The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Canucks linked to an intriguing Right Handed Defenseman: The interest is mutual

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

You have to take the lens and go back a little further to include the Horvat trade.   Basically they traded a guy who wanted way more then we could afford, and also more then he's actually worth, even as a free agent, for Raty (who THN said a week later in their future watch, 21 and unders, was our best prospect),  Beau for a year, who of course can become either a player for us, part of a trade tree later, and Hronek.    Who Button said is a legit top pairing RHD just entering the start of his prime (and will get better).   

We filled a vital spot on the roster.   The whole thing was very creative, and for me anyways, agree with Button 100%, best case with that pick we'd be able to draft a Hronek, and that we wouldn't benefit from that for another 3 years at least, likely more.    That's IF the lottery ticket worked out.    We don't have the luxury of time with EP and QHs.   Button also said, IF we kept that pick that the team might as well blow itself up entirely and trade both EP and QHs, Demko too.   

Not sure why you'd consider it a desperation trade at all.   It was plugging a massive hole.    To me desperation would have been the opposite, trying to jam in Horvat, just to keep doing the same old thing that wasn't at all enough anyways.    We haven't missed Horvat yet at all either.     Millers almost as good in the dot.    And traded from a position of excess, to fill a massive need.    

Only thing the jury is still out on is how good is Hronek, and how long will it take for his addition to make an impact on a D-core that needs an overhaul.    As far as building this team, it was a vital  addition.   Even the players know the D is an issue.   EP talked about this at the all-star game.    They also need better PKers, although Tochett made some inroads, and both EP and Miller sure found the back of the net ...

Down the stretch Tochett used our AHLers ... and without Horvat, our PK actually got better.     

Sure glad Benning is gone.   OEL...hasn't aged well at all.  

As for signing guys "for free".   We weren't going to fill a hole for free.   The cost for some certainty,  is very high.   But for sure also makes a difference in building a team.    If Severson wants to be a Canuck and takes a discount, I say go for it.   We'd actually solve our D for an extended period of time by doing so.  He's a legit top four D, and could he like Toews for Makar.     We can go 10% over the cap in the off season.    

The teams well past drafting their core now.   Now it's time to make trades and sign some free agents to finish the job.   Draft picks now are about having some guys pushing for jobs down the road to balance the cap,  and creating a succession plan as well.    And also to be used to plug holes via trades.    Don't be shocked to see number 11 overall be traded if it fills a vital need (I doubt we do though).    We need Allvin to keep it up, and not to get hasty, be patient, but strike when the irons hot.   Loved the Horvat trade.    We've been b!tching about RHDs forever.    There is a possibility, that we could draft them too.   That would sure be nice.   Benning, good grief, LHD fetish. 

A lot of good points but don't really agree with the Button stance that the team needed to be blown up if we kept the pick. What if Detroit didn't make the trade, we're screwed? I guess then it was desperation after all?

Anyways I don't agree with that statement. We could have kept the pick and just signed Severson in free agency and perhaps have had the same result, or made another move. Either way, it filled a major hole like you said so I don't have a problem with it. I mean let's face facts we we're/are kind of desperate. Last year we had zero RD, now we have one.

Good post Ibatch.

2 hours ago, Petey Castiglione said:

There's going to be a lot of movement in the league this offseason.  Hopefully we can take advantage of peripheral deals with low cost, high value.

Boy howdy do I wish we had cap space, or extra picks, or an abundance of prospects, or extra quality players that weren't low/mid value wingers to take advantage of this summer. 

• Cheers 1

CBJ traded for Severson’s rights and signed him to a long term contract. This is the time to steal Boqvist before he stops getting injured and turns it around. With our cap situation these are the targets we need to acquire and hope to hit on. Something like Boqvist for Hoglander straight up or swing one of our 3rd round picks on it.

29 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

CBJ traded for Severson’s rights and signed him to a long term contract. This is the time to steal Boqvist before he stops getting injured and turns it around. With our cap situation these are the targets we need to acquire and hope to hit on. Something like Boqvist for Hoglander straight up or swing one of our 3rd round picks on it.

You spell Peeke funny.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

You spell Peeke funny.

When you try to balance their d line they have more of a need for a bigger steady body on the backend like Peeke but Boqvist on the 3rd pair doesn’t make a ton of sense especially stunting Jiricek from making the roster. If it were me Peeke would be the guy I’d keep to balance out Columbus’ d corp. Boqvist I feel like is the easier ask. He should be attainable and is a great buy low target.

