The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Just now, Lewlowned said:

These stats are a big reason I was not for an OEL buyout. Him returning, healthy, for next season to gauge where he really is would’ve been useful. 

That's under a head coach that is no long employed by the Canucks.  Check out his numbers in Arizona under Tocchet as their head coach.  I'd hazard to guess they sucked (given that one was on the main excuses by those in explaining away his decline in Arizona).

5 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

So I thought about this a fair bit. Pearson coming back changes the picture quite dramatically. We'll have around 9.5 million of cap we can spend instead of 12. 

Minimum needs:

1x top-4 LD

1x Penalty killing 3C

1x Backup goalie

2x third pair defensemen

Im like 90% sure this is the outcome:

1. Qualify Bear

2. Re-sign Juulsen

3. Get one of the big name LD from UFA (Graves or Soucy) (4m x 4 ish)

4. Get a 3C from UFA

4. Fill 3rd pairing from within

5. Bring back Burroughs

Start of the season something like this:

Hughes-Juulsen

Soucy-Hronek

Wolanin-Burroughs

Yikes.

Once Bear returns from injury:

Hughes-Bear

Soucy-Hronek

Wolanin-Juulsen

Oof. 

We are not gonna be a good team unless management can move one of Garland Boeser or Beauvillier. That Defense just isnt adequate. 

Is Pearson coming back an actual thing now? Didn't sound like he was going to be back any time soon...

Still, I can see us making a trade like I've proposed before... Help the Rangers out with their cap situation and move Garland for Goodrow + Lindgren (maybe a mid pick for the cap relief). Additional $1.7m in cap but we have our 3C and 3LD for this season. And Lindgren expires next summer, clearing $3m. Bonus points if we can get Laff for Rathbone or similar (skip the mid pick).

Rangers do it to shed almost $2m and upgrade at RW.

Otherwise, we also have cheaper UFA options at C as well.

But yes, Graves (or a trade for a Carlo, Pesce etc) would be priority #1.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty much.

I don’t see some people stressing enough importance on the backup goaltending position.

For me it’s two top 4 D men and then backup goalie.

I'm pretty comfortable letting Clark do his thing with whoever he deems worthwhile...likely a guy for near league min. I wouldn't even be opposed to running it back with Martin, behind a team with additional offseason improvements, and actual structure/puck support in front of him, instead of the manure filled train wreck we saw last year.

On 6/22/2023 at 3:43 AM, IBatch said:

This is exactly what the team tried to do to get cap.   It just didn't work.   Who knows what the price was to dump cap,  they've already said they will be sticking with Myers.   And Brock.    Garland and Beau especially maybe they can move one of them later, likely Beau.    They just weren't willing to wait a year I suppose, to "see how it goes" with the same roster, except Hronek. 

How could they try to do it before giving OEL the chance at a bounce back season? I said move a forward for the immediate cap relief as we have some depth there. Give OEL next season for a rebound. It's not like we'll be a contender next year anyway. A decent rebound and he could be moved with max, or close to it, retention. If he didn't, you buyout next year with a lower cap hit that ends a year sooner. I don't see the negative in waiting a year.

• Cheers 2

The debate of spending on a good backup vs either 3C or another D is interesting. Personally, I'd rather just throw a league min goalie there and add a 3C or try get two actually quality defenders if possible. One true top 4 and maybe a top 4/5 tweener like Soucy, or more likely two top 4/5 tweeners that can PK and hope Hronek and Hughes can carry their partners 5 on 5.

This team can outscore most teams if we had even a middle of the pack defence. The thing was, last season we had an injured Demko AND an AHL defence and an historically bad PK for large portions of the season. Adding a good backup would be nice, but like I said. I feel we can outscore teams on any given night. We just need a defence and a PK that is even middle of the pack good.

56 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Is Pearson coming back an actual thing now? Didn't sound like he was going to be back any time soon...

Still, I can see us making a trade like I've proposed before... Help the Rangers out with their cap situation and move Garland for Goodrow + Lindgren (maybe a mid pick for the cap relief). Additional $1.7m in cap but we have our 3C and 3LD for this season. And Lindgren expires next summer, clearing $3m. Bonus points if we can get Laff for Rathbone or similar (skip the mid pick).

Rangers do it to shed almost $2m and upgrade at RW.

Otherwise, we also have cheaper UFA options at C as well.

But yes, Graves (or a trade for a Carlo, Pesce etc) would be priority #1.

They can shed 3.8M and keep Lindgren by simply buying out Goodrow.  The contract is structured in such a way that he has a negative buyout cap hit the 1st 2 years so his cap hit is entirely removed.  Year 4 is ugly at 3.6M but Panarin+Trouba come off the books that year (over 19M).   NYR has used buyouts in the past.  

Dolan had a tirade about his team being far too skilled and not having enough size and grit to win in the post-season.  Was in part the reason he fired Davidson/Gorton and replaced them with Drury.  Wouldn't expect them to consider Garland.  Laviolette also says there will be increased opportunities for Lafrenière/Kakko.  Says NYR need them to become the players they projected them to be.  Can't give them larger roles if they continue to add guys on top of them.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I'm pretty comfortable letting Clark do his thing with whoever he deems worthwhile...likely a guy for near league min. I wouldn't even be opposed to running it back with Martin, behind a team with additional offseason improvements, and actual structure/puck support in front of him, instead of the manure filled train wreck we saw last year.

