The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SCF] Vegas Golden Knights (P1) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) | Golden Knights win 2023 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

2023 Stanley Cup Final  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

• Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7
    • Panthers in 4
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/06/2023 at 12:00 AM

3 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Pietrangelo did not engage a Florida player, he just stood next to him.

Tkachuk then came up behind Pietrangelo and grabbed him in a headlock in a deliberate attempt to injure his neck... he reacted to that.

Yeah, but just about every Canucks fan knows that if a Canuck did that - he would have been suspended the 10 games.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

People don't believe it but Tiger scored more career goals than Henrik Sedin.  The guy was a legit player and an NHL all star as well.  Aside from being the all time NHL penalty minute leader with a bullet.  He was much more in the vein of Rick Tocchet / Bob Probert than Tony Twist / Basil McRae.

Totally agree, and I had the privilege of watching him play live, many times while he was a Canuck.

He'll always be remembered as the fierce pugilist, but he was much more...he was always a fan favourite, everywhere he played.

- 50 goal season in junior (52)

- career average 21g, 23a, 44p per season

- (2) 30 goal seasons (30 & 35)

• Vintage 3

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

These playoffs have been awesome. I don't mind either team really.

I've been rooting for the Panthers after they bounced the Leafs and stunned Boston. That made me REALLY happy. Plus Bob's run was amazing up until the final. Really, the Panthers looked unbeatable. 

I do think a team in Vegas is good for hockey, exciting, and I understand why expansion teams in today's era can't suck for years on end. I get it. 

But to think Vegas has been to the final twice in the team's first six years and is on the verge of a Cup conjures huge conflicting mixed emotions as a Canucks fan given all that we've endured. It doesn't feel right. In principle, it's not. 

But ... for me ... it comes down to this ... and it doesn't have anything to do with Vegas. It's about us.

Vancouver needs to win a Cup as soon as humanly possible. Enough already! This fanbase and city deserves a winner and to win sooner than later. Not in ten years, not another 15 years ...

A freakin' SAP. 

Go Panthers! 

I feel the same about Canucks needing to be urgently trying to fill in our gaps. But my doubts outweigh my hopes for that.

It seems like we are insistent on a speedier finesse style. And not getting a crushing dman to help our beleaguered back check.How many tough playoffs are we going to keep watching to 'get it'. The playoffs are a brutal gauntlet to run against to try and get 16 wins. How many walking wounded first liners, and key defenseman are suffering through injuries. We need a hulk dman to help our goalie, keep big forwards off his porch. 

Hronek is good but not a big deterrent like some we've witnessed these playoffs. 

IMO we need to draft the best bigger dman. 

Unless we can get Tryamkin to sign 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I feel the same about Canucks needing to be urgently trying to fill in our gaps. But my doubts outweigh my hopes for that.

It seems like we are insistent on a speedier finesse style. And not getting a crushing dman to help our beleaguered back check.How many tough playoffs are we going to keep watching to 'get it'. The playoffs are a brutal gauntlet to run against to try and get 16 wins. How many walking wounded first liners, and key defenseman are suffering through injuries. We need a hulk dman to help our goalie, keep big forwards off his porch. 

Hronek is good but not a big deterrent like some we've witnessed these playoffs. 

IMO we need to draft the best bigger dman. 

Unless we can get Tryamkin to sign 

I agree about a bigger Dman, and bigger overall. Hronek will be good us, and a big help next year along with better goaltending.

The thing is ... this is just getting started really. The first year of JR and Allvin was a wash.

I'm pretty confident in who we have running the show now ... Allvin, JR, Tocchet, Gonchar, Foote, even Dale Tallon ... these guys have all either won and/or built winning teams. Plus high pedigree people in Emilie and Cammi. There's a lot of competence. 

I really want to see how they'll make this team better over the next two seasons. This coming season has to be successful in taking the next step into playoffs. 

And ...

Happy Hronek, Hairy! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Agree to disagree.  They were in the top 15 in points that season (in the entire league).  It isn't a cop-out when Willie wasn't shortening the bench.  Not their fault the bottom two lines were getting too much icetime (getting eaten alive by the Flamers).  While the Sedins might've been running on gas fumes, Benning/Willie was left with guys like Higgins who were running on a completely empty tank to 'fill-out' the bottom two lines.

Yes, agree to disagree.::D

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I agree about a bigger Dman, and bigger overall. Hronek will be good us, and a big help next year along with better goaltending.

The thing is ... this is just getting started really. The first year of JR and Allvin was a wash.

I'm pretty confident in who we have running the show now ... Allvin, JR, Tocchet, Gonchar, Foote, even Dale Tallon ... these guys have all either won and/or built winning teams. Plus high pedigree people in Emilie and Cammi. There's a lot of competence. 

I really want to see how they'll make this team better over the next two seasons. This coming season has to be successful in taking the next step into playoffs. 

And ...

Happy Hronek, Hairy! 

Yup. The must this summer is to get Petey locked up long term. 

• Upvote 1

If history repeats itself and Vegas has troubles closing out series such as

Canucks the bubble year

2019 sanjose series

dallas series this year

Vegas should drop the next two games before winning game 7.

Barbashev looks like he’s going to cash in big this summer, who’d have thought he would be the best trade deadline acquisition out of all the big moves this year?  

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I sure hope he doesn't play any "Bo" games either.

I don’t think Petey needs to play “elephant in the room” to get the contract he deserves. Bo wanted an overpay retirement contract. Petey has shown he’s worth the contract he’s going to get. 

• elephant 1

4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

People don't believe it but Tiger scored more career goals than Henrik Sedin.  The guy was a legit player and an NHL all star as well.  Aside from being the all time NHL penalty minute leader with a bullet.  He was much more in the vein of Rick Tocchet / Bob Probert than Tony Twist / Basil McRae.

