The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

6 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Who told you we get 7 mil cap space now? that would only happen if pearson's doctors took care of his ankle and he went LTIR. We take the REDUCED CAP HIT FOR DOUBLE THE REMAINING CONTRACT

Look at the myriad of tweets from legit sources. There is practically no cap hit for this season from the buyout.

• Cheers 1

So basically we took on Arizona's big headache, gave them a 1st and 2nd rounder in the process, and got Garland back as a souvenir. 

Joking aside, I'm neutral about this buyout. Unlike most fans I don't see a window anywhere. Not in 2 years (retool won't work with this core), not in 5 years (we are throwing away draft pick as we speak). So if there's no window, cap hardly matters. 

I still think best way moving forward is one trade for either a D or C.

Sign one and grab a decent Backup goalie.

If we have 12 mill in cap space no more the 7 on two player should we spend.

Like I said Hogs can replace Beau so trade him with a 4th for a center or trade Garland and a 4th. Something like that.

Myers keep unless we can get a third or so,trade at tdl.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, brbetts542 said:

I think the shrewd move moving forward is taking on 2 years of bad cap with a sweetener. In a player Clancy thinks is an upgrade on oel. Maybe that’s how this deal was sold to Aquaman.

Weaponizing cap is the dumbest thing ever.

We just bought something like 2million of cap 8 months ago with a 2nd rounder trading Dickinson..? Now we do the opposite of that..? Where does that get us? Negative value? 

And you are suggesting Aquilini just spent 19million just to buy a 1st or something like that? More like Aquaillini believes strongly in our core and spent 19million so we can retool this team to contend in the coming 2 years. 

So anyone thinking we are weaponizing our cap is just wrong. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I still think best way moving forward is one trade for either a D or C.

Sign one and grab a decent Backup goalie.

If we have 12 mill in cap space no more the 7 on two player should we spend.

Like I said Hogs can replace Beau so trade him with a 4th for a center or trade Garland and a 4th. Something like that.

Myers keep unless we can get a third or so,trade at tdl.

There are rumors about other teams in cap trouble having to give away good players, even attaching sweeteners. (As we were with Garland and Boeser). Like Carlo or Grzelcyk from Boston.

I look at Tampa, and have trouble knowing what they will do. They are essentially at the cap now, with 6 roster spots to fill and some big RFAs to sign. What can they do? Will they have to trade one if their newly signed core players like Cirelli, Sergachev, or Cernak? Almost everyone else with salary has a clause to work around.

There’s a lot that could shake loose. And this buyout puts Vancouver in a position to take advantage of the situation, rather than being victims of it.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

8 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Look at the myriad of tweets from legit sources. There is practically no cap hit for this season from the buyout.

I think this decision was made by the same "legit" twitter twats.

in two years when we have to renew Petey and Huges and Kuz, we get a 5 MIL dead cap for two years. and then another 4 years dead cap over 2 MIL per year till 2031.

So unless we win the cup this coming season, you gotta wait another 10 so keep twittering your life away

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

All winners use LTIR to gain way more on the cap. OEL was a killer to us. We can actually win now he’s gone. This is a great move and thank you Aquilini. 

LTIR is not dead cap.

9 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I hate being a wet blanket but I didn’t spend the last few months saying this was a dumb move only to pretend to love it when it happens. 

That said, there are for sure some positives.

-I rooted for OEL but never really his fit on the team as an LH PP guy stuck behind Hughes.

-Now we can keep (or at least not pay to give away) players I actually like in Boeser, Garland and Beauvillier

-this makes the offseason way more interesting as it really seemed like we were stuck before

-way less likely to move the 11OA as part of a trade down cap dump

-Maybe we can find the cap to keep Bear (I like Bear)

-most importantly: maybe Allvin has a master plan to leverage the league cap crunch and we get a key piece out of this somehow some way 

I wasn't for the buyout but now that I'm getting used to the idea of it, I'm not as strongly against it as I was.  

Allvin did say that he was against buying players out.  This was after Rutherford said that if they couldn't free up cap in other ways, that buyouts would be on the table.  I think that they have exhausted other ways to free cap space before taking this route.

I think that you're right, there is no longer a great need to "give away" assets for cap space.  Whether this means draft picks, the 11th OA or prospects like Hoglander or Podkolzin.  

I still think that future moves should be modest in light of the difficulty they've surely experienced in trying to free cap space.  Make no mistake, buying out OEL is a big deal and maybe a last resort.  They would be foolish to give all the free cap ($6.4M) unless they're adding more than 1 important piece who fits with their long term goals.  What I mean is a top 4 D and/or a 3C.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

You only give 1 example where the chance of that repeating require top pairing dmen on an elc which is highly irreplaceable by this team, especially given out luck. 

Chances of getting a better player than OEL on short terms is significantly higher than what the Avs did, especially with our rotten luck. 

I'll give you that recent champions didn't have dead cap but going back to 2017, the Pens won the cap with 1.1M in dead cap which adjusted for inflation is around the ball park of our potential $2M in dead cap. It is something that is clearly manageable. Heck the Pens did it twice. 

It doesn't have to be just an anchor on the 3rd pair.  There could be anchors on 4th lines or 3rd lines up front.  Anchors in backup goalies, etc.  Bottomline is most teams have a bad contract or anchor on their roster.  Doesn't mean they can't succeed.  Dead cap on the other hand has been pretty evident that it is a huge detriment to building a cup champion.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

And up until this year there was no team in NHL history that has won a cup with a $10 million player on its roster.  Vegas blew that one out of the water, so the dead cap thingy is also meaningless in this new era.  Once the cap hits $100 million that extra $2 million in years 5-8 will mean nothing. 

