The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

So what’s the next move?

If we can now take advantage of another cap strapped team, relieving them of a decent 3C or D (eg. Forbort), what are we sending them back? Some of our surplus 3rd/4th round picks this year? Prospects? 2024/25 picks?

If options for a hockey trade (winger for center or D), were held up due to cap, can we move forward on them now?

Given how thin the UFA market is, will we try to acquire rights to Soucy or Graves ahead of July 1?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Other teams also have players that can be traded there.  Niederreiter just went from Nashville to Winnipeg.   Is Garland someone they see helping them in the post-season because that's the aim. 

Also Dubois is asking for about 9M.  If a trade materialises whichever teams trades for him are going to have to send players back and likely more than 1 given his ask.   Possibly also for Scheifele and Hellebuyck.  Their contracts are high enough that teams might not clear enough by sending only 1 player back.  

Niederreiter is only signed for one more year, and then he is gone.  Garland gives them term and a player who will stick around for 3 more years.  Sure, they probably take players back for PLD, Scheifele and Hellebuyck.  However, they need 23 guys to ice a team, so they will need several guys with term coming back, not just one or two...

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Niederreiter is only signed for one more year, and then he is gone.  Garland gives them term and a player who will stick around for 3 more years.  Sure, they probably take players back for PLD, Scheifele and Hellebuyck.  However, they need 23 guys to ice a team, so they will need several guys with term coming back, not just one or two...

They had the cap to trade for Garland instead of Niederreiter.  Size still important especially for the post-season and Garland doesn't even have playoff pedigree to prove that he can overcome his lack of size.  

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Our next best move would probably be to try and trade a wing for a 3rd C in a cap for cap move so that we could spend more cap on D. 

Maybe we end up even saving cap in the trade

Scott Laughton, Colton Sissons for trade.  Nick Bjugstad as a UFA.  Those would be my 3 top picks for a 3C.

Charlie Coyle is intersting too.  Boston has a huge cap problem.  So they need to trade somebody to open up cap space...

23 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

I won't be surprised if OEL just retires. The fire has been gone from him a long time ago. He might not even like plating hockey anymore. 

Man I wonder how much he regrets putting Vancouver on his list. 

Not more than us.

9 minutes ago, mll said:

They had the cap to trade for Garland instead of Niederreiter.  Size still important especially for the post-season and Garland doesn't even have playoff pedigree to prove that he can overcome his lack of size.  

I don't think playoff pedigree is gonna be too important for Winnipeg moving forward if they are forced to trade almost half their team.  They are looking right now just to stay relevant and get some assets that will actually be on the roster for the next few years...

15 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Our next best move would probably be to try and trade a wing for a 3rd C in a cap for cap move so that we could spend more cap on D. 

Maybe we end up even saving cap in the trade

That would be optimal for sure

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Not more than us.

He's getting paid 20 million to do nothing, I'm sure he's okay with it.

Now he can get paid even more to play in whichever city he wants (granted they're interested).

He's the only winner here.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

$10.5 million to be exact.  Did Aquilini really want to pay OEL $10.5 million this season?  The total owing to OEL was $29 million over the next 4 years.  With the buyout, Aquilini owes him $17,013,336, but it is spread out over the 8-year buyout period.  The misconception is that Aquilini has to pay OEL $20 million on a buyout, which is not true.  Arizona has to pay almost $2.5 million of that.  Also, there is a misconception that Aquilini has to write a big upfront cheque.  That is also not true.  The money owing to OEL is spread out over the 8-year buyout period. 

According to CapFriendly, the money owed to OEL is $2,126,667 each year for the next 8 years.  This is in comparison to Aquilini having to write a $10.5 million cheque this year to keep him around.  This is an actual savings for Aquilini, a huge savings this year.  Yes, we will be replacing OEL on teh roster so Aquilini has to pay that contract, however the goal is to make the playoffs so Aquilini can recoup that money with playoff money and maybe a Stanley Cup too...

But doesn't OEL need to be replaced?  I assume a top 4 LHD will be at least $4M per year for the next 4 years.  That means $16M plus the $17M owed to OEL... $33M out of Aquilini’s pocket instead of $29M.  So $4M extra cost overall.

• Cheers 2

23 hours ago, mordekai said:

Actually according to Drance article today.. to build for long term he actually said buyout oel. 
I don't agree usually with Drance but in this case if Canucks take on a bad contract for next two years and say trade up their 11th pick to 5th? that would make a lot of sense.

With 7mil cap savings this year and cap expecting to rise next year 2-3mil. Without Myers and OEL, they are looking at 13mil of cap space to weaponized while building for the future. They just can't go out and sign a few 28year old 6x6. 

Rock On Mind Blown GIF by Danny Flam You lost me

A more pathetic excuse for a hockey "journalist" I have not seen.