The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

5 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

The part of the buyout that hurts the most is is years 3 and 4 when this team is supposed to hit it's competitive peak. 

Cap will go up and by the BB,Myers,Pearson,Garland and so on will be gone.Younger guys will be in the lineup and things will be ok.

Stressing about it now when with OEL in the team would have been WAY worse so think about that.

20 minutes ago, dougieL said:

Those are probably also the years that OEL's 7.26m will be an even bigger anchor than it already was.

Sure, but as the deal carried less term there may have been opportunity to move him, though. 

And the buyout would still have been available with less dead term and cap.

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Sure, but as the deal carried less term there may have been opportunity to move him, though. 

And the buyout would still have been available with less dead term and cap.

OEL has a no move clause - I really doubt we could have traded him at any point in his contract. And even if we could, think about what assets we need to give up to unload him.

A buyout later into his contract would not have nearly the cap savings that we get with a buyout this summer.

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Size does matter…

I really hope this move precedes some talent-poaching from cap strapped teams

Gimme Carlo & take Reilly if we have to

Get Soucy or Graves in UFA

Ill forgive GMPA for this move if our D looks like this next year:

Hughes-Carlo

Graves-Hronek

Reilly-Myers

*Wolanin

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, dougieL said:

OEL has a no move clause - I really doubt we could have traded him at any point in his contract. And even if we could, think about what assets we need to give up to unload him.

A buyout later into his contract would not have nearly the cap savings that we get with a buyout this summer.

Sure, but part of Drance’s article talks about how it’s strange that OEL and his agent were taken by surprise.  Normally, the club would tell him he’s on the block to be bought out and he would at bare minimum submit a list.  I think at that point they’d be pretty frank - include some teams that are taking on cap for picks - or you’re getting bought out.  

Even if the Canucks retain half of his 7 mil cap hit, that’s less dead cap than what the penalty is - without all the extra years beyond his contract.  

Yes it would cost assets but you’d be saving cap in other ways, and over a longer timeline.

Putting in zero effort / patience to even exploring these options is certainly a decision.  One they boxed themselves into with the Mikheyev, Miller and Kuzmenko signings. 

Now they can totally come out of this as winners if they use the league wide cap crunch to add some players that would normally be unavailable or more expensive.  But if we just use the one-year 7 mil of space on a couple of ho-hum run of the mill UFAs (even guys I like such as Soucy and, say, Bjugstad) it would really seem like a long term waste. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I really hope this move precedes some talent-poaching from cap strapped teams

Gimme Carlo & take Reilly if we have to

Get Soucy or Graves in UFA

Ill forgive GMPA for this move if our D looks like this next year:

Hughes-Carlo

Graves-Hronek

Reilly-Myers

*Wolanin

Adding another top 4 d man from a team in a cap crunch would make the buy-out make a lot more sense.  (Assuming we have the assets to acquire them.)

So would taking on an expensive 3C that, as opposed to costing, may come with a decent draft pick attached.

I’d rather we use the space to chase a big ticket piece, or bank a prospect or two for the future, than just plug holes with average pieces.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Adding another top 4 d man from a team in a cap crunch would make the buy-out make a lot more sense.  (Assuming we have the assets to acquire them.)

So would taking on an expensive 3C that, as opposed to costing, may come with a decent draft pick attached.

I’d rather we use the space to chase a big ticket piece, or bank a prospect or two for the future, than just plug holes with average pieces.

Agree^

This team is always looking for 3C's as the top priority for some reason. 

Hey let's do Jason Dickenson all over again. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, dougieL said:

Those are probably also the years that OEL's 7.26m will be an even bigger anchor than it already was.

Also the years where it was easiest to trade him. Base salary goes from 8mil to 5mil the final 2 years of his deal. Not great, but still feels tradable. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

yea if theyre gonna play this that way

and use the space to acquire legitimately excelent players without giving up picks/prospects, in fact, weaponizing the cap space to take picks/prospects from others, im on board with this move

4 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Agree^

This team is always looking for 3C's as the top priority for some reason. 

Hey let's do Jason Dickenson all over again. 

Benning was clearly the worst GM we ever had. Now we have competent management like those great Gillis years. Good years ahead. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Also the years where it was easiest to trade him. Base salary goes from 8mil to 5mil the final 2 years of his deal. Not great, but still feels tradable. 

OEL had a full no move. He was here and a cancer unless bought out. Benning. :picard:

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

The cap hit still remains at 7.26 and he still has a no move clause. And his play is likely to have declined even more by then.

6 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

He should've been gone a lot earlier and it probably would have saved us from more of the suffering we're enduring now.

I remember the summer before the OEL trade and lots of chatter that Benning was interested in trading for him. But there was so much negativity about OEL’s fall in play and his contract being the worst in the league I thought there’s no way we would trade for him. Then the next summer Benning (for only reasons known to himself and Wisebrod) mske the worst trade in our club’s history. And after at least a year of negative stories about OEL! It just made no sense. Benning :picard:

29 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

He should've been gone a lot earlier and it probably would have saved us from more of the suffering we're enduring now.

But that wouldn't have been the Canuck way!

We love hanging on to coaches, managers, and especially players, well past their expiry dates!

56 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

What long term? It is 1 $2M dead cap in 8 years with rising cap if bought him out next year. Unless you want o advocate for riding his contract out which is way more detrimental to the team. That is equivalent to saying we give up for the next 4 years. 

It is not like the dead cap amount gonna change much if waited a year or two. Go look at the numbers. 

If we had management that was focused on the long term, we wouldn't be making short sighted trades and signings every year.

It's all the short term thinking that resulted in a buyout being (presumably) the best option to clear cap.