Joshua, Aman, PDG

Studs

Hughes, (NEW)

(NEW), Hironek

Hirose, Myers

Woo

4 new guys. OEL is bought out!  Yeh!!!!  Torch the anchor chain. Get 'er done JR.

Garland and Beau and Bear are headed to Habland for Anderson and Dvorak.

Edited by Alflives

Let me see.  This is what I would like to see from what we have that is somewhat realistic as Myers and OEL going nowhere. 

Mik-EP-Kuz

?-JTM-?

Podz-?-Hogz

Joshua-Aman-?

QH-Bear

OEL-Hronek

Hirose-Myers. 

I would really like to see all of Beau, Brock and Garland moved and some size and speed added on the wing.  If I was going to retain one it would probably be Beau as he at least provides speed though is small, and overpaid for a middle six 18-22 goal scorer who doesn’t kill penalties. 
Not sure Kravtsov is back or not, really didn’t show much.  McDonaugh and Karlsson would likely be in the running for some of the empty wing spots. 

It is obvious we plan on overpaying for a third line centre on the UFA market. Maybe they can somehow pull off a winger for a centre trade though that would unfortunately likely be a winger and next years first for a young third line centre looking to get paid (see: Hronek deal)

it would be a very bad idea bidding on any significant UFAs this off-season until we have cost certainty on EP and Hronek but I don’t expect that kind of thinking from this management group, just what can we do to be better immediately and the future will be the next management groups problem. 

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Mik, Miller, Boeser

Podz, (NEW-Dvorak) Hogs

Joshua, Aman, PDG

Studs

Hughes, (NEW)

(NEW), Hironek

Hirose, Myers

Woo

4 new guys. OEL is bought out!  Yeh!!!!  Torch the anchor chain. Get 'er done JR.

You still are going on about OEL buyout?  
Would take that Montreal deal though I suspect we would throw in next years first because that’s how we roll. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Mik, Miller, Boeser

Podz, (NEW-Dvorak) Hogs

Joshua, Aman, PDG

Studs

Hughes, (NEW)

(NEW), Hironek

Hirose, Myers

Woo

That looks good on paper -- though the amount of term in Anderson's contract and his inconsistency might wear out his welcome here really quickly.  Dvorak for Beauvillier I'd definitely be onboard (esp. if they want a French Canadian winger), but if the difference between our two wingers and their two forwards is Bear, I'd probably want to keep Ethan around.

27 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

That looks good on paper -- though the amount of term in Anderson's contract and his inconsistency might wear out his welcome here really quickly.  Dvorak for Beauvillier I'd definitely be onboard (esp. if they want a French Canadian winger), but if the difference between our two wingers and their two forwards is Bear, I'd probably want to keep Ethan around.

Kent Hughes has said a few times now that they've had plenty of teams calling on Josh Anderson but that he's not looking to move him.  LeBrun says they are confident they could get quite the return should they change their minds.  Doubt that's the kind of package that would entice them.  Montreal already has enough undersized Fs - not sure they want to get any smaller.  

Kuzmenko

Beauvillier
Di Giuseppe

Mikheyev
McDonough

Raty
Joshua

Aman

Kravtsov

Hronek

Hirose

Wolanin

Bear

Silovs

Johansson

Delia

Miller

Boeser(?)

Poolman(?)

Dermott(?)

I'm not going to get into specifics here, and these are in no particular order, but just to note how many additions, re-signings, JR/PA have brought in already who will, or may, be competing for spots this September.

I just like how this new management group is always active all season. No "day to day"  or "we ran out of time" bumbling. Benning seemed to do most of his deals after the season ended. Seemed like it anyways. He'd hum and haw, until other teams had already acted, and he felt pressured to make any deal and grabbed the sloppy seconds from other teams.  Gluing macaroni on paper.  Easy to ignore advice by eliminating nagging departments like President and Chief of Amateur Scouting, and go all in on his tunnelvision choices either draft or FA.  Virtanen...Joulevi...Eriksson....Sutter...Gagner...Gudbranson....OEL..

So I am pumped that a lot of the "major surgery" is already done. Still some to go, but maybe we are so conditioned to Benning's unpreparedness and leaving things to the last minute, that we can't see we are already on the way.  Still work to be done, and some of the new younger players need to be tested for consistency. But so would any new player coming in this Summer.  I like how we already have a large competing training camp.....with some potentially decent pickups.  And/or valuable pieces to add to another trade deal.

Of course JR/PA will still be targeting a third C like Barbashev or a Gavrikov to add to the blue line. But it just doesn't feel like such a desperate open-ended crap shoot that I felt during Benning's reign, at the end of any one of his underwhelming seasons.

I thought this retool would still take a few years before this season.  But now I'm stoked for next season. Not to be contenders, but just to be able to watch a competitive, structured, decent team who should make the playoffs.

Edited by kilgore
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1