The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) 11th over all pick for Cody Glass

21 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Glass is a 6th over all pick that is breaking out. 

11th over all just isn't very good and will most likely be disappointing or a total bust 

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Here are some players taken with picks 11-20:

Charlie McAvoy

Mattew Barzal

Nick Suzuki

Kyle Connor

Martin Necas

Thomas Chabot

Noah Dobson

Josh Norris

Matt Boldy

Robert Thomas

Cole Caulfield

Would you trade any of these players for Cody Glass? It’s true, there’s a decent chance that the player picked ends up worse than Glass, but you’re also trading the opportunity to hit a home run. Not to mention that even if Glass exceeds expectations, his price will go up soon, and isn’t far from UFA status. The guy picked with #11 is under team control for years.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why would Montreal want Will Smith?

He's committed to Boston College isn't he?

Are you saying that as a bad thing? 

I think Will Smith will land anywhere between 3 and 8 

18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Doesn't Montreal need help sooner rather than later?

Not really.  Montreal has excellent depth at most positions but are lacking many game breaking prospects.  They’ve had incredibly bad luck with injuries the past two seasons but that’s allowed them to test out a number of their prospects.  They have several that are NHL ready.  Montreal can afford to take the most take the most talented player available and wait for them. 

That said. If Carlsson is there at 5 they take him. No question 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How do you know this?  You cannot predict the future.  Wasn't Jake Virtanen a 6th overall pick?  Draft position means nothing.  Lafreniere was the #1 overall pick.  Is Chicago trading the #1 overall pick for Lafreniere?

The 11OA in 2023 has more value than Cody Glass.  Glass was literally playing in the AHL in 2021.  Last year was his first full year in the NHL and he had 35 points.  Is he breaking out?  Maybe.  But I wouldn't trade the 11OA in a deep draft for him...

*In a deep draft. Yes. I don't like that part of it.

But in a weak draft ,I think it's a no brainer. An 11th pick in a bad draft just wears us down. We all over value the player and hope and pray that he becomes something. And then he disappoints. And we are all just beat after it 

17 hours ago, mll said:

Most of those players wouldn't even be available.

Dorion is desperately trying to upgrade his D-corps and says it's the hardest trade to make.  Why would they even consider moving Zub when he hasn't even started his new deal and Ottawa is looking to compete next season.  Dorion promised Giroux to convince him to sign that the rebuilding years are over and that it's go time.  

Cirelli also starting a new contract.  Tampa's window is now.  They just traded a boatload of picks for Jeannot because they couldn't care less about picks at this stage of their cycle as explained by BriseBois.  

Brodin is for sure not available - they are trying to compete despite having near 15M less in cap space than any other team.  Kaprizov in his prime and they need to show him that its worth extending there.  Brodin is expected to carry rookie Brock Faber in the top-4 as they aren't bringing Dumba back.  Per Russo the Wild would like a do over with the Rossi pick so he thinks they'd be willing to move him if they get a high 1st in this draft.  

Colorado also in their win now window with the MacKinnon extension kicking in.  Can't see them downgrading their D-corps in a win now window + Toews is on a great deal for a top pairing D.

Idem for Calgary.  This past season is to forget.  Weegar, Huberdeau are starting new deals, Kadri, Markstrom, Toffoli are all win now additions.  Conroy says his 1st call is to Lindholm.  Doesn't look like they are changing directions.  

I expect that as teams finish up their year end team reviews, that many players on this list will re-signed.  I really didn't consider whether I personally would trade the 11th OA for any of the players listed.  Some on the list would certainly be of interest to me but offering less than our top pick.  I just thought that it would be interesting to put the list out there because I saw no comment about the article on here and most on the list haven't been discussed as targets for the Canucks.

On 5/25/2023 at 4:40 PM, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Glass had a breakout year last year. His 850k 1 year deal is expiring. He will probably sign a $2.3 million 2-3  year bridge deal. We are going all in anyway. I don't think you can get much better of a player for the #11 pick than this. 

Preds fans project him as their #2 C next year with #1 C upside in the future. I think he is a better player than Laffrenier now

Here's a Preds fans reaction

I probably would. I don't think most Preds fans would. But I'm also pretty sure that Trotz wouldn't... our centers are Glass, Parssinen, Novak, and Sissons (and maybe Johansen). That's not exactly an area of proven strength to deal from. 11th is really close and I feel like we'd have an excellent chance of getting a player who turns out to be better than Glass with that pick. Just... that player wouldn't play for us until several years from now. Whereas I suspect the Preds would prefer the more immediate contribution of Glass. But it's close!

Glass was pretty unreal down the stretch for us, no interest in moving him. He's very likely going to be starting as the 1C next year.

You got me thinking about the Nashville situation OP.  

They are going to go for the playoffs next year, so they will be looking to get better this summer.  

Quick look at their lineup, cap situation, and draft pick capital suggests that they would be a perfect trade partner with us.  

