The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[article] Could that extra $3-4 million in rumoured cap space fix everything for the Canucks this offseason?

Rate this topic

Ted Lasso

https://canucksarmy.com/news/extra-3-4-million-rumoured-cap-space-fix-everything-canucks-offseason

This would buy us time to make transactions for optimal returns, open up more trade partners, and reduce the leverage of teams like Chicago. It also takes the pressure off buyout decisions.

As the team with the highest cap spending, we seem to benefit the most from this…

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/extra-3-4-million-rumoured-cap-space-fix-everything-canucks-offseason

This would buy us time to make transactions for optimal returns, open up more trade partners, and reduce the leverage of teams like Chicago. It also takes the pressure off buyout decisions.

As the team with the highest cap spending, we seem to benefit the most from this…

The way I look at it is all of a sudden, there is now $96 to $128M in new cap space throughout the league.  You can bet that there will be more movement than if it was only a $1M cap increase.

Hoping the cap goes up every year isn't a replacement for wise, fiscal, long-term planning for this organization.  

If this happens and the cap does increase - it's just luck for Allvin.  Yes, Benning made a mess of things for sure, but Allvin didn't exactly 'penny pinch' when he took over either to this point. 

Allvin has some decisions to make - some hard ones that might rub some people the wrong way - but ones that need to be made to keep this franchise competitive in the long-term.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

No, the doom mongers will continue to spread the false narrative that we have cap problems.

We do have cap problems. We're in a position where we may have to pay to trade away a decent winger. How is that false? 

As a "doom monger" ;) I'll add It's mutually exclusive btw. "Doom monger" =/= "we have cap problems". 

Especially in the context of the compete now mandate.

if we were willing to take a step back. I agree. No cap problems 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DSVII said:

We do have cap problems. We're in a position where we may have to pay to trade away a decent winger. How is that false? 

As a "doom monger" ;) I'll add It's mutually exclusive btw. "Doom monger" =/= "we have cap problems". 

Especially in the context of the compete now mandate.

if we were willing to take a step back. I agree. No cap problems 

I don’t think we need to pay to get rid of a contract.

But now I also adapt the posters saying all kind of trades were turned down by PA. Those posters were a bit interrwined with the doom mongers.

So if those posters were right we are not inproblem because if that was right PA definately would have traded Miller to get those three firsts and push the window one year down the road.

It would be nice if the Canucks were a little more proactive. If we get some more cap space, and then trade some pieces to get more cap space and maybe picks/and or prospects. That way the team is way better off, in case of a crucial player gets injured, then the club has the flexibility going forward.

51 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

No, the doom mongers will continue to spread the false narrative that we have cap problems.

Doom mongers?

False Narrative?

Just curious.  What....is false about these numbers again?  Even with a $4 million increase.  Just you know, asking what is false about any of that

Could contain: Page, Text, Chart, Plot

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Doom mongers?

False Narrative?

Just curious.  What....is false about these numbers again?  Even with a $4 million increase.  Just you know, asking what is false about any of that

You can read my next post ::D

• Haha 1

People seem to be confusing the idea of 'cap trouble' with not being able to get under the cap. Then saying we have no cap issues because we can get under.

It is, of course, possible, and required, to get under the cap.

The issue is getting under the cap, and still having a team that can make the playoffs, or even come close.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

People seem to be confusing the idea of 'cap trouble' with not being able to get under the cap. Then saying we have no cap issues because we can get under.

It is, of course, possible, and required, to get under the cap.

The issue is getting under the cap, and still having a team that can make the playoffs, or even come close.

The play offs is alright with the team we have. 
But we will be high odds to ger any far.

That bit starts 24/25

35 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Allvin said he wasn't concerned about the cap.  Now we know why.  He has inside info we don't have.  With an extra $4 million in cap space, we are cap compliant even with Poolman on the roster, plus we can sign Bear and Kravtsov.  Also, we can put Pearson on LTIR during the summer.  I expect that to happen as I don't see any way he will be able to start the season on the roster.

If we can move Garland which they are actively trying to do, then that should free up the cap space available to get a 3C and another Dman...

This. ^^^

Allvin is further under the microscope now after sitting on his first season. He has to find a way to make it work. There really isn't any other option. I'm confident in their competency. 

Based on the decisions so far, moves, etc ... I'm not worried, or even - to use the most overused, emotional and dramatic word word on here - "concerned" that it will be a problem. And I'm glad he said he's not concerned. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

That would be the best outcome for us.  No longer handcuffed and needing to dump a "bloated" contract (Boeser/ Garland), and if it goes up enough we can move Myers and Beauvillier as pending UFAs with retention to maximize the return.  Now I just hope management doesn't screw it up like they did last time ($12 million coming off the books?  Let's add OEL and Garland to eat up all that space in 1 fell swoop!).

24 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Doom mongers?

False Narrative?

With LTIR we have 9 million to spend if the cap goes up 4 million.  We will have a full roster at that.  Really it is an issue of shifting $ and re allocating money from the wing to D and C to improve the team.  Once Myers and Pearson are off the books after next year, OEL is the only bad $ on the books.