Ballard, for whatever his business skills, threw away a solid team to satisfy his own ego.  The line of Sittler, McDonald, and Williams was a great line that would've formed the nucleus of a solid contending team.

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Recently watched Ice Guardians again.   100% agree with Brett Hull, Gillies, Tochett etc,  Gretzky doesn't get those records without Semenko and later McSorely,  plus plus on those teams, because he wouldn't have been able to play 1400 plus career games.   He'd be lucky to get to 1000.   Crosby faced more punishment than any star before him given the timing when he came in.  

Less than 5% of concussions come from fights ... sure they do happen, but it's the armoured shoulder pads and elbow pads they use to day, plus this need for speed that escalated this.   Guys like Tiger were both worth their weight in gold, but also loved by his  teammates.   Brett Hull said no way would he have scored as many goals, or played as many games as he did without guys like Kelly Chase and Twist around.   Twist for sure was an all out goon, but just putting him on the bench was good enough to keep guys honest.     The instigator penalty was brutal.    The guy who instigates, is the rat who does the cheap shot.   Agree with Gillies and Chase, those are the guys who should get the extra two minutes, and it created this need to drop the gloves at the next face off or "staged fights." Ruined the flow of the game to a degree, and created an escalation from pure enforcers, to the goon squads that came in during the mid 90's and peaked just before the lockout, because they were the ones who ended up fighting for team pride or whatever.   Before that, if you did something dirty, you were going to get it, and that included running a star player, kneeing, using your stick etc.   It wasn't the enforcers doing the cheap shots either, the only time they'd go after a star would be if something happened to one of their stars.   Usually they had the most integrity in the entire room.   And for sure the highest level of loyalty.   Every single group has one, and if it doesn't, the group usually has issues.    These are the folks who join the military because they want to, or a job where they are willing to put their body on the line for the group because they want to help.     When did Probert ever cheap shot anyone?   Domi took out Neely's a-hole cheap shot artist, was suspended for it, most of Canada and the hockey world considered him a hero because like Marchment and Cooke, was trying to injure star players. 

Rypien, Brashear, Gino, Tiger.   And whole pile of other guys.   Sure hope the Canucks can get back to their roots a little and ice a team more like Vegas.    Why when Miller gets criticized i don't understand it.     At least all he wants to do is win.   Have a room of guys that think like that and it's awfully hard to beat that.    Reaves can join our team anyday.   Get Lucic used to be the enemy, but i'd be fine with him on the fourth line at a fourth line's pay scale.    Tim Hunter was the enemy too.    Once we get to the playoffs,  which still has some old time feel to it,  I have zero confidence EP and QHs are safe with this team the way it is now.    Heck it already happened to EP twice.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

If history repeats itself and Vegas has troubles closing out series such as

Canucks the bubble year

2019 sanjose series

dallas series this year

Vegas should drop the next two games before winning game 7.

Barbashev looks like he’s going to cash in big this summer, who’d have thought he would be the best trade deadline acquisition out of all the big moves this year?  

Schenn was too.   Those two sure made TB Jeannot deal look a little foolish for sure. 

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Rypien, Brashear, Gino, Tiger.   And whole pile of other guys.   Sure hope the Canucks can get back to their roots a little and ice a team more like Vegas.    Why when Miller gets criticized i don't understand it.     At least all he wants to do is win.   Have a room of guys that think like that and it's awfully hard to beat that.    Reaves can join our team anyday.   Get Lucic used to be the enemy, but i'd be fine with him on the fourth line at a fourth line's pay scale.    Tim Hunter was the enemy too.    Once we get to the playoffs,  which still has some old time feel to it,  I have zero confidence EP and QHs are safe with this team the way it is now.    Heck it already happened to EP twice.  

I'm all for it too... 

This team needs swagger that comes from having the toughest guy on the ice who makes the opposition tip-toe around him. 

4 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

How healthy scratch Phil Kessel is bringing joy to Vegas’s Stanley Cup run

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/how-healthy-scratch-phil-kessel-is-bringing-joy-to-vegass-stanley-cup-run/

I like the first comment:

PuckCat66 HRS AGO

Phil Kessel is about to be a three-time Stanley Cup Champion!

For Toronto Maple Leaf fans, the Stanley Cup is the big silver trophy (89.54 cm tall, 17 kg), that is awarded to the best team in the NHL after the season ending playoffs. You can see this trophy most days in your city of Toronto, Ontario in the Hockey Hall of Fame at Brookfield Place on 30 Yonge Street. If you look closely, you will find your team's name as the 2nd oldest team on Barrel Ring 1 (1966-67 Toronto Maple Leafs). For clarity they do not appear on the other 4 newer rings so it won't be worth searching; however, Phil Kessel's name is on Barrel 4 twice and will soon be added to Barrel 5.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, IBatch said:

Schenn was too.   Those two sure made TB Jeannot deal look a little foolish for sure. 

Played pretty solid for a so-called depth player for the Leafs.  But true to their usual self, two-thirds of the 'big money trio' were no-shows.  There's only so much even Schenn can do to for that team.  One of the best free agent signings by Jim Benning.  And this isn't a 'back-hand compliment to Benning'.  Schenn is exactly the type of veteran player you want on your team.  One that doesn't have a long-term contract *AND* at a cheap cap price.  The developing players can learn alot from his worth ethic.  

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

How healthy scratch Phil Kessel is bringing joy to Vegas’s Stanley Cup run

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/how-healthy-scratch-phil-kessel-is-bringing-joy-to-vegass-stanley-cup-run/

Well hopefully he finds a home next year where he can keep his streak alive or at the very least get the eight points he needs for 1000.

I always felt bad for guys like Rick Middleton (988) or Jason Spezza (995).

• Vintage 1