The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[article] Could that extra $3-4 million in rumoured cap space fix everything for the Canucks this offseason?

Rate this topic

Ted Lasso

10 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Could contain: Book, Publication, Comics, Baby, Person, Face, Head, Cartoon

It will or it won't.

If it is cool that's awesome 

If it isn't it's just more of the same and what can you do?

I'll wait and see.  But I sure won't keep arguing that my opinion is equally as valid as anyone else's or be bothered by the possibility it isn't.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Thing is, when you use words like "realistic" as if your opinion is THE realistic opinion, that's where I chime in. Because yours is no more valid than the rest of us. And I, for one, don't let the past dictate the present or the future...I know that a positive outlook is ok even IF we've been burned in the past. My life and experience comes with a lot of trauma but it's ok to be hopeful and things will be better. It makes for a more pleasant life experience. Our experience doesn't translate to their experience and it could be quite different. So not sure why we can't also express an opinion that's as realistic as the pessimistic take?

If you were just putting your opinion out there.....sure. Have at'er. But this "realistic" advisory bs? Nope. 

He may be great. He may suck and his injuries plague him...right now the only realistic take is that it's unknown. And being hopeful and optimistic is ok (too) as not all of us believe in the past dictating the future.

You've tried to sell us on "damaged goods" but that's based on your own life "experience" with this team that's clouding your judgement. The negative take that not all of us share. There have been good things along with the bad things to draw from and this team's not just one big bust.

Again...I remember when people called Sami "glass" and wanted to ditch Bieksa. Sometimes injured players are the toughest ones out there and can be a real asset despite their history of injuries. 

Anyhow, not going to worry about it. But I'm just tired of this team never being able to do anything without the past being thrown up like it's a given that the future will play out the same.

You can add Tanev to that group. 
Man, could we ever use him just now and the last couple of years. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Thing is, when you use words like "realistic" as if your opinion is THE realistic opinion, that's where I chime in. Because yours is no more valid than the rest of us. And I, for one, don't let the past dictate the present or the future...I know that a positive outlook is ok even IF we've been burned in the past. My life and experience comes with a lot of trauma but it's ok to be hopeful and thinks things will be better. It makes for a more pleasant life experience. Our experience doesn't translate to their experience and it could be quite different. So not sure why we can't also express an opinion that's as realistic as the pessimistic take?

If you were just putting your opinion out there.....sure. Have at'er. But this "realistic" advisory bs? Nope. 

He may be great. He may suck and his injuries plague him...right now the only realistic take is that it's unknown. And being hopeful and optimistic is ok (too) as not all of us believe in the past dictating the future.

You've tried to sell us on "damaged goods" but that's based on your own life "experience" with this team that's clouding your judgement. The negative take that not all of us share. There have been good things along with the bad things to draw from and this team's not just one big bust.

Again...I remember when people called Sami "glass" and wanted to ditch Bieksa. Sometimes injured players are the toughest ones out there and can be a real asset despite their history of injuries. 

Anyhow, not going to worry about it. But I'm just tired of this team never being able to do anything without the past being thrown up like it's a given that the future is decided already.

Pessimism and realism are two different things.

In fairness.  Realism says we have an injured RHD that managed 1 point in 4 games before being shut down for the season with a lingering shoulder injury on a team with a history of screwing up injured players over the last decade that is due for a large raise soon 

But whatever.

I'm not gonna argue this.  I'm entitled to my opinion and I'll maintain that opinion until such time as he proves his worth on the ice.

• Cheers 2

3-4 mil will sure take the heat off of Allvin.  

For me, it would be less about filling all the needs but rather hopefully keep him from being forced into making a bad move to open up space. 

Other teams with space might open up more opportunities for hockey trades involving our wingers as well. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

In fairness.  Realism says we have an injured RHD that managed 1 point in 4 games before being shut down for the season with a lingering shoulder injury on a team with a history of screwing up injured players over the last decade that is due for a large raise soon 

But whatever.

I'm not gonna argue this.  I'm entitled to my opinion and I'll maintain that opinion until such time as he proves his worth on the ice.

I'm not too focused on "points" for d men. That's secondary to me.

And for someone with a "wait and see" proclamation....I'm not seeing much of that, that's all. 

As for the topic at hand, fix everything sounds like there's a whole lot to fix. I'm not sure there really is as much as some believe. We are doing things that, for me, are relevant and helping to move in the right direction. The extra cap space will definitely be useful to alleviate a bit of pressure in the here and now.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

And for someone with a "wait and see" proclamation....I'm not seeing much of that, that's all. 

Production isn't just points.  

I'm not gonna argue my position any more.  There's no point.  It's the off season.  He only played 4 games.  I'm entitled to my position and I'm not claiming he's anything in either fashion just preaching a wait and see mentality.

If that's not a popular take, that's not my problem 

22 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Well, underneath it all, it really sounds like the issues are more with being let down in the past, disappointment, and your response to both. You're afraid of being let down and disappointed. I get that.

Correct and incorrect.