Even at $100M, the dead cap would be about the equivalent of 1.75M in today's cap world.  That's a pretty solid bottom 6 forward or 3rd pair defenceman.

20 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Yeah, but he was 30 then, and finally getting a fresh start on a new team. He turns 32 next month. What is more likely? That he recreates that modicum of success? Or that he is somewhere in-between decent and horrible?

He's not starting the season with a buggered up foot like last year so he should be better.   Having said that, the free cap space clearly outweighs the dead cap hit over 8 years

So many strange ideas..

1. Taking on bad contracts for "sweeteners" is a rebuilding move

2. Now we have the cap to resign Baer who is injured, looking for a raise after barely making two different teams before our terrible D core

How about we move out some more crap And build a competitive team? Lmao. I think this is just the begining! Sign a actual NHL caliber D to play with Hughes, find a cheap 3C who can kill penalties. And trade Beau for an extra pick this draft retain 1.5  get a 2nd maybe? 3rd. Looks for trades like a 3rd And Rathbone for a 2nd. Drop more cap gain more picks. 

2 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

I think this decision was made by the same "legit" twitter twats.

in two years when we have to renew Petey and Huges and Kuz, we get a 5 MIL dead cap for two years. and then another 4 years dead cap over 2 MIL per year till 2031.

So unless we win the cup this coming season, you gotta wait another 10 so keep twittering your life away

This “dead cap” thing is a bit of a fallacy. We were paying OEL regardless, thanks to Benning & Co. So what really matters is if we can find an equivalent-or-better defenseman for the difference in salary between the buyout hit and the original salary. If we can, and it’s significant enough, then it can be worth the hit in years 5-8.

Seeing how terrible OEL was last year, it’s not a stretch to believe he’ll be easily replaceable (or better) in say, years 3 and 4 of the deal.

• There it is 1

7 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Oh man ive been singing the praises of GMPA and the hairless compadres

but this move.. i really didnt want it

i dont see why they couldnt do this next year if OEL didnt bounce back

Id say theres a 50/50 chance OEL goes on to have a big bounce back year for another team, and we're left holding this stupid bag

i agree though, the only way to salvage this would be weaponizing this cap space to get a high value asset or two from a really strapped team

Wtf is our D going to look like next year, now with OEL gone and Bear injured

Hughes - ???

??? - Hronek

??? - Myers

I mean now im pretty confident they're gonna qualify Bear and shove him on LTIR to start the year

But clearly theyre not keen on being patient so they're not gonna ride into next year with Juulsen on Hughes right side. 

Juulsen and Woo are gonna get a hard look this year. I have a feeling JRPA have a plan and their eyes set on some signings or trades. I trust these guys. 

29 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Didnt like it before it was announced, don't like the move now, but what's done is done.

Whether this is good or not remains to be seen in what's done with the cap space, how OEL plays next season, exc.

As the Canucks Central guys were saying, atleast we can be players now, that's a positive. Hopefully it all works out.

There's a "big picture" plan taking place with these guys. The cost to trade salaries/cap was just too much. PA has his cap space and JR has the wisdom and experience to put a team together. More to come I'm thinking. Trader Jim is revving up his engine.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Too funny! But actually something previous management would have done. 

Oh I'm serious. 

2 of Boeser/Garland/Beauvellier + Myers 

to SJ for Karlsson

Hughes Karlsson

Hirose Hronek

Brisebos Bear

Ratbone

Let's do this!

Shake And Bake GIF by The Heckler by TBS

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

This “dead cap” thing is a bit of a fallacy. We were paying OEL regardless, thanks to Benning & Co. So what really matters is if we can find an equivalent-or-better defenseman for the difference in salary between the buyout hit and the original salary. If we can, and it’s significant enough, then it can be worth the hit in years 5-8.

Seeing how terrible OEL was last year, it’s not a stretch to believe he’ll be easily replaceable (or better) in say, years 3 and 4 of the deal.

I guess you dont remember the Luongo Dead Cap issues? Guess youre not a long time canuck fan. The peak of the OEL cap hit will be in 2 and 3 years which is the point we wont be able to afford Petey and Kuz contract renewals. OEL could have been traded in the same way we got him.... Ownership getting rid of Erikkson at whatever cost.... we were the suckers then, we should have bought Erikkson out at the time

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, D-Money said:

There are rumors about other teams in cap trouble having to give away good players, even attaching sweeteners. (As we were with Garland and Boeser). Like Carlo or Grzelcyk from Boston.

I look at Tampa, and have trouble knowing what they will do. They are essentially at the cap now, with 6 roster spots to fill and some big RFAs to sign. What can they do? Will they have to trade one if their newly signed core players like Cirelli, Sergachev, or Cernak? Almost everyone else with salary has a clause to work around.

There’s a lot that could shake loose. And this buyout puts Vancouver in a position to take advantage of the situation, rather than being victims of it.

Yes but we still need holes filled and to stay in nder the cap and leave room for the next couple years.

That's why I think a good trade with a team that has cap room we can fill one of our three spots.

Filling the others we can bring a player up and ufa the other.This way we have cap room moving forward.