The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Draft and Off Season Talk

Rate this topic

Odd.

6 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

It takes the 11th just to move one of them per Seravalli. 

For those that loved the Hronek trade, claiming we'll never draft a player as good as Hronek at #18, I hope this statement helps educate you on the value of cap space. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, swimsWithDucks said:

I have the same feeling as you but what I expect is for the Blackhawks to get another cup before we even make the playoffs

The problem with building a team in the salary cap era is it's very difficult to win a cup with only a handful of great players. Look at the Leafs and Oilers. They have elite talent but don't have enough money to build around them.  I want the Canucks to build a team like the Panthers with a strong structured system and a lot of good players.  Up to this point neither  the Oilers or the Leafs haven had much playoff success.  I don't know if McDavid or Dries would ever fall in line to a structured system if it meant sacrificing points but maybe I'm wrong.  We'll see.  The Blackhawks are going to need more than 1 guy And he might cost them 14 mill after his elc is done. 

Edited by Pure961089

10 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You just don't get it G....we needed to develop "character" more than we needed a higher draft position....:rolleyes:

What is it, exactly, that you expected them to do?  Players and coaches certainly weren't going to do anything but do their absolute best to win hockey games.  

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, dougieL said:

For those that loved the Hronek trade, claiming we'll never draft a player as good as Hronek at #18, I hope this statement helps educate you on the value of cap space. 

I hated the Hronek trade from the moment it happened - nothing against the player but it is the timing and a reflection of how current mgmt values draft picks just like the last regime. The first round pick dropping a few spots didn't make it that much better, and I'm sure PA couldn't have predicted that. He was ready to risk the pick becoming a lottery pick in 2024 at worst case.

It wasn't the right time to make the trade at TDL and I still stand by that. Giving up our second round pick in a deep draft just kills it for me. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

What is it, exactly, that you expected them to do?  Players and coaches certainly weren't going to do anything but do their absolute best to win hockey games.  

True but I wish the team had that same mindset when the games mattered not when they were out of the playoffs 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

True but I wish the team had that same mindset when the games mattered not when they were out of the playoffs 

Boudreau was still the coach when the games mattered.  The pond hockey wasn't winning us any games, but was really padding BO's numbers, so the silver lining was we were able to get a good haul for a player who is really a 50 point guy.  Next year should be different, no shinny hockey to start the year, we will have our full systems in place from opening night...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I'm hearing from people like Serivelli that Garland and Beau have zero trade value. And to move them it will take Canucks draft picks. Not the other way around,  I find the rest of the NHL undervalue Canucks players simply for being Canucks.   It's kinda sad. And they know Allvin is between a rock and a hard place.  Were going to end up doing something like Vegas did.  Literally gave away Patcherety to get under the cap.  All the Myers money is going to Hronek, where's the money for Pettersson?  Cap mismanagement could be Allvin's downfall. 

What? How much are you planning on paying Hronek?

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boudreau was still the coach when the games mattered.  The pond hockey wasn't winning us any games, but was really padding BO's numbers, so the silver lining was we were able to get a good haul for a player who is really a 50 point guy.  Next year should be different, no shinny hockey to start the year, we will have our full systems in place from opening night...

Hmmm ... I thought Boudreau was the answer after he replaced Travis Green. Or at least we solved the coaching problem that many claimed was Travis Green's fault. 

We were the same position this time last year, thinking the coaching change and latter season improvements finally meant the team turned a corner.

But 3 coaches in 3 years ... we have to admit if this was any other team we would be calling the core coach killers.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, guntrix said:

Can’t believe people still insist on picking based on position/need even after Juolevi and Virtanen. 

BPA has always been the way. I hope JR and co. do what needs to be done.

Well they did it last year, or what they believed to be best player available, so it seems like that their thinking...

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

The team?

These players and coaches are playing/coaching for their own futures as well.... 

Whatever happens in Vancouver can lose them their jobs, with no chance of a proper contract anywhere else. 

And top players are never playing to lose... they play to get the accolades and good contracts be it here or elsewhere....

8 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Hmmm ... I thought Boudreau was the answer after he replaced Travis Green. Or at least we solved the coaching problem that many claimed was Travis Green's fault. 

We were the same position this time last year, thinking the coaching change and latter season improvements finally meant the team turned a corner.

But 3 coaches in 3 years ... we have to admit if this was any other team we would be calling the core coach killers.

Yes lets hope we don't end up in the same circle again, although I doubt that will be the case..

Do like the name core coach killers.... it actually represents a lot of the country club mentality, that seems to have been going around.

Trading Bo was probably the first step to change that around... 

Tbh if Green hadn't stuck to Baumer as his assistant, and got some qualified help like Tocchet has now, it might not have gone so bad for him.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

After Scott Walker left the team looked pretty disorganized I’d say that he was the reason we seen the potential of this team.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I expect the players and coaches to do their best to win....which is why I've been directing my criticism at management and not them.

Short of cleaning house at the deadline, which I was on board with for miller and boeser, what else should they have done?  They iced an AHL dcorp for a good chunk of the last quarter of the season.........they got bubble Demko back and guys like Petey caught fire.

I do think they should have shipped Miller and Boeser out though

So what would it take to snatch Bedard from Chicago?

He's NHL ready, and Chicago isn't going to be competing for any cup any time soon. Seems to me they are still in asset acquiring mode, and will be for a couple of years.

I propose:
To Vancouver: 1 OA
To Chicago: 11 OA, Beauvillier, Raty, Rathbone, 2024 1st, 2025 2nd

Do you guys think something like that package could get it done? I almost think it's overpayment, but then, we're talking Bedard here.

Kuz Pettersson Mikheyev
Garland Miller Boeser

PDG/Dries Bedard Hoglander

Podz Studnika Joshua

• Haha 1