43 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

When you try to balance their d line they have more of a need for a bigger steady body on the backend like Peeke but Boqvist on the 3rd pair doesn’t make a ton of sense especially stunting Jiricek from making the roster. If it were me Peeke would be the guy I’d keep to balance out Columbus’ d corp. Boqvist I feel like is the easier ask. He should be attainable and is a great buy low target.

They have Severson now...then some mix of Jiricek, Gudbranson and Boqvist, with Bean and Blank both able to play right side as well as Ceulemans coming up.

I can't see them keeping both Gudbranson and Peeke. And we're not taking Gudbranson or his deal (nor are too many other people I'd wager). Pluse Peeke doesn't really do the face punching they brought him in for in the first place. 

I think Peek's available personally. And regardless, speaking of balance and fit, we don't really need Boqvist either given the Hronek acquisition.

Just now, aGENT said:

They have Severson now...then some mix of Jiricek, Gudbranson and Boqvist, with Bean and Blank both able to play right side as well as Ceulemans coming up.

I can't see them keeping both Gudbranson and Peeke. And we're not taking Gudbranson or his deal (nor are too many other people I'd wager). Pluse Peeke doesn't really do the face punching they brought him in for in the first place. 

I think Peek's available personally. And regardless, speaking of balance and fit, we don't really need Boqvist either given the Hronek acquisition.

They also have LD Mateychuk who was drafted 12th overall last year with Jiricek. 

There’s an argument to be made to trade one of their more offensive defenders considering Boqvist, Ceulemans, Mateychuk and Jiricek all have offensive toolsets.  Probably not Jiricek has he has more to him than offensive play and Mateychuk has a bit of that too and is the only one who is a lefty. 

Boqvist is the one that’s much easier to replace than Peeke. They also seem to prefer Peeke when it comes to ice times. 

I reckon Boqvist moves. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

They also have LD Mateychuk who was drafted 12th overall last year with Jiricek. 

There’s an argument to be made to trade one of their more offensive defenders considering Boqvist, Ceulemans, Mateychuk and Jiricek all have offensive toolsets.  Probably not Jiricek has he has more to him than offensive play and Mateychuk has a bit of that too and is the only one who is a lefty. 

Boqvist is the one that’s much easier to replace than Peeke. They also seem to prefer Peeke when it comes to ice times. 

I reckon Boqvist moves. 

Move Boqvist, slap Ceulemens in the A, and ride Gudbranson as a 7D? Very likely. But, still gonna hope we can pry Peeke or Ceulemens outta CBJ.

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I reckon Boqvist moves. 

Boqvist may be on the way out eventually as well...don't see how/why they keep Peeke though. Honestly Severson, Jiricek, Gudbranson as your RD, a depth guy as spare, with Ceul in the A as call up seems like the way to go to me personally...

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Move Boqvist, slap Ceulemens in the A, and ride Gudbranson as a 7D? Very likely. But, still gonna hope we can pry Peeke or Ceulemens outta CBJ.

Or maybe Jiricek needs another year. Or Gud plays 3rd LD. Either way they got insurance with Gud.

Lucky that Gud’s contract isn’t too much longer. He expires when Peeke, 3rd overall(if he plays next year) Jiricek and a few others need contracts. Not as much of a pickle as it could have been. 

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Or maybe Jiricek needs another year. Or Gud plays 3rd LD. Either way they got insurance with Gud.

Lucky that Gud’s contract isn’t too much longer. He expires when Peeke, 3rd overall(if he plays next year) Jiricek and a few others need contracts. Not as much of a pickle as it could have been. 

Truuuuue, I keep forgetting Jiricek is still a teenager. There's literally no rush for Ceulemans or Jiricek. Both can play in the A if need be.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Boqvist may be on the way out eventually as well...don't see how/why they keep Peeke though. Honestly Severson, Jiricek, Gudbranson as your RD, a depth guy as spare, with Ceul in the A as call up seems like the way to go to me personally...

Perhaps but it seems sensible to keep him in comparison to others. He plays a style they lack, fits in their age group and can play the top 4 cheaper than anyone else on the roster. 

Jiricek may take time to establish himself too so it’s also a good stop gap. 

I reckon they try to move on from Guddy before Peeke as well. Peeke may well be gone in time as Jiricek progresses but he has good value to CBJ in the short term as Jiricek establishes himself. I don’t see any rush. They have 3 seasons till he expires. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Truuuuue, I keep forgetting Jiricek is still a teenager. There's literally no rush for Ceulemans or Jiricek. Both can play in the A if need be.

Yeah. Peeke has 3 years left at a cheap contract, the same time Jiricek’s ELC ends. Serves as a stop gap for Jiricek and even if he outplays early you got a fairly cheap Right Side that plays more than they’re worth for 3 years.