My reason for waiting to see what happens in a season or two are from past experiences.  It has little to do with being let down anymore and everything to do with not allowing expectations get in front of reality.

Look up the Jordan Subban prospect thread for reference 

• Cheers 1

On 5/21/2023 at 8:53 PM, spook007 said:

You can add Tanev to that group. 
Man, could we ever use him just now and the last couple of years. 

I would have given Edler an retirement contract also. Just to have an NHL top ten blocker all times in the group.

Valuable for the young players to watch.

Be the 7th D for fun would have suited him perfectly.

• Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I would have given Edler an retirement contract also. Just to have an NHL top ten blocker all times in the group.

Valuable for the young players to watch.

Be the 7th D for fun would have suited him perfectly.

You could have, but think Edler would have been too expensive for 7th D...

but he was better than some of the dross brought in. 
Miss Eddie the Eagle...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

You could have, but think Edler would have been too expensive for 7th D...

but he was better than some of the dross brought in. 
Miss Eddie the Eagle...

Wasn’t he just paid 750k?

2.125 mill for two seasons.

Not so much and he could play one more season or two for 750k.

I think the players moral and team building  increSe with treating old players good. Especially players that has been in the organisation for ages.

But the OEL trade messed up everything with Tanev, Edler and team spirit.

6 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Wasn’t he just paid 750k?

2.125 mill for two seasons.

Not so much and he could play one more season or two for 750k.

I think the players moral and team building  increSe with treating old players good. Especially players that has been in the organisation for ages.

But the OEL trade messed up everything with Tanev, Edler and team spirit.

The first season 2021 he signed a 1 year deal worth $3.5M...

The second season he signed another 1 year deal worth $0.75M 

He had a broken foot in his first season and almost missed half the season after that... I'm not sure it would be in the best interest to re-sign him at that stage, coming back from a broken foot at the age of 37.

On 5/21/2023 at 3:10 PM, -DLC- said:

As for the topic at hand, fix everything sounds like there's a whole lot to fix. I'm not sure there really is as much as some believe. We are doing things that, for me, are relevant and helping to move in the right direction. The extra cap space will definitely be useful to alleviate a bit of pressure in the here and now.

Hronek got injured right when the trade was made.   And earlier, on Bieksa, just like Burrows naysayers, well worse really, there was an element on this forum that just trashed him.   Hard to understand why.   But they did.   Both guys deserving of the ROH.  

4 games?!  Let's have some patience first before declaring anything.   His body of work looks pretty good.    Maybe he doesn't make the team long term, but pretty sure he will get a contract.   And that the rest of the D core and the team will enjoy having him too.    Get that some fans have lost faith.   And get that bitter can come in at times too.  As far as Hronek goes, for sure deserves some more from us.    At least this season.   Hopefully a lot more. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

The first season 2021 he signed a 1 year deal worth $3.5M...

The second season he signed another 1 year deal worth $0.75M 

He had a broken foot in his first season and almost missed half the season after that... I'm not sure it would be in the best interest to re-sign him at that stage, coming back from a broken foot at the age of 37.

Wow, so he managed to be a 0,5 D at 35/36 and then broke his foot.

Well, in an alternative reality where he was with us he probably wouldn’t have broke his foot. 
I think it’s kind of fun that he was almost chased if this team while being a 0,5d still.

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

Wow, so he managed to be a 0,5 D at 35/36 and then broke his foot.

Well, in an alternative reality where he was with us he probably wouldn’t have broke his foot. 
I think it’s kind of fun that he was almost chased if this team while being a 0,5d still.

Sorry Timrå I don't understand, what you mean by 0.5 D?

He was paid well while a Canuck. I understand why the let him go, if he was expected to be paid $3.5-4M/season, but they didn't replace him properly. Same as with Tanev....

25 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Sorry Timrå I don't understand, what you mean by 0.5 D?

He was paid well while a Canuck. I understand why the let him go, if he was expected to be paid $3.5-4M/season, but they didn't replace him properly. Same as with Tanev....

Sorry, 19 points in 41 games is very close to 0,5ppg.

Isn’t that good numbers for 3,5mill defence players liked by canucks fans? 

Just now, Timråfan said:

Sorry, 19 points in 41 games is very close to 0,5ppg.

Isn’t that good numbers for 3,5mill defence players liked by canucks fans? 

Ok, I get you now...

He was on a downward trajectory, and I don't recall many people being up in arms over Eddies departure.

When they signed OEL, Eddie was not going to be resigned. He was a great servant, but his time had come and gone.

He was going to be on the 3rd pairing, and no, $3.5M is too much for a 3rd pairing Dman... 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Ok, I get you now...

He was on a downward trajectory, and I don't recall many people being up in arms over Eddies departure.

When they signed OEL, Eddie was not going to be resigned. He was a great servant, but his time had come and gone.

He was going to be on the 3rd pairing, and no, $3.5M is too much for a 3rd pairing Dman... 

yeah, one more issue with signing OEL.

The issues keep adding up.

• Vintage 1