Too risky to bring Martin back IMO.

We have to accept that he might just be an AHL goalie that got hot once. If he continues to struggle under the new system it’s gonna put way more pressure on both Demko and Tocchett to play him more. We can’t have that.

Edited by DeNiro

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We have to accept that he might just be an AHL goalie that got hot once. If he continues to struggle under the new system it’s gonna put way more pressure on both Demko and Tocchett to play him more. We can’t have that.

I'm just saying I trust Clark. Whatever they do, Martin, Delia, Silovs or otherwise will be fine and likely shouldn't cost us large sums of cap, whatever the solution is.

<<< Not particularly worried.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm just saying I trust Clark. Whatever they do, Martin, Delia, Silovs or otherwise will be fine and likely shouldn't cost us large sums of cap, whatever the solution is.

<<< Not particularly worried.

I mean Clark will do the best with who he has I’m sure.

I would feel a lot more comfortable with an established NHL goalie. Someone who could take over as number 1 for stretches of the season if need be.

• Vintage 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

I mean Clark will do the best with who he has I’m sure.

I would feel a lot more comfortable with an established NHL goalie. Someone who could take over as number 1 for stretches of the season if need be.

Probably not going to happen THIS season given how many other pieces we need, and a still flat cap.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Probably not going to happen THIS season given how many other pieces we need, and a still flat cap.

Well we squeezed in Halak for pretty cheap before.

Didn’t work out obviously but I don’t think it has to cost too much.

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Well we squeezed in Halak for pretty cheap before.

Didn’t work out obviously but I don’t think it has to cost too much.

Would be nice to shore that position up.   And 1-2 should cover it.    Like aGENT, not sure it's a luxury we can afford, and like you not sure it's a risk we should take after last years goaltending for sure played a big part in the team missing the show.     They absolutely have to acquire another NHL D,  a top four one, that is a solid PKer.    Pretty sure there is money there for one now, with or without a trade attached.    There isn't much left though, for a quality 3C and a goalie.    They for sure can do all three if they can work a trade in for Beau.    Maybe we have to retain.     

Edit:  Reading above, for sure i'd take two top four D's.   If we can manage that, our D core might be re-tooled in one off-season.   We'd have our four guys. plus Myers and we've got enough 6-8th guys already in the system.    Next year we'd need to add one more quality guy to replace Myers and we'd be pretty set.     As for 3C's, that will come.  Raty hopefully.    If not maybe it could be kicked down the lane another year.     This years pick likely is a C or a D.  

Edited by IBatch

10 hours ago, Baggins said:

How could they try to do it before giving OEL the chance at a bounce back season? I said move a forward for the immediate cap relief as we have some depth there. Give OEL next season for a rebound. It's not like we'll be a contender next year anyway. A decent rebound and he could be moved with max, or close to it, retention. If he didn't, you buyout next year with a lower cap hit that ends a year sooner. I don't see the negative in waiting a year.

This isn't the script I wanted or expected so we agree on that.    Now that it's done, at the very least we can enjoy the options it created that we didn't have before to improve the team.   It's what happens next in the most cap strapped environment the leagues faced to date.   Last time this happened, flat cap for awhile.   They had a mini walkout (2009 crisis), and agreed on two free buyouts.   We bought our Booth and Ballard.   Was hoping they'd do allow that but doesn't look that way.   Already we've some low one year deals for NHL vets.    Monahan.   Teams and players are going to have to sacrifice.     Would be great if we could get a decent blue chip vet looking for a bigger pay day.    Klingberg likely is a big loser from

last year.    Not interested in him on a long term deal, and pretty sure no other team is either.   There will be quite a few available on the cheap, looking for a long term deal (so will work their butts off).    Those guys will pick teams that will give them them minutes.   Advantage us for D's anyways.   And 3C's.    

Wont take long for all the teams to be at full cap or over the cap.    Wonder how many other teams will join us with  buyouts before the draft.   And July 1.      Expect quite a few before the season starts, hopefully us doing it first gives us a crack at a couple things we wouldn't otherwise have.    For sure this could backfire, but can hope it doesn't at least.   Meanwhile there is always this method of coping as a  fan! Los Angeles Clippers GIF

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Lol does this mean we let go of a great player?

At 3.25 I would have had no problem with OEL. At 7.25 there’s no way he could continue here.

He is a negative value player in my opinion. OEL has been on the decline since he was in the Coyote organization, his play steadily worsen year after year. It was thought that he would have been rejuvenated coming to Vancouver but  that was not the case.

They can talk all they want about him getting better next year but we’ve heard that song and dance before. 

OEL at a league min contract is overpayment! 

Good riddance. 

• Wat 1

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Martin looks amazing as a backup in his short stint the year before.  Silovs looked more than ready last year.  Honestly,  silovs is a future #1 here.. we need to be patient with his development.  Only bring him up when hes 100 percent ready.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Martin looks amazing as a backup in his short stint the year before.  Silovs looked more than ready last year.  Honestly,  silovs is a future #1 here.. we need to be patient with his development.  Only bring him up when hes 100 percent ready.

I think he is that ready. I could see Silovs play 25-30 games and win most of them. We need every point we can get to make the playoffs. Can’t mess around with average to below average goaltending.