They have 2 x 2nd round picks, 3 x 3rd round picks (13 total picks in this draft!!!) and could really use a good winger like Boeser/Garland/Beauvillier to provide some scoring.  None of those wingers are in their 30s, so acquiring one of them for a pick or two would really benefit both teams.  

18 hours ago, mll said:

Most of those players wouldn't even be available.

Dorion is desperately trying to upgrade his D-corps and says it's the hardest trade to make.  Why would they even consider moving Zub when he hasn't even started his new deal and Ottawa is looking to compete next season.  Dorion promised Giroux to convince him to sign that the rebuilding years are over and that it's go time.  

Cirelli also starting a new contract.  Tampa's window is now.  They just traded a boatload of picks for Jeannot because they couldn't care less about picks at this stage of their cycle as explained by BriseBois.  

Brodin is for sure not available - they are trying to compete despite having near 15M less in cap space than any other team.  Kaprizov in his prime and they need to show him that its worth extending there.  Brodin is expected to carry rookie Brock Faber in the top-4 as they aren't bringing Dumba back.  Per Russo the Wild would like a do over with the Rossi pick so he thinks they'd be willing to move him if they get a high 1st in this draft.  

Colorado also in their win now window with the MacKinnon extension kicking in.  Can't see them downgrading their D-corps in a win now window + Toews is on a great deal for a top pairing D.

Idem for Calgary.  This past season is to forget.  Weegar, Huberdeau are starting new deals, Kadri, Markstrom, Toffoli are all win now additions.  Conroy says his 1st call is to Lindholm.  Doesn't look like they are changing directions.  

Agreed on all of these...  pretty bad article if those are the suggestions.  

On Calgary: they have 7 UFAs coming up next summer and have said that they don't want to be caught with their pants down again like they did with Gaudreau.  I haven't heard that Lindholm is the first guy they will prioritize (though it makes sense), but I think that Calgary is primed to over-react and not act rationally this summer because of what happened last year.  They are definitely going to go for it again, but boy oh boy, that roster could lose all flexibility once they pay Lindholm and Hannifin. 

10 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Agreed on all of these...  pretty bad article if those are the suggestions.  

On Calgary: they have 7 UFAs coming up next summer and have said that they don't want to be caught with their pants down again like they did with Gaudreau.  I haven't heard that Lindholm is the first guy they will prioritize (though it makes sense), but I think that Calgary is primed to over-react and not act rationally this summer because of what happened last year.  They are definitely going to go for it again, but boy oh boy, that roster could lose all flexibility once they pay Lindholm and Hannifin. 

I suspect they’ll trade a D-man, possibly Hanifin. Kylington is ready to return.

On 5/25/2023 at 7:51 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Glass and Foote

#11 and Rathbone

Hughes - Foote

Wolanin/OEL - Hronek

Petey

Miller

Glass

Raty

You think Wolanin is top 4 d? Yikes. That's more delusional than the fans who thought Spencer Martin was the long-term backup goalie solution. 

49 minutes ago, zzbottom said:

You think Wolanin is top 4 d? Yikes. That's more delusional than the fans who thought Spencer Martin was the long-term backup goalie solution. 

Spencer Martin was fine as a backup, he fell apart when he became the long term starter over 10-12 weeks of the season. 

Many goalies and goalie analysts have said over the years that having the pressure of being the starter is much different than performing well as a backup. 

I don't see Glass as a 1C and I would be holding my breath for him to claim the 2C role.  The Canucks

need a much more physical player that is certain to rise up to the 2C spot at some point.  Ratu may be

that player, but he is still very young and it might take another year (or 2) before he takes on the 3C job

for the Nucks.

This year's ranking is all over the place after the top 5, so it's difficult to predict the best player at 11oa. 

The management team will have to determine whether to: take the pick; trade the 11oa for a later 1st

and 2nd: or trade for a young roster player ie: Krebs to Canucks - 11oa + LW prospect.  Buffalo ends

up with the 11oa + 13oa (they also have 2nds), so they can keep the picks or create a trade with a

return that improves their team right away. 

It's a gamble but I wouldn't take it, I think the 11OA will be far better than Glass. Cody might bloom later as a big center but if we have a stab at Leonard, Dvorsky, ASP, Reinbacher or even Moore, I think we take one of those guys over Cody Glass. He had a good year last year but could easily just plateau and never get any better, plus his development has really been disrupted with the trade.

I'd maybe do 11OA + 3rd round pick for Glass + 15OA or Fabbro

It'd be hard saying no to two former first rounders for the price of one, and Fabbro has done pretty well - RD, playing 20+ minutes, didn't get destroyed defensively on a pretty average team. Glass could slot in at 3C, Fabbro next to Hughes. We'd certainly have to add, probably someone like Rathbone. Glass is due an extension and Fabbro is on a dirt-cheap 2Mish deal which in itself is quite valuable. Assuming we flip a winger (Garland?) for cap space:

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

PDG - Miller - Boeser

Beauvillier - Glass - Podkolzin

Joshua - Aman - Hoglander

Hughes - Fabbro

OEL - Hronek

Hirose - Myers

Burroughs

• Upvote 1