The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lottery Draw process

Rate this topic

This may be redundant as many people here may already know all about this but if not...

There's a good article in "The Athletic" about the lottery draw process:

https://theathletic.com/4453404/2023/05/05/nhl-draft-lottery-format-rules-odds/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Something I didn't know:  when they actually draw the balls to determine the draft order, every team eligible for the lottery has a representative there to watch the draw.  Then the representatives are secluded for a couple of hours until the results are announced to the public and the team gm's on tv.

A video of the draw is released after the results are announced.  Here's the video from the 2022 draw (with a rather lengthy explanation of how the process works from Gary B.)

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Pears said:

I still don’t like how the draw is done behind closed doors. 

At least each team has a representative watching. I'm sure they can only rig it so much with all those eyes watching. Maybe Canucks rep can bring bags filled with money to bribe Gary B for first overall. Pay everyone else to look away. Hahaha, wishful thinking. 

If I'm not mistaken, the lottery is actually vetted by Ernst & Young, a public accounting firm, which I didn't know about. Personally gives me more confidence in the legitimacy of the draw.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

My thoughts are that only an organization that is as untrustworthy as the NHL and it's BOG would go to such great lengths to portray itself as 'transparent' to the general public. 

Other organizations that are beyond reproach don't have to try to explain to the general public that they are in fact 'honest'. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2
  • RoughGame 1

The league would love Bedard here. Extra 100 million in revenue for the league. Don’t know if any other club would get a similar total dollar rise in revenues that we would. The US franchise’s definitely not. Habs are already near their ceiling so Bedard there adds some but not like here. 
Bettman will make it so we win the Bedard lottery. 
Alf’s empties have spoken. All bow.

2 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

Not a chance he goes to any of the Canadian teams.

You mean like McDavid and Matthews didn’t go North?  Bedard is coming here. Bettman knows that’s how the league maximizes revenues. 

21 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

My thoughts are that only an organization that is as untrustworthy as the NHL and it's BOG would go to such great lengths to portray itself as 'transparent' to the general public. 

Other organizations that are beyond reproach don't have to try to explain to the general public that they are in fact 'honest'. 

But doesn't this put the NHL in a no-win situation?

If they don't go to great lengths to portray themselves as transparent, people will claim they're hiding something.

If they do go to great lengths to portray themselves as transparent, people will claim they're feeling guilty about something.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

If they don't go to great lengths to portray themselves as transparent, people will claim they're hiding something.

If they do go to great lengths to portray themselves as transparent, people will claim they're feeling guilty about something.

What if they chose to be transparent from the beginning.......?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

What if they chose to be transparent from the beginning.......?

The Office Yes GIF

Typically, if you need to 'convince' people - one way or another - it means you've done something previously to make them think otherwise - you don't come back easily from breaking trust like that with the general public, that's why they need to go to these lengths.  

44 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

If I'm not mistaken, the lottery is actually vetted by Ernst & Young, a public accounting firm, which I didn't know about. Personally gives me more confidence in the legitimacy of the draw.

You mean the same Ernst & Young that produced these beauties.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/string-of-firms-that-imploded-have-something-in-common-ernst-young-audited-them-11602863319

:unsure:

• Haha 1
  • There it is 2

19 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Agree with this thinking. Too many people won't even give the NHL an opportunity to prove their honesty. Because they've already decided that they're dishonest, there's no way to convince them otherwise. It's perfectly reasonable to expect someone or a company to do what they can to show their honesty if they understand that others don't trust them--yet they still get criticized.

To say that they should've been more transparent from the beginning is retrospective and doesn't focus on the current issue--instead using past potential offenses to permanently indict the NHL without any chance at redemption.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Are we at all surprised that Bettman would use a firm that has this kind of record for his confirmation it’s an honest draft lottery? 

3 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

A company that implodes certainly isn't the fault of the auditors. Auditors are responsible for ensuring that financial reporting is accurate within materiality. Contrary to popular belief, they're not explicitly responsible for seeking out fraud nor are they at all responsible for the financial success of a company. 

• There it is 1